Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2014)  (Read 34269 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2014)
« Reply #25: January 14, 2014, 08:48:08 AM »
*shudder*

Dude, I hate all three of those things.

My grandmother's signature dish was "sunset salad," which is just orange jello with carrot shavings inside and Cool Whip on top. It was the nastiest thing and I hated it. My aunt always served me a full plate and until I was 15 or 16 my parents always made me eat it. When my grandma got Alzheimer's, it was terrible and awful and sad, but at least she couldn't make sunset salad anymore.

Apparently before I was born, my grandma's other signature dish was to take a casserole pan, put in cans of tuna, cans of green beans, and a couple boxes of Kraft mac'n'cheese, cover it with Velveeta, and bake. She stopped making that after my mom faked getting the flu.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #26: January 14, 2014, 09:06:36 AM »
Dude, I hate all three of those things.

My grandmother's signature dish was "sunset salad," which is just orange jello with carrot shavings inside and Cool Whip on top. It was the nastiest thing and I hated it. My aunt always served me a full plate and until I was 15 or 16 my parents always made me eat it. When my grandma got Alzheimer's, it was terrible and awful and sad, but at least she couldn't make sunset salad anymore.

Apparently before I was born, my grandma's other signature dish was to take a casserole pan, put in cans of tuna, cans of green beans, and a couple boxes of Kraft mac'n'cheese, cover it with Velveeta, and bake. She stopped making that after my mom faked getting the flu.

That sounds dreadful!

AtBC doesn't like raw tomato either, but likes them cooked like Nathan. Me, I don't care for raw onions or mushrooms, but like them both cooked.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #27: January 14, 2014, 09:38:35 AM »
Watermelon is best salted.  Cucumber too.

I hate raw tomato.  Tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, pasta sauce, salsa, all good.  Even a bit of diced tomato on a taco.  But a slice on a sandwich?  Gtfo.

I'm pretty sure we are somehow related.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #28: January 14, 2014, 09:44:32 AM »
Lightly salted raw tomato with crisp romaine, mayo, and lots of thick cut apple smoked bacon, on sourdough bread...  that's a sammich.

Watermelon is best salted.  Cucumber too.

I hate raw tomato.  Tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, pasta sauce, salsa, all good.  Even a bit of diced tomato on a taco.  But a slice on a sandwich?  Gtfo.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #29: January 14, 2014, 09:48:48 AM »
I used to eat salted and peppered thick sliced tomato all the time

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #30: January 14, 2014, 09:50:02 AM »
Lightly salted raw tomato with crisp romaine, mayo, and lots of thick cut apple smoked bacon, on sourdough bread...  that's a sammich.

That sounds awesome. I do love me a good tomato sammie, it's been hard to find good ones the last few years. Even at farmer's markets.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #31: January 14, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »
Top that with chopped onions. Fantastic.

I used to eat salted and peppered thick sliced tomato all the time

Offline PC

« Reply #32: January 14, 2014, 10:09:34 AM »
Tomatoes are absolutely, without question, my favorite food.  I NEVER turn down a good tomato.  My full garden salad (like the full English breakfast) is various types of lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, cauliflower, broccoli, bell peppers (red and green), radishes, snow peas, carrots.  Add a good dressing and I am in heaven.  Every bite is an adventure because you never get the same combination, in the same amounts.

Needless to say, most of my salads are a variation of the full version as making a salad like this is a lot of work! :lol:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #33: January 14, 2014, 11:12:45 AM »
For me, cukes can only be eaten when they are < 1 day old.  Fresh cuke is amazing, but old cukes that have sat for a week in a fridge are frightening. 

Isn't that a BLT?  One of the few sandwiches that is better with toasted white bread than wheat or whole grain.  Used to be one of my Mom's favorite meals.  For some reason, Mom had a craving for treif and a skill at preparing it.

As for tomatoes, I'm with PC.  I can even eat the industrial strength ones from FLA / Mexico / Cali that are nearly cubic, shipped raw and painted red before being sold in those plastic containers.  I mean, I don't instantly gag is one of those is in my salad.  not that I enjoy it, but I don't pick it out.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #34: January 14, 2014, 11:21:40 AM »
No!  Love them.  Grumpier the better.

So, is cucumber hate unusual?  Everyone I know loves them. 

I don't like them either, but I forced myself to eat a grilled zucchini served by our relatives in Fort Myers a few years ago when we visited. That at least was not too bad—I suspect the grilling improved it quite a bit, and I know when we go to the Japanese steakhouse near our house it's about the only restaurant where I eat all the vegetables they serve, probably because doing them on that hibachi in front of you as part of the teppanyaki-style thing gives them a lot more texture than the disgusting mushy steamed vegetables many places serve.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #35: January 14, 2014, 11:45:58 AM »
I don't like them either, but I forced myself to eat a grilled zucchini served by our relatives in Fort Myers a few years ago when we visited. That at least was not too bad—I suspect the grilling improved it quite a bit, and I know when we go to the Japanese steakhouse near our house it's about the only restaurant where I eat all the vegetables they serve, probably because doing them on that hibachi in front of you as part of the teppanyaki-style thing gives them a lot more texture than the disgusting mushy steamed vegetables many places serve.

Zucchini is not cucumber, zucchini is a squash.

I tried sauteeing a cucumber once by mistake   :glug:  and it was educational.    :spaz:

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #36: January 14, 2014, 12:31:31 PM »

Isn't that a BLT?

Yes. I was trying to back Nathan into saying he doesn't like  BLTs.

• babble on
« Reply #37: January 14, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
The only thing that can make a cucumber edible is a long time in brine with lots of garlic.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #38: January 14, 2014, 01:40:03 PM »
Maybe some dill.
The only thing that can make a cucumber edible is a long time in brine with lots of garlic.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #39: January 14, 2014, 02:09:22 PM »
Zucchini is not cucumber, zucchini is a squash.

Huh. You learn something new every day. They both look green and elongated, so I assumed they were similar.

Totally unrelated: I have a chicken recipe (planned for dinner tomorrow) that calls for a tablespoon of chicken demi-glace. I don't particularly want to go spend $24.00 at Williams-Sonoma for an ingredient of which I need such a small amount. Wegmans sells demi-glace, but not the chicken variety. We also have some veal demi-glace in the refrigerator. Anyone have a sense for how much is it would change the flavor if I use that instead? Normally with that small an amount I would just go ahead and substitute, but demi-glace has a pretty strong flavor. (The other ingredients in the sauce are 125 ml of Madeira, 60 g of dried cherries, 40 g of shallots, 125 ml of chicken stock, 1 tsp of thyme, and 2 tbsp of butter, if that makes any difference.)

Offline blue911

« Reply #40: January 14, 2014, 02:35:07 PM »
Is that a reduction sauce? If so screw the demi-glaze.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #41: January 14, 2014, 02:46:49 PM »
Yes. I was trying to back Nathan into saying he doesn't like  BLTs.

I don't.  I just put bacon, lettuce, and mayo.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #42: January 14, 2014, 02:52:32 PM »
It's an AMERICAN CLASSIC. You don't love America.

I don't.  I just put bacon, lettuce, and mayo.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #43: January 14, 2014, 02:53:18 PM »
Is that a reduction sauce? If so screw the demi-glaze.

Here is what that part of the instructions say:

Pour off all but 1 Tbs. of the fat from the pan and set the pan over medium heat. Add the shallot and thyme, cover the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallot is tender, about 2 minutes. Add the demi-glace, stock, Madeira and cherries. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook uncovered, stirring constantly, until the sauce looks glazed, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the butter. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.

"Glazed" isn't quite the same thing as a reduction sauce, which is part of what made me wonder.

• babble on
« Reply #44: January 14, 2014, 02:55:08 PM »
Bacon...bacon.  The bacon cheeseburger at the District Chophouse is off the hook - a 10 ounce patty with several thick slabs of bacon and a substantial layer of melted sharp cheddar.  The angioplasty is totally worth it. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #45: January 14, 2014, 03:03:04 PM »
Here is what that part of the instructions say:

"Glazed" isn't quite the same thing as a reduction sauce, which is part of what made me wonder.

Yeah I was fishing. I know that beef stock is awful except with beef so I'd worry about the Veal demi-glaze being too weird. I think I'd do without or add a little more Madeira

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #46: January 14, 2014, 04:31:53 PM »
Thanks. I'll see what my wife thinks as well. I tried looking for "demi-glace substitutes" online but didn't really find much that was helpful.

I suppose this is part of the reason why I normally try something multiple times before deciding whether I'd serve it when my parents come to visit!

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #47: January 14, 2014, 05:35:27 PM »
This was posted on another forum today. I suppose it would fit more properly in a thread of "Food you do NOT eat," but I'll simply put it here.

Don't drink something as you read this lest ye spit it all over the place.

http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gummy-Candy-Sugarless-5-Pound/product-reviews/B000EVQWKC/ref=pr_all_summary_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Offline Nathan

« Reply #48: January 14, 2014, 06:07:54 PM »
My sides :lmao:

During one of the last of the 8 trips to the bathroom, I released such a large volume of gas that my external anal sphincter could not do it's job, and remained open/relaxed, while about 4.5-5 seconds of gas was expelled. I've never experienced, or even heard of that happening. It was so unnatural, that I had to check to feel if my colon had somehow passed through the anal sphincter muscle.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #49: January 14, 2014, 07:14:36 PM »
Pretty decent deal on Amazon?

5 pc Lodge cast iron set, 10-1/2-Inch round griddle, 8-Inch skillet, 10-1/4-Inch skillet, 5-Quart Dutch oven and 10-1/4-Inch iron cover.  $65 and free shhipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QM8SLG