Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2014)  (Read 34509 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2014)
« Reply #50: January 14, 2014, 07:21:08 PM »
That's a lot of cast iron to care for and store

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #51: January 14, 2014, 08:58:23 PM »
Pretty decent deal on Amazon?

5 pc Lodge cast iron set, 10-1/2-Inch round griddle, 8-Inch skillet, 10-1/4-Inch skillet, 5-Quart Dutch oven and 10-1/4-Inch iron cover.  $65 and free shhipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QM8SLG

Sure, that's a really good deal.  But up in your neck of the woods i would think cast iron would be a dime a dozen at flea markets or antique shops.  Have some fun, go buy some old 100 year old stuff that kicks ass.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #52: January 14, 2014, 09:01:06 PM »
This Rockfish recipe tonight made 2IPAs do handstands - and it was easy

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/one-dish-rockfish/

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #53: January 14, 2014, 11:01:06 PM »
Wife's making crock pot apple butter. I'll advise as to how it turns out tomorrow. On low until tomorrow.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #54: January 14, 2014, 11:04:44 PM »
Wife's making crock pot apple butter. I'll advise as to how it turns out tomorrow. On low until tomorrow.

:az:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #55: January 15, 2014, 08:35:25 AM »
I'm surprised it doesn't cost $65 just to ship that much cast iron. :)

Pretty decent deal on Amazon?

5 pc Lodge cast iron set, 10-1/2-Inch round griddle, 8-Inch skillet, 10-1/4-Inch skillet, 5-Quart Dutch oven and 10-1/4-Inch iron cover.  $65 and free shhipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QM8SLG

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #56: January 15, 2014, 08:37:36 AM »

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #57: January 15, 2014, 06:42:23 PM »
Cooking men are sexy men. Just sayin'.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #58: January 15, 2014, 06:43:29 PM »
Cooking men are sexy men. Just sayin'.

Pfft, I don't have to be cooking to be a sexy man.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #59: January 15, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
Damn straight, hoss.  But cooking just adds to it.  The chest-thumping broggadocio of macho neanderthals bores the ladies.  Well, except for the skanks, but freak them. 

Pfft, I don't have to be cooking to be a sexy man.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #60: January 15, 2014, 08:04:32 PM »
Damn straight, hoss.  But cooking just adds to it.  The chest-thumping broggadocio of macho neanderthals bores the ladies.  Well, except for the skanks, but freak them. 

I wish I had a gas stove.  Cooking with fire is even sexier.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #61: January 15, 2014, 08:42:25 PM »
Damn straight, hoss.  But cooking just adds to it.  The chest-thumping broggadocio of macho neanderthals bores the ladies.  Well, except for the skanks, butt freak them

FTFY

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #62: January 16, 2014, 09:21:57 AM »

Totally unrelated: I have a chicken recipe (planned for dinner tomorrow) that calls for a tablespoon of chicken demi-glace. I don't particularly want to go spend $24.00 at Williams-Sonoma for an ingredient of which I need such a small amount. Wegmans sells demi-glace, but not the chicken variety. We also have some veal demi-glace in the refrigerator. Anyone have a sense for how much is it would change the flavor if I use that instead? Normally with that small an amount I would just go ahead and substitute, but demi-glace has a pretty strong flavor. (The other ingredients in the sauce are 125 ml of Madeira, 60 g of dried cherries, 40 g of shallots, 125 ml of chicken stock, 1 tsp of thyme, and 2 tbsp of butter, if that makes any difference.)

Following up, made this last night and used the veal demi-glace. I have no idea how that changed the flavor since I've never made it before, but Ms1995hoo really liked it, so as far as I'm concerned that means it came out OK!

Here is the link to what we were making. The side dish (mascarpone polenta) is linked on the same page. We cut the side dish recipe in half.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/five-spice-chicken-breasts.html?cm_src=RECIPESEARCH

• babble on
« Reply #63: January 16, 2014, 09:48:53 AM »
What kind of five spice powder did you use?

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #64: January 16, 2014, 10:02:51 AM »
What kind of five spice powder did you use?

Whatever brand I have in a jar in the spice cabinet after purchasing it at the grocery store sometime last year! Sorry, off the top of my head I do not know which one it is, but if I remember I will edit this later to say.

• babble on
« Reply #65: January 16, 2014, 10:21:55 AM »
No big deal...just 'five spice' is like curry powder (i.e. it can be pretty much anything).  Nice looking recipe though.  I have a shallot sitting on the counter I need to do something with... 

Online blue911

« Reply #66: January 16, 2014, 10:39:37 AM »
Following up, made this last night and used the veal demi-glace. I have no idea how that changed the flavor since I've never made it before, but Ms1995hoo really liked it, so as far as I'm concerned that means it came out OK!

Here is the link to what we were making. The side dish (mascarpone polenta) is linked on the same page. We cut the side dish recipe in half.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/five-spice-chicken-breasts.html?cm_src=RECIPESEARCH

Good to know, thanks

Online blue911

« Reply #67: January 16, 2014, 10:40:58 AM »
No big deal...just 'five spice' is like curry powder (i.e. it can be pretty much anything).  Nice looking recipe though.  I have a shallot sitting on the counter I need to do something with...

I use Penzys mainly because they use quality cinnamon.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #68: January 16, 2014, 05:54:33 PM »

Looking at it now. Label says the brand is "Asian Gourmet." I have no idea whether it's a good one, but it seems fine. It was outstanding with the mashed sweet potatoes we made a few months ago—tossed the marshmallows with five-spice powder before baking. Now THAT smelled really good!

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #69: January 21, 2014, 07:58:08 PM »
Anyone try the roasted seaweed snacks available seemingly everywhere now?  Very addictive.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #70: January 21, 2014, 10:06:36 PM »
Anyone try the roasted seaweed snacks available seemingly everywhere now?  Very addictive.

I like the little rice wafers with seaweed.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #71: February 02, 2014, 10:50:56 PM »
Hmmm. So last night (Saturday) we had my parents over for dinner. I made horseradish-crusted beef tenderloin with a horseradish cream sauce. Ms1995hoo made a potato side dish and peas and we had Fox Meadow red wine. All-around outstanding.

So tonight my name is Mud. I told her I was going to make New Mexico–style green chili (chile verde) using four pounds of pork. She SAW me load up the slow cooker with pork, green chiles, tomatillos, a jalapeño, and some other stuff......yet when we sat down to eat around the end of halftime, I got chewed out because "chili is supposed to be red" and "chili is made with beef." But she SAW ME MAKE IT and never complained. I thought it wasn't bad. Not the best chili I've ever made, but it was something different and that's what I had in mind. Guess I know not to make this one again.

At least the corn bread was outstanding. I used a Hawaiian recipe. Second time I've made it and it is simply superb: http://www.oilsofaloha.com/macrecipes/paniolo-corn-bread

Offline Nathan

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #73: February 03, 2014, 08:20:31 AM »
Went to a Korean-Italian fusion restaurant this weekend.  They serve Badabibadabimbadabap.

• babble on
« Reply #74: February 03, 2014, 09:33:24 AM »
That tenderloin sounds really good. 

I had about 11 different batches of chili yesterday, all of which were good and several of which were outstanding.  The most unconventional (strangest?) one had coconut milk, almost a Thai curry.  I actually liked it quite a bit, but voted for a more trad one with hominy (nice little pre-columbian touch). 

Hmmm. So last night (Saturday) we had my parents over for dinner. I made horseradish-crusted beef tenderloin with a horseradish cream sauce. Ms1995hoo made a potato side dish and peas and we had Fox Meadow red wine. All-around outstanding.

So tonight my name is Mud. I told her I was going to make New Mexico–style green chili (chile verde) using four pounds of pork. She SAW me load up the slow cooker with pork, green chiles, tomatillos, a jalapeño, and some other stuff......yet when we sat down to eat around the end of halftime, I got chewed out because "chili is supposed to be red" and "chili is made with beef." But she SAW ME MAKE IT and never complained. I thought it wasn't bad. Not the best chili I've ever made, but it was something different and that's what I had in mind. Guess I know not to make this one again.

At least the corn bread was outstanding. I used a Hawaiian recipe. Second time I've made it and it is simply superb: http://www.oilsofaloha.com/macrecipes/paniolo-corn-bread