Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer  (Read 74176 times)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #800: February 23, 2017, 09:56:13 PM »
Garrett Oliver of Brooklyn Brewery wrote a great book on beer history & beer types

https://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Companion-Beer-Hardcover/dp/0195367138

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #801: March 15, 2017, 03:27:47 PM »
Great news, Amazon is launching free beer delivery.  Now if I could train my cat to go to the front door to deliver the package the last 40 feet.

Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) is ready to do to the local liquor store what it did to the local book store. They are rolling out free beer and wine 2-hour delivery and $7.99 1-hour delivery for Prime Now members, starting in Cincinnati and Columbus, Ohio. It is reasonable to expect this experiment to be wildly successful and for the company to roll it out more broadly in the near future.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/4055513-amazon-launches-free-beer-delivery

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #802: March 15, 2017, 03:31:09 PM »
So now in addition to the 2 liquor stores, 2 supermarkets, and 4 bodegas that currently sell beer and wine within 3 blocks of my house, I can have Amazon deliver??  Wicked. 

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #803: March 15, 2017, 08:14:33 PM »
Can we come visit ?

So now in addition to the 2 liquor stores, 2 supermarkets, and 4 bodegas that currently sell beer and wine within 3 blocks of my house, I can have Amazon deliver??  Wicked. 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #804: March 15, 2017, 08:18:42 PM »
Can we come visit ?

If you bring beer...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #805: March 15, 2017, 08:20:07 PM »
If you bring beer...

Good one  ...  :spit:

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #806: March 15, 2017, 11:41:35 PM »
Great news, Amazon is launching free beer delivery.  Now if I could train my cat to go to the front door to deliver the package the last 40 feet.

Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) is ready to do to the local liquor store what it did to the local book store. They are rolling out free beer and wine 2-hour delivery and $7.99 1-hour delivery for Prime Now members, starting in Cincinnati and Columbus, Ohio. It is reasonable to expect this experiment to be wildly successful and for the company to roll it out more broadly in the near future.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/4055513-amazon-launches-free-beer-delivery

Only if they drone drop in some whalez. I can go pick up a dirty 30 myself if it gets that bad -- if not, order an 'Uber' for much else. Sad!

• babble on
« Reply #807: March 16, 2017, 12:28:05 AM »
Just need to figure out the Kegilator/CPAP mask hoses.   
Can we come visit ?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #808: March 21, 2017, 11:48:07 AM »
Below is my attempt to reconstruct every beer I had on my vacation last week. Sadly, the alcohol killed a few memory cells.

Day 1 - Brussels
Kriek Boon (@ The Monk)
St Bernardus Abt 12 (@ The Monk)
Rochefort 10 (@ 9 et Voisins)
??? (@ Cafe Bizon)

Day 2 - Amsterdam
De Koninck (@ Three Sisters Pub)
Affligem Dubbel (@ Three Sisters Pub)

Day 3 - Amsterdam
??? (@ In de Wildeman - truly one of the best bars I've been to)
Brasserie D’Achouffe N’Ice Chouffe (@ In de Wildeman) (this was a freaking awesome Christmas beer, one of the best I've ever had)

Day 4 - Amsterdam
Jopen - Blonde (@ brewery)
Jopen - Koyt (@ brewery) (1400s recipe spiced brown, super delicious)
IJ - Dubbel (@ brewery)
IJ - Dubbel (@ brewery) (it was that good. Sampled the rest of their stuff via gf's orders...all good, but the dubbel is godly)
Duvel

Day 5 - Leiden, Delft
Affligem Dubbel (@ lunch cafe in Leiden)
Brugse Zot Blonde (@ Locus Publicus, Delft)
Gulpener Korenwolf Wit (@ Locus Publicus)
Kasteel Rouge (@ De Beierd, Delft)

Day 6 - Antwerp
something on tap??? (Chimay Grand Reserve? Buffalo Grand Cru?) (@ Kulminator)
Rodenbach Grand Reserve 2014 (@ Kulminator) (on tap!!!!!!)
Affligem Tripel (@ De Arme Duivel)
Orval 2011 (@ Kulminator) (girlfriend: "This tastes exactly like scotch. All the flavors are scotch. It's like scotch but beer.")
Stille Nacht 2006 (@ Kulminator)

Kulminator is the best beer bar on earth. If I try do describe it to you, you won't believe me. In the running for best bar in history??

Day 7 - Bruges
Brugse Zot Dubbel (@ brewery)

Day 8 - Bruges
Herberg Vlissinghe House Beer (@ Herberg Vlissinghe) (thick, cloudy, lightly fruity golden ale; for Texans, imagine Blood & Honey if it were freaking amazing)
Herberg Vlissinghe House Beer (@ Herberg Vlissinghe)
Straffe Hendrik Tripel (@ Terrastje) (reputedly one of only 2 places this outstanding triple is on tap)
Straffe Hendrik Tripel (@ Terrastje)
Westvleteren 12 (!!!) (@ Cafe Rose Red)
Stift Engelszell Benno (@ Cafe Rose Red)

Pretty obviously the best beer drinking day of my life. We skipped dinner.

Day 9 - Brussels
Grimbergen Dubbel (@ Le Cirio)
Bourgogne des Flandres (@ L'imaige Nostre Dame)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #809: March 21, 2017, 11:56:15 AM »
Below is my attempt to reconstruct every beer I had on my vacation last week. Sadly, the alcohol killed a few memory cells.

Et al.

"A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one."

Outstanding  :clap:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #810: March 21, 2017, 12:04:08 PM »
Kulminator is the best beer bar on earth. If I try do describe it to you, you won't believe me. In the running for best bar in history??
So imagine a tiny old house that belongs to two senior citizens. She's about 75, he's clearly at least 80 and has a bum left knee. She looks like a champion cookie baker; he looks like a Disney cartoon version of a Swiss cuckoo clock maker. There is an actual working cuckoo clock on the wall. There are about 4 tables inside, one of which he sits at, working on some inexplicable philosophical work that requires a table's worth of library books, printouts, journals, and tracts. There are 3 tables on an outdoor smoking patio. The patio has a big log across the top with a sign that says "Cat Crossing." At one point while you're drinking, the cat does indeed cross it.

The place is floor to ceiling covered in beer paraphernalia. There are crates of old Westvleteren bottles stacked up 8+ feet tall in the entryway and in random places along the walls. There are beer ads from the 1950s and seemingly earlier. 1800s newspaper cartoons of people drinking. A window into another private room, in which you can see more beer than you've possibly ever seen before except at a brewery. It's the beginning of the cellar, which takes up about half the floor plan.

Classical music plays the whole time. Nothing from after 1830. All baroque, chamber music, and Schubert.

The patrons speak in respectfully low voices, as if they are in some kind of church or, you know, a crazy old person's house.

There are 12 beers on tap. One of them is a barrel-aged reserve gueuze from 2014. Several are Trappists. If you order Chimay Grand Reserve on tap, it comes with a free bowl of Chimay cheese.

The old man does seemingly nothing, but the old lady is really, REALLY good at pouring beer.

The beer bottle list is an Excel spreadsheet, printed out and stuffed into a spiral 1.5" binder. It comes in at around 100 pages. The bottle list includes verticals of many of the great Trappist beers. Want an Orval? Well, you can have a new one ... or one from any year dating back to 2000. 1990s beers are frequent. The oldest beer on the list is from 1977. All come with tiny handwritten stickers above the label, noting the vintage.

They are all drinking temperature.

That is Kulminator.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #811: March 21, 2017, 12:20:29 PM »
 :clap:
So imagine a tiny old house that belongs to two senior citizens. She's about 75, he's clearly at least 80 and has a bum left knee. She looks like a champion cookie baker; he looks like a Disney cartoon version of a Swiss cuckoo clock maker. There is an actual working cuckoo clock on the wall. There are about 4 tables inside, one of which he sits at, working on some inexplicable philosophical work that requires a table's worth of library books, printouts, journals, and tracts. There are 3 tables on an outdoor smoking patio. The patio has a big log across the top with a sign that says "Cat Crossing." At one point while you're drinking, the cat does indeed cross it.

The place is floor to ceiling covered in beer paraphernalia. There are crates of old Westvleteren bottles stacked up 8+ feet tall in the entryway and in random places along the walls. There are beer ads from the 1950s and seemingly earlier. 1800s newspaper cartoons of people drinking. A window into another private room, in which you can see more beer than you've possibly ever seen before except at a brewery. It's the beginning of the cellar, which takes up about half the floor plan.

Classical music plays the whole time. Nothing from after 1830. All baroque, chamber music, and Schubert.

The patrons speak in respectfully low voices, as if they are in some kind of church or, you know, a crazy old person's house.

There are 12 beers on tap. One of them is a barrel-aged reserve gueuze from 2014. Several are Trappists. If you order Chimay Grand Reserve on tap, it comes with a free bowl of Chimay cheese.

The old man does seemingly nothing, but the old lady is really, REALLY good at pouring beer.

The beer bottle list is an Excel spreadsheet, printed out and stuffed into a spiral 1.5" binder. It comes in at around 100 pages. The bottle list includes verticals of many of the great Trappist beers. Want an Orval? Well, you can have a new one ... or one from any year dating back to 2000. 1990s beers are frequent. The oldest beer on the list is from 1977. All come with tiny handwritten stickers above the label, noting the vintage.

They are all drinking temperature.

That is Kulminator.

• babble on
« Reply #812: March 21, 2017, 02:41:06 PM »
Kulminator sounds really familiar, but I would need to be in an alcoholic fugue state to know for sure  :P

Sounds like a bangin' trip!   

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #813: March 21, 2017, 08:24:05 PM »
But Ali - aren't you always in that state ?  I know I need to talk with Frau .......

Kulminator sounds really familiar, but I would need to be in an alcoholic fugue state to know for sure  :P

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #814: March 21, 2017, 08:31:08 PM »
Life is good!!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #815: March 21, 2017, 09:53:59 PM »
So imagine a tiny old house that belongs to two senior citizens.

couple more sentences

That is Kulminator.

Boy, I could spend some time in there.  Thanks for the vivid description.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #816: March 24, 2017, 08:42:30 AM »
I have yet to find a better dark beer than the Port City Porter.  Anyone have other favorite dark beers ?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #817: March 24, 2017, 08:44:22 AM »
I have yet to find a better dark beer than the Port City Porter.  Anyone have other favorite dark beers ?

Yuengling has a very good one but Guinness is so smooth.   :cheers:

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #818: March 24, 2017, 11:11:26 AM »

:rofl:

• babble on
« Reply #819: March 24, 2017, 11:47:42 AM »
Not a High Life guy?

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #820: March 24, 2017, 11:50:39 AM »

I love the Treogenator Dopplebock.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #821: March 24, 2017, 12:05:23 PM »
Not a High Life guy?

As a youngin my go-to was Miller Lite. But I always strove to live the high life.  ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #822: March 24, 2017, 12:07:04 PM »
Guiness burns a hole in he rug if you spill it.  ;)

• babble on
« Reply #823: March 24, 2017, 12:09:38 PM »
so don't spill it!
Guiness burns a hole in he rug if you spill it.  ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #824: March 24, 2017, 12:15:13 PM »
so don't spill it!
5 second rule apply if you do?