Author Topic: Dmitri Young's Fresh Start  (Read 808 times)

Offline nats2playoffs

Dmitri Young's Fresh Start
« Topic Start: April 04, 2007, 04:32:21 PM »
Dmitri Young drove in the winning run in the bottom of the 9th inning, for the Nationals first win in 2007.  I was optimistic about a guy who made 2006-Soriano-level money last year now working for under $1 million for us.  It has to be humbling, but his connection to Bowden and the Reds brought him here:

Young restless for fresh start with Nats (edited)
Feb. 20, 2007
By Scott Miller
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

VIERA, Fla. -- "...after the most traumatic year of his life, veteran Dmitri Young is still adjusting to his new surroundings.  "Let me put it to you this way: I'm surprised to be here in 2007," says Young, seated at a picnic table, eyes shaded by designer sunglasses.  Here in exile as a non-roster player, dressing at the Washington Nationals' minor league complex?  "Alive."  He pauses, allowing the words to soak into the still air that once was filled by cheering fans and a soaring career.

It was in November, he says, when he became so ill that his ex-wife called 911. He spent four days in a Fort Lauderdale hospital, three in the intensive care unit.  The diagnosis: Diabetes.  The result?  "I've found out who I am as a person," he says. "You realize you've got a second chance on life. I was supposed to be dead, with where my blood sugar was at. That's what the doctors and everybody who knows about diabetes told me, with where my numbers were at.  "They can't believe that I'm standing here talking about it."

...There was the strained right quadriceps that shelved him early last season. There was the domestic violence charge over a May incident with a now-former girlfriend to which he pleaded no contest. There was the leave of absence from the Detroit Tigers so he could enter an alcohol rehabilitation center in Malibu, Calif., for a month beginning in late May.  There were the warm emotions when he rejoined the Tigers following that, only to watch them turn to ashes when he was released in early September. And there was the absolute agony as the team that was his life for the past five years stormed through the playoffs and advanced to the World Series while Young not only was forced to watch from the sidelines, but. ...

Well, the timing of this part of the story is almost unbelievable.  As the Tigers charged into their first postseason since 1987 and the city of Detroit roared in October, Young essentially was a prisoner in his rented house in Farmington Hills as part of his punishment from the domestic abuse charge.  "In October, I had to do a breathalyzer for 30 straight days before I could leave the state," Young says. "And I had clinical depression because the Tigers were in the playoffs and I wasn't realizing my dream.  "I couldn't really go anywhere because people recognized me all over and would throw me a pity party. I couldn't go get milk from the store. It was a drag. It sucked.  "Especially for as many things as I'd done for the city in previous years. To go out like that, especially when I'm not that kind of person ... it kind of wears on you."

Regarding the assault charge, Young, who also is going through a divorce, says he held the woman down during an argument "to keep her from hitting me. Naturally, she bruised up."  For that, he eventually received 12 months' probation. That isn't up until September. Once a month, he must check in with his probation officer in Michigan.  Regarding the alcohol rehab, he says, "it definitely was a positive to get away, to listen to other people's problems. You can apply those to yourself, listen to how people want to change. It helps change you." 

Change isn't always something most people figured Young needed. The most perplexing thing about this tangled web is that, through the years, Young mostly has been viewed as one of baseball's good guys. Austin Kearns, an outfielder with the Nationals, was a minor league prospect in Cincinnati during the later part of Young's 1998-2001 stint with the Reds and still talks about his first major league spring training.  "He told us, 'Anything you need -- bats, batting gloves, shoes -- anything you see with my number on it, feel free to take,'" Kearns says. "And he told us we didn't even need to ask."

...Nationals GM Jim Bowden -- who was Cincinnati's GM when the one-time slugger was there -- is Young's sponsor.  "I wasn't planning on playing baseball this year," Young says. "My agent was talking with (Bowden) about getting me here, and I basically said, 'OK, I'll do it because of Jim Bowden.'"  In Detroit, where they're still not fully sure how Young's downward spiral accelerated so quickly, many are pulling for him from afar.  "I think if Dmitri wants to finish his career on a high note, I respect that," Tigers hitting coach Andy Van Slyke says. "The way things worked out for him last year was not something any athlete wants to go through. The reality is, very few athletes go out on their own terms.  "Speaking as a former player, when you don't go out on your terms, it takes you a long time to get over it. When you're a passionate guy, there's almost a mourning period."

...His new state? He says the kids surrounding him in Washington's minor league complex have helped bring him back to his roots and rekindled his passion for the game. He will repay them, he says, by dispensing whatever advice and wisdom he can. How to act like a big leaguer. What playing in Fenway Park is really like.  "Who knows," he says. "There might be two future Hall of Famers in here."  Meanwhile, he injects himself with insulin four times a day, and grabs a soft drink or -- get this -- a roll of Life Savers when his blood sugar is down.  Honest to gosh, that's what he says.  Life Savers.

Source: http://www.sportsline.com/print/mlb/story/10010336

Offline nats2playoffs

Re: Dmitri Young's Fresh Start
« Reply #1: April 17, 2007, 12:15:58 AM »
The Nationals pre-game show on Saturday featured Young.  His blood sugar reading was 893 when he landed in intensive care, in critical condition for three days, unaware that he had diabetes.  I knew a woman who had contracted it when she was 46.  She died at 48 when her blood sugar skyrocketed to a similar level. off the charts.  Confronting the fact that he SHOULD have died is something that makes Dimitri appreciate how short life can be. 

Offline NatMan

« Reply #2: April 17, 2007, 01:47:44 AM »
I love Dmitri and glad he is back and healthy.

« Reply #3: April 17, 2007, 09:21:35 AM »
He certainly has been a pleasant surprise.

Offline arlington

« Reply #4: April 17, 2007, 05:23:08 PM »
An unbalanced blood sugar level can make anyone act like they are insane.  I have seen mild versions of this with people who had age-onset diabetes but didn't yet know it. 

Diabetes and alcoholism don't go together well.  Young is very lucky to be alive, and he talks like he understands that.  It is nice that the Nats were able to be the vehicle he is using for his second chance. 

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #5: June 12, 2007, 07:14:30 PM »
This bumps the article published in Feb 2007; the domestic relations story is now highlighted in blue.  Young was later interviewed for Nats Xtra by Debbi Taylor, who reported the blood sugar reading, which was off the charts.  Young told her that the people at the hospital were amazed that he survived.  It changed his whole outlook on life.

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
« Reply #6: June 13, 2007, 12:32:09 AM »
The Nationals pre-game show on Saturday featured Young.  His blood sugar reading was 893 when he landed in intensive care, in critical condition for three days, unaware that he had diabetes.  I knew a woman who had contracted it when she was 46.  She died at 48 when her blood sugar skyrocketed to a similar level. off the charts.  Confronting the fact that he SHOULD have died is something that makes Dimitri appreciate how short life can be. 
(Image removed from quote.) 

you dont "contract" diabeties. there are two types. DM II is the most common one people get. you dont contract it from anothter person. its brought on by Obesity, Poor diet, drinking too much are the most common reasons.

there are the exception who get DM II who are not over weight, but other health factors. steriods can bring on diabeties. and i mean people who are taking steriods for health reasons, not enhancment.

it can be well controled with oral medications, diet and excercise. however, non- compliance is the most reason people end up in the ER. you got to think about what patient population that has DM II. they are usually, but not all, are over weight. and to tell a over weight person to go on a diet, is like telling a crack addict they cant smoke their pipe. its really hard to change old habbits.

but i hope D-thank has realized his chance, and he is doing something good about it. he could really help others if he wanted to reach out.... that have DM II

anywho... good for D-TANK!!

i can see him being a coach or something when he cant play anymore!

Im proud of him for turning his life around!

and im glad he is making me eat words!! :-P