Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer  (Read 73602 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #50: February 12, 2014, 10:21:30 AM »
Would something like Port City's porter work?  Bottled I don't think could be used to set up a black and tan, but taste-wise, maybe just mix it with a draft IPA.

Offline blue911

« Reply #51: February 12, 2014, 01:20:37 PM »
I think Matguy was Sir Mix-a-Lot in a previous life

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #52: February 12, 2014, 01:46:42 PM »
This stoudt/IPA mix is still more of a dark beer than IPA - but the IPA adds much flavor.

Port City Porter would be very good mixed with an IPA.  I like the Chocolate Stoudts a little better

That sounds quite good...can't say it over occurred to me to mix either of those with anything (in the same glass at least). 

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #53: February 12, 2014, 01:47:37 PM »
The Dogfish Alehouse turned me on to this black & tan mix

I think Matguy was Sir Mix-a-Lot in a previous life

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #54: February 12, 2014, 01:55:02 PM »
Guiness is the Budweiser of dark beer
So damn true. I tried Left Hand Milk Stout and haven't had a Guinness since.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55: February 12, 2014, 03:45:13 PM »
Guinness is really a smooth beer once you get over the psyche out effect of the color.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #56: February 12, 2014, 04:54:13 PM »
But compared to so many other dark beers, Guinness has little flavor

Guinness is really a smooth beer once you get over the psyche out effect of the color.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57: February 12, 2014, 05:21:47 PM »
I said smooth, not strongly flavored.  I think it may also have to do with the nitrogen.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #58: February 12, 2014, 05:34:30 PM »
I said smooth, not strongly flavored.  I think it may also have to do with the nitrogen.

boddingtons has the same can setup and is smooth (if not tasty). 

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #59: February 13, 2014, 10:47:47 PM »
boddingtons has the same can setup and is smooth (if not tasty). 

Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro, people. It's so easy.

(512 Cascabel Cream Stout is still tops, but I KNOW y'all can't get that up there.)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #60: February 13, 2014, 10:53:52 PM »
I've never even found Left Hand up here.

Plenty of Lancaster and Southern Tier, though.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #61: February 13, 2014, 11:17:09 PM »
Plenty of Lancaster and Southern Tier, though.

We just started getting Southern Tier. I need to try the 2X Milk Stout and see how it stacks up. I tried the pumpkin one (whichever one is not Warlock) and it tasted like candy corn.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #62: February 13, 2014, 11:29:35 PM »
I would crawl to the nearest store that sold Southern Tier Chocolate Stoudt or Pumpkin Ale.  I saved my marriage by finding a case of Southern Tier Pumpkin Ale for 2IPAs online and giving it to her for Christmas.

We just started getting Southern Tier. I need to try the 2X Milk Stout and see how it stacks up. I tried the pumpkin one (whichever one is not Warlock) and it tasted like candy corn.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #63: February 14, 2014, 12:05:37 AM »
Now that is love baby, L-U-V, LOVE
I would crawl to the nearest store that sold Southern Tier Chocolate Stoudt or Pumpkin Ale.  I saved my marriage by finding a case of Southern Tier Pumpkin Ale for 2IPAs online and giving it to her for Christmas.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #65: February 15, 2014, 07:24:44 PM »
Anybody out in California want to ship me some Pliny?

On a more serious note, if anyone has had Heady Topper, my number 1, give Lagunitas Sucks a shot if you can find it.  I'd say it's 85% of the Topper.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #66: February 19, 2014, 07:57:38 AM »
New Seafood Restaurant Coming Next Week to Rossyln
Heavy Seas Alehouse will open next Thursday.
http://arlington-va.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/new-seafood-restaurant-coming-next-week-to-rossyln

Heavy Seas Alehouse sets sail from Baltimore to drop a second anchor in Rosslyn next week.

The new restaurant, located at 1501 Wilson Blvd., Suite 105, will open to the public Thursday, Feb. 27. (It looks like they are still hiring — check details on their craigslist ad here.) The new restaurant will offer Baltimore’s finest craft beer coupled with outstanding seasonal cuisine from Executive Chef Matt Seeber.

For Heavy Seas’ menu, Chef Seeber highlights fresh seafood sourced locally whenever possible. Starters include local oysters, soft pretzels with crab, grilled sausage sliders and Tasso ham hushpuppies.

Diners will also be able to choose from small plates like chicory salad with a soft poached egg or Prince Edward Island mussels in a broth of Heavy Seas Gold Ale seasoned with fennel, roasted garlic butter, tomato and, in true Baltimore fashion, Old Bay.

Larger dishes have their place here as well with options like savory braised rabbit fettuccine and pan roasted sea scallops. Seeber’s bill of fare pushes expectations of Alehouse food overboard.

Beer aficionados won’t be disappointed with the array of beers able to be paired with any dish. Heavy Seas offers a selection of six year-round drafts on tap including their flagship brew, Loose Cannon, a triple-hopped IPA with notes of grapefruit, herbs and pine, as well as the Small Craft Pilsner, Peg Leg Imperial Stout, Gold Ale, Powder Monkey Pale Ale and Cutlass Amber Lager.

The bar will have rotating seasonal drafts like the Winter Storm and Riptide White IPA. As advocates for the microbrewing industry, the Alehouse is proud to feature a selection of craft beers local to the DMV alongside Heavy Seas taps. Now food and beer enthusiasts alike can plunder the stores of Baltimore's best craft brewery just outside of DC.

The restaurant will offer lunch and dinner Monday through Sunday; the restaurant will open each day at 11 a.m. For more information, visit Heavy Seas Alehouse online at www.heavyseasalehouse.com, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #67: February 19, 2014, 09:46:19 PM »
The Heavy Seas in Rosslyn is about 3 blocks from my current job.

Woot! Woot!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #68: February 19, 2014, 09:47:53 PM »

Woot! Woot!

$$$

• babble on
« Reply #69: February 19, 2014, 09:49:42 PM »
Is Pho 75 still there?  I used to eat lunch there pretty much every day when I worked in the 'Roz

Woot! Woot!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #70: February 19, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
Is Pho 75 still there?  I used to eat lunch there pretty much every day when I worked in the 'Roz

No, none of that yuppie-ass pho crap. 

Beer.  We're talking beer here.   :cheers:

• babble on
« Reply #71: February 20, 2014, 12:49:02 AM »
Is there even beer in Rosslyn?  It looked all pinot grigio last time I had the misfortune of passing through there. 

No, none of that yuppie-ass pho crap. 

Beer.  We're talking beer here.   :cheers:

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #72: February 20, 2014, 10:15:56 AM »
That sounds great - which side street on Wilson Blvd ?

New Seafood Restaurant Coming Next Week to Rossyln
Heavy Seas Alehouse will open next Thursday.
http://arlington-va.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/new-seafood-restaurant-coming-next-week-to-rossyln

Heavy Seas Alehouse sets sail from Baltimore to drop a second anchor in Rosslyn next week.

The new restaurant, located at 1501 Wilson Blvd., Suite 105, will open to the public Thursday, Feb. 27. (It looks like they are still hiring — check details on their craigslist ad here.) The new restaurant will offer Baltimore’s finest craft beer coupled with outstanding seasonal cuisine from Executive Chef Matt Seeber.

For Heavy Seas’ menu, Chef Seeber highlights fresh seafood sourced locally whenever possible. Starters include local oysters, soft pretzels with crab, grilled sausage sliders and Tasso ham hushpuppies.

Diners will also be able to choose from small plates like chicory salad with a soft poached egg or Prince Edward Island mussels in a broth of Heavy Seas Gold Ale seasoned with fennel, roasted garlic butter, tomato and, in true Baltimore fashion, Old Bay.

Larger dishes have their place here as well with options like savory braised rabbit fettuccine and pan roasted sea scallops. Seeber’s bill of fare pushes expectations of Alehouse food overboard.

Beer aficionados won’t be disappointed with the array of beers able to be paired with any dish. Heavy Seas offers a selection of six year-round drafts on tap including their flagship brew, Loose Cannon, a triple-hopped IPA with notes of grapefruit, herbs and pine, as well as the Small Craft Pilsner, Peg Leg Imperial Stout, Gold Ale, Powder Monkey Pale Ale and Cutlass Amber Lager.

The bar will have rotating seasonal drafts like the Winter Storm and Riptide White IPA. As advocates for the microbrewing industry, the Alehouse is proud to feature a selection of craft beers local to the DMV alongside Heavy Seas taps. Now food and beer enthusiasts alike can plunder the stores of Baltimore's best craft brewery just outside of DC.

The restaurant will offer lunch and dinner Monday through Sunday; the restaurant will open each day at 11 a.m. For more information, visit Heavy Seas Alehouse online at www.heavyseasalehouse.com, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73: February 20, 2014, 10:25:18 AM »
Isn't 1500 the building across Lynn from the building Red hot and blue is in?  Opposite the firehouse on Wilson?

My office used to have temporary quarters over there for about 1/3 of our staff.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #74: February 20, 2014, 10:25:45 AM »
That sounds great - which side street on Wilson Blvd ?

I'm not sure, I work up the street but rarely make it past RH&B when heading that direction. Could be a good spot to meet up for opening day.