Author Topic: Where is Zimmerman killing us more - 2015, continued?  (Read 16829 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Re: Where is Zimmerman killing us more?
« Reply #25: February 18, 2014, 02:55:11 PM »
Boz is correct about his UZR last year. He wasn't good in 2012- 48th worst in the mlb. Maybe BiL and imref are both right about his positioning too. In that case, the logical conclusion seems to be that his defense is slipping, and first base here we come.

Or maybe the new metric is bullcrap and the geeks will still eat it up.  :stir:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #26: February 18, 2014, 02:58:18 PM »
Or maybe the new metric is bullcrap and the geeks will still eat it up.  :stir:

UZR is a new metric?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #27: February 18, 2014, 03:51:02 PM »
UZR is a new metric?

I thought the post earlier said they had a new addition to it? Did I misread that they added to it to measure something different?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #28: February 18, 2014, 03:53:13 PM »
I thought the post earlier said they had a new addition to it? Did I misread that they added to it to measure something different?

I was just looking at his past UZRs- Boz may be doing his own thing

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #29: February 18, 2014, 04:11:37 PM »
Yet most of the fan base thinks of him as a Gold Glove candidate.
He won a Gold Glove. What is your agenda anyway?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #30: February 18, 2014, 04:22:26 PM »
Huh? I had the same question.  Comparing where Wright and Zimmerman play in the same game is meaningless.  You would need to look at where Wright plays the batters of a given team, and look at where Zimmerman plays the batters of the same team, for a meaningful comparison.  Which is obviously impossible when they are playing against each other.

You're over analyzing it. A huge majority of the time both 3B play in the exact same spot. They might move in certain situations, of course.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #31: February 18, 2014, 04:25:06 PM »
2014 may be a battle between RZ's arm and MW's patience.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #32: February 18, 2014, 04:25:49 PM »
LaRoche's bat will be the tie breaker.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #33: February 18, 2014, 04:32:01 PM »

Or Danny's :stir:

Offline NJ Ave

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #35: February 18, 2014, 04:38:59 PM »
He won a Gold Glove. What is your agenda anyway?

Doesn't make him a contender for the future.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #36: February 18, 2014, 04:46:51 PM »

i really do think the battle is between Danny and LaRoche.  Quite simply:

LaRoche/Rendon/Zimm at 3rd vs Danny/Rendon/Zimm at 1B on both offense/defense (with Moore getting some consideration as well.).

Offline Ray D

« Reply #37: February 18, 2014, 04:56:44 PM »
LaRoche/Rendon/Zimm at 3rd vs Danny/Rendon/Zimm at 1B on both offense/defense (with Moore getting some consideration as well.).

LaRoche/Rendon/Zimm at 3rd against righthanders vs Danny/Rendon/Zimm at 1B against lefthanders on both offense/defense (with Moore getting some consideration as well traded ).

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #38: February 18, 2014, 05:10:12 PM »
i really do think the battle is between Danny and LaRoche.  Quite simply:

If LaRoche hits like 2012, then Espinosa becomes the utility guy unless Rendon goes flat and, somehow, Espinosa learns to hit. Williams seems ready to let Espinosa try, but Espinosa has been pretty consistently a .230 - .245 hitter with 15 - 20 homers and 180 strikeouts. He hit well during his first week with the Nats, and then pitchers seemed to learn his weakness.

LaRoche? He's a puzzle. We can't predict how he'll hit.

Moore? Let's hope, but he's a young puzzle.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #39: February 18, 2014, 05:18:43 PM »
Pirates looking for a LH 1st Baseman according to MLB Trade Rumors.

LaRoche?

Offline nobleisthyname

As god awful as he was in the field his bat is still pretty good for third base. He was the sixth best offensive third baseman in all of baseball last season, behind Cabrera, Longoria, Beltre, Wright, and Donaldson. Cabrera is moving to first and Donaldson had a career year.

Zimmerman has been fairly consistent with his bat at least so it's easy to argue that he's top five there. If there's some regression on the fielding it's not hard seeing him put up another 4+ WAR season.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Career throwing errors is 104 for Furcal and 93 for Zimmm; closest active player is Wright at 83. (Tracked since 2002.) At his average of 12 per year, barring a move to 1st, Ryan should take the lead in September. I'll get the counter running once the season starts.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=0&type=0&season=2013&month=0&season1=1997&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=11,d

Offline MorseTheHorse

I hope everyone who posted in this thread sends RZ a handwritten apology by the all-start break.  Have faith nages!

Offline spidernat

freak apologies I just hope he plays well.

Online Slateman

I just hope he plays average defense.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I hope everyone who posted in this thread sends RZ a handwritten apology by the all-start break.  Have faith nages!

How many millions is he getting paid per year? In lieu of an apology I'll just keep buying tickets. Fifth worst fielder in the league and acting like it's a favor that he'd consider playing 1st for a few games.

Offline Mr Clean

How many millions is he getting paid per year? In lieu of an apology I'll just keep buying tickets. Fifth worst fielder in the league and acting like it's a favor that he'd consider playing 1st for a few games.
When did he act like it was a favor to play 1st? 

Online Slateman

Since he inststed on staying at third despite the fact that Laroche couldn't OPS over.700

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter

“If that’s best for the team, I’m willing to play over there,” Zimmerman said in a phone conversation. “I don’t want to play 60 games over there."

“I think it’s more something like, ‘Have you ever played over there? Would you be willing to play there just in case?’ You know me. If I can help our team by playing over there, I’ll do it.”

Offline aspenbubba

Am I missing something here? Does anyone recall when Zimm booted a ball or made a errant throw that DIRECTLY led to a loss? I admit his throwing has led to much distress while watching games but whatever stat you ascribe to does not take into account direct losses. Does an error early in a game that does not account for an un-earned run hurt as much as one later in a game that is the winning margin?

We certainly remember his walk-offs.