Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer  (Read 74351 times)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #900: September 22, 2017, 12:42:53 PM »
HS - you have a good point, for the large food types such as ADM fought the natural label for food.  But even InBev doesn't have that power, for beer production is much more localized than food production.  So the customers are located closer to the location of much of their beer consumption.

So they get certified independent craft, how long until inbev breweries are certified independent micro or something else that confuses people who don't know the difference (i.e. everyone). If you think I'm just being cynical, look at all they food labeled natural

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #901: September 22, 2017, 12:46:30 PM »
This is a private label, any group can create their own meaningless label; Constellation didn't pay a billion dollars for ballast point to have it tagged as a macro brew. Just like natural which has no actual meaning

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #902: September 22, 2017, 01:43:57 PM »
This is a private label, any group can create their own meaningless label; Constellation didn't pay a billion dollars for ballast point to have it tagged as a macro brew. Just like natural which has no actual meaning

But they're going to have a distinct logo, and most craft beer consumers will "get it" immediately, and be able to identify the wannabes.

I think this will get some traction.

https://www.brewersassociation.org/statistics/craft-brewer-defined/

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #903: September 22, 2017, 01:56:49 PM »
But they're going to have a distinct logo, and most craft beer consumers will "get it" immediately, and be able to identify the wannabes.

I think this will get some traction.

https://www.brewersassociation.org/statistics/craft-brewer-defined/

I doubt it, look at eggs or meat next time you go to the store and try to figure out which certifications mean something. Maybe with a marketing budget, but will craft breweries really find that? If I'm inbev, goose island will be certified craft beer with a nice independent looking label from the independent craft brewers association as soon as this gets started

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #904: September 22, 2017, 01:59:04 PM »
I doubt it, look at eggs or meat next time you go to the store and try to figure out which certifications mean something. Maybe with a marketing budget, but will craft breweries really find that? If I'm inbev, goose island will be certified craft beer with a nice independent looking label from the independent craft brewers association as soon as this gets started

I'm sure they'll try.  But will they get anybody else on board besides themselves? 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #905: September 22, 2017, 02:41:05 PM »
I'm sure they'll try.  But will they get anybody else on board besides themselves? 

Do they need to? I'm guessing their portfolio of 'craft' breweries occupy more shelf space than legitimate crafts. People who know the difference already know, and consumers are easily confused

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #907: October 31, 2017, 03:37:29 PM »
Data shows Americans are done drinking Burweiser

https://vinepair.com/booze-news/abinbev-sales-decreasing/

First they came for Schaeffer, and I did nothing
Then they came for Schlitz..

Now Budweiser?  Is Miller High Life next?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #908: October 31, 2017, 03:44:34 PM »

https://vinepair.com/booze-news/abinbev-sales-decreasing/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=pagepost

I’m guessing goose island, ballast point, and blue moon start getting more marketing dollars and more cost saving ingredients

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #909: October 31, 2017, 08:53:19 PM »
Before the cheetoh putsch, that stuff was selling pretty well overseas though.  Probably still some good local niche markets in the odd 'Stan and maybe Hungary.   

https://vinepair.com/booze-news/abinbev-sales-decreasing/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=pagepost

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #910: November 23, 2017, 10:44:45 AM »
We host T-giving, here's my list for today.

Oskar Blues - Dale's Pale Ale  6.5%
Port City Tidings Belgian Ale  7.8%
Anchor Merry Christmas & Happy New Year Ale   6.7%
Dogfish Head Liquid Truth Serum IPA  6.8%
Founders Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale   8.5%
Founders Backwoods Bastard Ale  11.2%  (Scotch, wee heavy style)
Dechutes Black Butte Porter   5.2%
Port City Robust Porter   7.2%
Founders Breakfast Stout   8.3%
Dogfish Head Siracusa Nera Russian Imperial Stout  11.2%

I think I'm going to open up a bottle (or can, as the case may be) of each and let folks sample. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #911: November 23, 2017, 10:46:24 AM »
Southern tier choklat for me today

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #912: November 23, 2017, 11:04:46 AM »
Southern tier choklat for me today

Looks like something I could warm up to.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #913: November 23, 2017, 11:05:30 AM »
We're headed to my parents' house in Fairfax this afternoon. My father likes Heineken but will probably be drinking liquor today. I don't want to drink liquor, or at least no more than a minimal amount, so I went to Port City yesterday for a growler fill and got Long Black Veil, a black IPA, for my brother and me to share. In some ways it's more like a porter than a typical IPA.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #914: November 27, 2017, 10:19:43 AM »
Sign of the apocalypse? On my current London tour I popped into a long-time favourite pub (the Museum Tavern opposite the British Museum) - and they now offer table service (unheard-of tilll recently) alongside the traditional pub-ordering-at-the-bar procedure.

At least the ales and lagers themselves remain as good as ever.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #915: November 27, 2017, 10:50:05 AM »
Sign of the apocalypse? On my current London tour I popped into a long-time favourite pub (the Museum Tavern opposite the British Museum) - and they now offer table service (unheard-of tilll recently) alongside the traditional pub-ordering-at-the-bar procedure.

At least the ales and lagers themselves remain as good as ever.
You didn't order ahead on their app? 😏

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #917: January 06, 2018, 12:29:42 PM »
This is a long shot but if any of you boozers don’t have anything to do today, I’ve got two  tickets to the Bier Baron Cask Festival https://www.eventbrite.com/e/barons-1st-annual-cask-festival-tickets-36755324164 free to a good home.

Bier Baron is in the old Brickskeller space. They have about 25 craft casks and you get a 5-oz pour of each.

I hate wasting tickets so if anyone can use them, send me a PM. Event runs from 2-7 and these are the VIP package which include assigned table space so if you get down there late, you don’t have to worry about getting a space to chill.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #918: January 21, 2018, 03:45:36 PM »
Stopped by Beltway Brewery in E. Loudoun after our ANC trip.    Not a bad selection but a basic tasting room with a couple of TVs.   Snacks are available but no grill.

http://www.beltwaybrewco.com/

Bought a small growler of my favorite   ....   real dark Icing On the Cake.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #919: January 21, 2018, 03:48:29 PM »
Stopped by Beltway Brewery in E. Loudoun after our ANC trip.    Not a bad selection but a basic tasting room with a couple of TVs.   Snacks are available but no grill.

http://www.beltwaybrewco.com/

Bought a small growler of my favorite   ....   real dark Icing On the Cake.
I always liked icing.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #920: January 21, 2018, 03:51:59 PM »
I always liked icing.

This stuff is rich and dark  ....   like German chocolate cake icing.    :)    Did I mention 10%?

BTW   It's a little better on the "warm" side.    Cold, it really has a bitterish taste to it.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #922: January 23, 2018, 01:09:52 PM »
meh, it's not like it's being replaced by Heady Topper

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #923: January 23, 2018, 01:33:50 PM »
No, it's been unseated by three light beers. This says a lot about America.

meh, it's not like it's being replaced by Heady Topper

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #924: January 23, 2018, 01:39:58 PM »
No, it's been unseated by three light beers. This says a lot about America.

Global warming. I love me a good schwarzbier or a pale ale, but when it's super hot outside, the body wants a beer that is almost water.