Author Topic: DFAing ineffective players under long term contract.  (Read 400 times)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Why don't teams DFA players under long term contract who aren't playing well? They'd clear waivers and then could be outrighted to the minors. Toronto did it to Adam Lind and Ricky Romero, so why doesn't Atlanta do it to B.J. Upton and Dan Uggla, or Milwaukee do it to Rickie Weeks?

Offline PC

The player, with a certain amount of service time, could refuse to go to the minors and become a free agent.  The player might be underperforming for $10m a year but be doing just fine for the league minimum on another team.

Since his contract is guaranteed, the original team is still responsible for the $10m - league minimum so the original team loses the player plus still has to pay almost all of the salary.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
The player, with a certain amount of service time, could refuse to go to the minors and become a free agent.  The player might be underperforming for $10m a year but be doing just fine for the league minimum on another team.

Since his contract is guaranteed, the original team is still responsible for the $10m - league minimum so the original team loses the player plus still has to pay almost all of the salary.
So refusing the assignment and opting for free agency would not mean giving up the rest of the contract? Interesting. Okay. I dunno whay I even bothered asking this. I already knew that, but forgot it. Brain fart moment.