Author Topic: Nook Logan to DL: Kory Casto Gets His Phone Call  (Read 819 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
From CBS Sportsline:

The Nationals put center fielder Nook Logan on the 15-day DL on Tuesday with a left foot injury and recalled Kory Casto from Triple-A Columbus. Logan is expected to miss two to three weeks with a strained left foot. Casto was the last position player cut at the end of spring training. His primary position is as an outfielder, although the Nationals have said they consider him available to play at first base or third base as a backup.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
that sucks big time for logan,

but casto sounds like he will do just fine!

Offline Dave B

Opportunity knocking for Ryan Church, who did work a nice walk yesterday. And I'm not being sarcastic.  I assume Dontrelle was making good pitches and Church fouled some off.  Possibly more indicative than hitting a HR, which can be done with one god swing

Offline UMDNats

Too bad about Nook, we'll lose some D and speed, but we can see what we got in Casto. A blessing in disguise?

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Yeah its a blessing in disguise. Lets be realistic with our team. We're not competing for a wildcard spot this. ANd while the goal is still to win as many games as possibe, we need to see what we got before we play at te new stadium.

nospinzone1

From CBS Sportsline:

The Nationals put center fielder Nook Logan on the 15-day DL on Tuesday with a left foot injury and recalled Kory Casto from Triple-A Columbus. Logan is expected to miss two to three weeks with a strained left foot. Casto was the last position player cut at the end of spring training. His primary position is as an outfielder, although the Nationals have said they consider him available to play at first base or third base as a backup.

The baseball Gods are with Kasto. He is destined to stay and have a great season. I am rooting for him.

Offline nats2playoffs

Opportunity knocking for Ryan Church, who did work a nice walk yesterday. And I'm not being sarcastic.  I assume Dontrelle was making good pitches and Church fouled some off.  Possibly more indicative than hitting a HR, which can be done with one good swing

Church got 2 walks yesterday.  Because he struck out so many times swinging at horrible pitches in 2006, my guess is that each pitcher he faces is going to throw him junk, to see if he'll continue to swing at it.  If he maintains discipline at the plate (in the manner of Nick Johnson), Church should get walked a LOT in 2007.  I'd rather see him strike out looking, because those pitches bouncing in front of the plate are going to send him walking to 1st base in 2007.  If it happens often enough, they may want to move him up in the lineup.  In the second half, his RBI's and HR's could increase, as he gets better pitches, to AVOID walking him.

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
yeah, i agree. but guzman batting second??? whats up with that, he should be batting lower in the order...

he just sucks, and well... now that he is on the possiable dl....

Offline nats2playoffs

yeah, i agree. but guzman batting second??? whats up with that, he should be batting lower in the order...he just sucks, and well... now that he is on the possiable dl....
Guzman had the highest batting average on the team in Spring Training.  2nd highest On-base-Percentage (OBP), slightly behind Zimmerman.  He had laser eye surgery and was recovering from torn rotator cuff surgery on his shoulder.  New year, new manager - he earned that slot.  Too bad about the hamstring.  Guzman got an Honorable Mention as a potential Fantasy Baseball sleeper star.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Bowden said on 980 that Casto will bat 2nd tonight. Please let it be!

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Church got 2 walks yesterday. 

Regarding Church's walks, his first at bat yesterday when he walked was a stellar plate appearance. It really was an important at bat at the time because Willis was being so efficient with pitches.

Church with more discipline should have a great OBP and eventually get good pitches to hit. With regular at bats in April, I am really expecting him to have a high OBP for the month and bat anywhere from .275-.300. Why? Because he has been batting well, and has had numbers in the past. Regarding his spring, it was a small sample size. But there were good indications there:

He did indeed struggled early. But it was stated clearly that he spent the first couple of weeks with a different stance to allow him to lay back on breaking balls. He said that impacted his performance. So after the initial period he moved back to his more comfortable stance. Through his first 41 ABs he had 7 hits (.170 BA). At that time I remember saying that Snelling had all of two more hits. Only one more hit a week for Church would have made a big difference. Church finished the Spring with 14 hits on 65 ABs. So clearly, the last couple of weeks of Spring training was an upward trend.

It's still a small sample. The real test is now. Church should be able to - and will need to produce - with regular at bats. And as long as he gets them, I would expect to see decent numbers over an entire month of playing every day. Whether that comes in the form of high OBP, average, or run production, or some combination remains to be seen. But we should expect to see production.

Online The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
yeah, i agree. but guzman batting second??? whats up with that, he should be batting lower in the order...

he just sucks, and well... now that he is on the possiable dl....

He only sucks if he spends another season on the DL.  3 bust seasons would make him the worst lemon in the Nats short history in DC.  I will gladly bash him then, but **IF** he can stay healthy I'm willing to give him a chance to prove himself one way or the other.