Author Topic: The Lost Malaysian plane...  (Read 10925 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: The Lost Malaysian plane...
« Reply #26: March 10, 2014, 10:09:14 PM »
you''d have to get down to under 1k feet before radar wouldn't see the plane.

I could be wrong, but I'm almost sure that once you are away from land, there's no radar that's going to see you.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #27: March 10, 2014, 10:56:18 PM »
I cant believe they haven't found a black box.  Now One expert said if something happened to a window or a door; the decompression would happen within 5 seconds!  The pilot would not have a chance to do anything. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #28: March 11, 2014, 12:36:58 AM »
Yeah, but they found the entire tail stabiliser with AF logo and a lot of bodies. 

Nothing at all from this one.  Granted (having been in the water near there recently, I can confirm this) there are a crapload of sharks and other critters, but you would still expect foam-filled aluminum to float unless everything had been completely atomised. 

I saw this on reddit... and it did make me think for about a second... before dismissing it... but... don't biologist GPS a lot of sharks with some sort of tracker... wouldn't it be likely that a couple of sharks would be all over the bodies/blood if the plane crashed in the ocean... leading everyone to the plane?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #29: March 11, 2014, 05:58:48 AM »
I cant believe they haven't found a black box.  Now One expert said if something happened to a window or a door; the decompression would happen within 5 seconds!  The pilot would not have a chance to do anything.

It doesn't transmit a very strong signal. Two miles is what I read.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #30: March 11, 2014, 08:47:27 AM »
They may never find the black box (air France and airbus spent a fortune finding the last one lost at sea, who knows if boeing and Malaysia will be willing to do the same), I just can't believe they haven't found any debris - the thing must have incinerated midair otherwise you'd thing stuff would start floating to the surface

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #31: March 11, 2014, 09:16:12 AM »
The two passengers who travelled with the stolen passports - now identified as Iranians: http://gma.yahoo.com/mh370-passengers-stolen-passports-identified-iranians-105628437--abc-news-topstories.html

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #32: March 11, 2014, 11:23:23 AM »
Malaysia Airlines said in a statement that search and rescue teams expanded their scope to the Malacca Strait between Malaysia's western coast and Indonesia's Sumatra island -- the opposite side of Malaysia from the plane's last known location.

http://wtop.com/220/3578827/Man-with-stolen-passport-on-jet-was-asylum-seeker

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #33: March 11, 2014, 11:29:12 AM »
The Straits are one of the busiest shipping channels on earth...you'd think someone would have seen something if that scenario played out, even if it was the dead of night.  There's also a craptonne of naval presence there because of the history of piracy. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #34: March 11, 2014, 11:31:41 AM »
The Straits are one of the busiest shipping channels on earth...you'd think someone would have seen something if that scenario played out, even if it was the dead of night.  There's also a craptonne of naval presence there because of the history of piracy. 

Perhaps that's why they're going there.   Some one may have seen/heard something that night and it was dismissed because it didn't fit the pattern of thought.   

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #35: March 11, 2014, 11:32:31 AM »
Sounds like one of the Iranians with a stolen passport was just a teenage kid fleeing Iran to live in exile with his mom in Europe. So less likely terrorism than (another) tragedy.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #36: March 11, 2014, 11:33:29 AM »
Malaysia Airlines said in a statement that search and rescue teams expanded their scope to the Malacca Strait between Malaysia's western coast and Indonesia's Sumatra island -- the opposite side of Malaysia from the plane's last known location.

http://wtop.com/220/3578827/Man-with-stolen-passport-on-jet-was-asylum-seeker

So they really have no idea where it is

• babble on
« Reply #37: March 11, 2014, 11:34:24 AM »
I guess there's always the possibility that someone in the cockpit went freaknuts (like Egyptair 990).

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #38: March 11, 2014, 11:37:09 AM »
WAMU had a really good panel on the Diane Rheem show this morning discussing all the possibilities. I really recommend the podcast. I listened to it live because 270 was shut down in both directions while every cop in MD searched for 3 bank robbery suspects. I nearly crapped when these guys went past my car with heavy-duty rifles.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #39: March 11, 2014, 11:38:25 AM »
WAMU had a really good panel on the Diane Rheem show this morning discussing all the possibilities. I really recommend the podcast. I listened to it live because 270 was shut down in both directions while every cop in MD searched for 3 bank robbery suspects. I nearly crapped when these guys went past my car with heavy-duty rifles.

:shock:    Rhem's gotta be 100 years old by now.

• babble on
« Reply #40: March 11, 2014, 11:39:52 AM »
She's at the taxidermist as we speak...someone is filling in for her this week.

:shock:    Rhem's gotta be 100 years old by now.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #41: March 11, 2014, 11:41:13 AM »
She's at the taxidermist as we speak...someone is filling in for her this week.

I listened to her for years.    When she left because of the voice issue, I lost track of the program.    But that's a good line Ali.    :)

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #42: March 11, 2014, 11:43:39 AM »
The two passengers who travelled with the stolen passports - now identified as Iranians: http://gma.yahoo.com/mh370-passengers-stolen-passports-identified-iranians-105628437--abc-news-topstories.html

so who's supposed to bomb Iran- Malaysian flight full of Chinese nationals flying an american plane?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #43: March 11, 2014, 11:45:19 AM »
WAMU had a really good panel on the Diane Rheem show this morning discussing all the possibilities. I really recommend the podcast.

I doubt I'll have time to listen :( Was there a consensus that they felt was the most reasonable possibility?

• babble on
« Reply #44: March 11, 2014, 11:45:22 AM »
She's a force of nature...
I listened to her for years.    When she left because of the voice issue, I lost track of the program.    But that's a good line Ali.    :)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #45: March 11, 2014, 11:45:38 AM »
so who's supposed to bomb Iran- Malaysian flight full of Chinese nationals flying an american plane?

Tibetans?   Perhaps the same group that pulled off the attack at the Chinese RR station earlier this month.      Or, it simply blew up due to catastrophic failure.

• babble on
« Reply #46: March 11, 2014, 11:47:11 AM »
Pretty short list.  I guess the US Navy has some history when it comes to downing civilian airliners with Iranians on board. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #47: March 11, 2014, 11:49:42 AM »
Pretty short list.  I guess the US Navy has some history when it comes to downing civilian airliners with Iranians on board. 

When powerful countries shoot down planes, we just shrug- just ask the Koreans what happens if you stray into russian airspace. When countries that can't retaliate shoot down planes, we bomb them

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #48: March 11, 2014, 02:04:33 PM »
So the plane was WAY off course, lends more credence to the hijacking theory, no?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/11/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #49: March 11, 2014, 02:35:57 PM »

Unfortunately we passed on the chance to shoot down a commercial airliner with Bin Laden on it.  Sacrificing a couple hundred innocents might have been a cheap price to pay to prevent his evil.