Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer  (Read 74280 times)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #125: March 06, 2014, 03:38:55 PM »
Sam Adams is as good as Sierra Nevada or Anchor Steam.  It just depends on one's particular tastes

Sierra Nevada predates sam and manages to be mass market and still taste good (something that seems beyond sam)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #126: March 06, 2014, 03:41:16 PM »
yep, there was an era of crappy beer, crappy coffee, crappy food, crappy cars... maybe it was preferable to quality small batch quality everything

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #127: March 06, 2014, 03:44:43 PM »
Eh, I have not had it in a while, but basic Sam is fine in the same way Bass is fine.  They have gotten too cute with the niche beers, but I usually enjoy the winter ale and the latest one on tap, the Rebel IPA, is a pretty hoppy but light. Again, the beer write up is accurate - west coast style with a grapefruit like flavor.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #128: March 06, 2014, 04:35:48 PM »
I've drank way too much craft beer and I can honestly say that Heady Topper is the best.  It's not a hipster douchey thing about exclusivity, it's just a damn good beer.  It's hoppy in all the right places and has the perfect blend of tastes that just strikes the palette and doesn't stop.  The thing is, this is TO MY TASTES.  If you don't like it, fine, but to me it's, no pun intended, the tops.

For those who are "financially conscious", I threw that out a long time ago as well.  Again, I'm not hipster about it.  I just like beer, and I am willing to go far out of my way for a good brew.  Some people do the same thing with musical instruments, photography, cars*** and so on and so forth.  My hobby is beer.

*** My other hobbies include Music, Photography and Cars.  I'm a poor bastard, lol.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #129: March 06, 2014, 04:40:42 PM »
Well, I'll just have to go to Vermont to find this holy grail...

I am going to be in Colorado in a couple of weeks, and the beer scene there does not suck.   

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #130: March 06, 2014, 04:52:15 PM »

I am going to be in Colorado in a couple of weeks, and the beer scene there does not suck.   

The other brewery listed in the post article, Hill Farmstead Brewery- the one with a 100 beer advocate rating is worth visiting. My mom lives near there, lots of good food and beer, and great hiking. I love beer, I probably spend way too much on it, and I'm certain I would never call a beer the best, but I'm pretty seasonal in my tastes- stouts and strong IPAs in winter, fruity beers in summer and everything else in between. I'm fairly certain that I'd find the Bell's Kalamazoo Stout in my fridge now revolting on a 100 degree day in early August

• babble on
« Reply #131: March 06, 2014, 05:04:09 PM »
This thread is giving me a terrible thirst, and the sun is now past the yardarm...

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #132: March 06, 2014, 05:40:47 PM »

Colorado has a great beer scene.  Oskar Blues Ten-Fidy on tap is delicious if you love stouts.
The other brewery listed in the post article, Hill Farmstead Brewery- the one with a 100 beer advocate rating is worth visiting. My mom lives near there, lots of good food and beer, and great hiking. I love beer, I probably spend way too much on it, and I'm certain I would never call a beer the best, but I'm pretty seasonal in my tastes- stouts and strong IPAs in winter, fruity beers in summer and everything else in between. I'm fairly certain that I'd find the Bell's Kalamazoo Stout in my fridge now revolting on a 100 degree day in early August

I didn't think I would ever call one "the best" but Heady changed my mind.  That being said, there are a lot of second place champions out there!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #133: March 06, 2014, 08:36:21 PM »
Eh, I have not had it in a while, but basic Sam is fine in the same way Bass is fine.  They have gotten too cute with the niche beers, but I usually enjoy the winter ale and the latest one on tap, the Rebel IPA, is a pretty hoppy but light. Again, the beer write up is accurate - west coast style with a grapefruit like flavor.

Sam Scotch Ale is one of the greatest beers ever, but good luck finding it.   :?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #134: March 07, 2014, 09:26:05 AM »
I always loved Killian's Irish Red. I know it's not special but damn it was one of my favorites. That said, post surgery, beer and I don't get along very well, although I haven't tried draft beer. Whiskey on the other hand??

Delicious.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #135: March 07, 2014, 10:14:03 AM »
What sort of reaction does beer provide ?  I would be surprised if draft beer is different for you

I always loved Killian's Irish Red. I know it's not special but damn it was one of my favorites. That said, post surgery, beer and I don't get along very well, although I haven't tried draft beer. Whiskey on the other hand??

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #136: March 07, 2014, 10:15:57 AM »
What sort of reaction does beer provide ?  I would be surprised if draft beer is different for you

I think it's the carbonation from the bottle/can. It just bloats me so fast that I can't drink it before it gets warm. I suspect that draft beer would lose it's carvonation a little quicker while allowing me to drink it before it starts getting warm. So far, I just drink Jack and Diet Coke. I just nurse it.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #137: March 07, 2014, 01:26:08 PM »
I think it's the carbonation from the bottle/can. It just bloats me so fast that I can't drink it before it gets warm. I suspect that draft beer would lose it's carvonation a little quicker while allowing me to drink it before it starts getting warm. So far, I just drink Jack and Diet Coke. I just nurse it.

You should try something that uses nitrogen like Guinness instead of co2. I find them less bloaty. Also, some of the higher alcohol stouts, and probably other beers, are less bubbly and are still good as they get warm

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #138: March 07, 2014, 01:35:47 PM »

You should try something that uses nitrogen like Guinness instead of co2. I find them less bloaty. Also, some of the higher alcohol stouts, and probably other beers, are less bubbly and are still good as they get warm

Perhaps... I'm not sure how much it would matter though as, post surgery, any amount of carbonation really makes me gassy too. It's weird I know, but it's true.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #139: March 07, 2014, 01:55:16 PM »
The other thing is, if you drink a bottle, use a glass and pour it down the center of the glass to explode the carbonation.  A lot of people try too hard to avoid a head when really most beers are meant to be poured and have a head.  Not Guinness, of course, but Pilseners for sure.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #140: March 07, 2014, 03:06:37 PM »

It's probably the carbs/sugars.  They can put a stomach into overdrive.  I think beer has a certain type of sugar that makes it especially heavy.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #141: March 08, 2014, 04:06:56 PM »
Young's??  Noice

It's that a typo. If not it sounds awesome and I want to start saying it. Like an 80s surfer bro

Offline Dave B

« Reply #142: March 12, 2014, 10:45:52 PM »
After I nag about craft beer doing stupid crap, I try out a ballast point habanero ipa. Interesting and good. Just hot enough to tingle

• babble on
« Reply #143: March 12, 2014, 10:56:54 PM »
And the perfect beer for sex on a cold morning on a plane.  Got to have options this time of year. 

Offline Dave B

« Reply #144: March 12, 2014, 11:57:24 PM »
I might be drunk but I am really digging these beers with Thai chiles and spices

• babble on
« Reply #145: March 13, 2014, 12:30:09 AM »
Everything is better with Thai chiles

Offline Dave B

« Reply #146: March 13, 2014, 02:57:32 AM »
I don't think I can drink beer without some kind of peppers in them now

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #147: March 13, 2014, 12:15:50 PM »
Idaho hockey fans sue over beer prices. If this is true, this was a serious rip-off by the arena.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10600154/idaho-hockey-fans-suing-arena-beer-prices

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #148: March 13, 2014, 12:27:32 PM »
Idaho hockey fans sue over beer prices. If this is true, this was a serious rip-off by the arena.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10600154/idaho-hockey-fans-suing-arena-beer-prices

deadspin's been reporting on this- it looks like they ordered the wrong size cups (the 'tall' ones were supposed to be large, but were the same size)- the arena has already apologized

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #149: March 13, 2014, 12:48:06 PM »
deadspin's been reporting on this- it looks like they ordered the wrong size cups (the 'tall' ones were supposed to be large, but were the same size)- the arena has already apologized

Sure seems like they owe something more than a mere apology. The problem, of course, for a plaintiff in that situation is proving damages. Only the most utterly meticulous tightwad would maintain receipts from beer purchases at hockey games, and depending on the cash register system the receipts may not be detailed enough to show what was actually purchased. Without that sort of data, proving the amount of money you lost is more or less impossible unless you can produce very convincing witnesses who could testify, for example, "I always attend the game with my husband and he always buys six of the largest size beer possible, two prior to the game, two at the first intermission, and two at the second intermission; he limits himself to six because they will only sell you two per transaction." You'd then have to prove, of course, how many games you'd attended; the ease of that may depend on individual circumstances and the ticketing system. (A digital ticketing system like the Capitals use isn't foolproof for this because it doesn't know whether YOU used the ticket assigned to your account. If you sell it on StubHub, the system still registers that your ticket was used.)