Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2014)  (Read 26066 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2014)
« Reply #125: March 13, 2014, 09:53:57 AM »
food question that Ali may know the answer to - In what part of the world did chilis originate?  I thought they were from the new world (americas), but in the beer thread and elsewhere, there is a lot of talk about Thai chilis, and of course chilis are huge in asian cuisine.  Were they exported to Asia, kind of like the tomato was exported from the Americas to europe and became a feature of Italian cuisine?

a surprisingly good read http://www.amazon.com/Edible-History-Humanity-Tom-Standage/dp/0802719910 if you're interested (the end veers into GMO debates, but the sections on the spice trade and the origin of cereals are really well done)

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #126: March 24, 2014, 08:34:02 PM »
Did this crockpot chicken recipe tonight.  Decent but I overcooked the thing. 

http://www.npr.org/2014/01/09/260554814/slow-cook-your-way-to-the-colonels-secret-recipe

I made this today. I had a 7-pound chicken, so I doubled the ingredients in the spice rub. I put it in the slow cooker for 7 hours on low, but it was done (based on a meat thermometer) after about 5.5 hours, so I turned the slow cooker down to the "warm" setting until we were ready for dinner.

It was decent. Didn't taste like KFC, but the meat was moist and the rub tasted OK. I left the skin on, but next time I will remove it because it turns out Ms1995hoo won't eat the skin (hey, most of the chicken we cook is skinless, so I didn't know!). So she didn't really get much of the seasoning even though I rubbed some around inside the cavity. We agreed we should try it again. So that's a good sign.

I was also left with the nuisance of disposing of about a litre of rendered chicken fat that was left behind in the slow cooker. Normally I pour grease into a coffee mug and freeze it, but that wasn't practical here due to the amount, so I got out the biggest Pyrex measuring cup I have, poured the grease into that, then poured it into a one-gallon ziplock bag, closed that, and put it in the garbage can down in the garage.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #127: March 25, 2014, 08:27:14 PM »
Ok so I made gnocchi the other day and it turned out fine, but a bit soft. Any ideas on how to make them harder?

I used 2lbs potato, one egg and about a cup of flour. Hand-kneaded it. It was still somewhat sticky to the touch when I decided to shape the gnocchi, but I had decided I had used enough flour already.

It was my first time making gnocchi so any advice would be welcome :)  (I'd love to be able to make an eggless version sometime, to serve to my allergic friend).

Phone camera was having a bad day so the pic is blurry, but here's them all done!

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #128: March 25, 2014, 08:49:36 PM »
What's on them?

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #129: March 25, 2014, 09:48:44 PM »
What's on them?
Alfredo sauce. Only stuff I had around!

I'm not sure if that's proper or not, my family's German so I wouldn't know.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #130: March 26, 2014, 12:03:40 AM »
That's what it looked like, looks good whether "right" or not :lol:

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #131: March 27, 2014, 08:01:17 PM »
Ok I'm gonna share with you my (and my roommates', and my family's) favorite recipe right now, slightly modified from something I found on allrecipes. If you ever have the craving for Indian curry but would rather spend your money on other things, definitely try this:

Take-Out Indian Curry

Time: 30-40 minutes
Ingredients:
Jasmine Rice
2-4 chicken breasts (add more or less as needed)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp curry powder
1 onion
3 garlic cloves
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground ginger
.5 tsp cayenne pepper (can be upped to 1 tsp if you really like it spicy!)
.5 tsp ground cinnamon
.25 tsp ground turmeric
1 14oz can tomato sauce (plain)
1 cup half & half cream
2 tsp paprika
1 tbsp white sugar
.5 head cauliflower, steamed

1) Preheat oven to 350. Start cooking rice.
2) Chop up chicken into bite-sized pieces. Mix curry powder and oil in a cup. Mix oil mixture and chicken in a bowl. Place on a foiled cookie sheet. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
3) Chop up onion and garlic. Cook in large pan with a 2+ inch lip with melted butter at med-high heat. Cook for 5 minutes, until fragrant and somewhat translucent.
4) Stir in cumin, salt, ground ginger, cayenne, cinnamon, and tumeric in with the onion and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
5) Pour in tomato sauce and half & half. Turn heat to medium. Stir as pan cools down to prevent milk from burning (3 minutes or so).
6) Mix in paprika and white sugar. Simmer on med/med-low heat for 15 minutes (or until thick enough for personal tastes).
7) Mix cooked chicken (drained) and cauliflower into curry right after they are done (regardless of how much longer you need to cook the sauce).

Serve with the jasmine rice.  :az:

This crap is awesome guys. If you really want extra calories you can use heavy whipping cream, but I think the recipe tastes fantastic with half & half (do NOT get the fat free kind. Bad things will probably happen)

Offline dracnal

« Reply #132: March 27, 2014, 08:12:04 PM »
In the Indian vein, let me share the recipe I cooked up for the family tonight. I used half the paste and ran the recipe up to the 'Add chicken' step.  At that point, I let it cool and put it in the fridge overnight. I used the other half of the paste as sort of a wetrub marinade and let that soak over night too.  Really lets the flavors spread and soak into the onions and such.  Vindaloo is basically a HOT stew variant of curry.

Paste ingredients:
6 thai chilies (you can ignore these if you're using a hot sauce - put as many shakes of the sauce in as you like in place of them)
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tblsp cinnamon
2 tsp cardamom
10 garlic cloves
2 tsp ginger
Splash of vinegar

Toss all that in a blender or, alternately, mince/crush the garlic and mix everything together. You'll be dumping it into the pan soon enough.

Main ingredients:
1 piece of chicken breast per person eating, cut into 1-1.5 inch cubes (roughly)
2 tsp vinegar
Olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan or pot
4 garlic cloves
1 medium yellow onion, halved and sliced
1 28oz can of tomatoes - I used crushed, you can used diced as well, whichever you prefer. Do  NOT drain them - dump it right in as is.

Crush the 4 garlic cloves, heat the oil in the pan over medium heat. Toss in the garlic when heated and sautee until fragrant. Add the onion and sautee until golden brown, probably 5 minutes or so. Dump in the tomatoes and vinegar and stir to combine, then add in the paste and do the same. Cook for 10-15 minutes like this, stirring occasionally.

Add the chicken meat and about 8oz of water, cook over medium heat for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce should thicken up in the pan; add more water if it's getting too thick. If it's too thin when you get to the end of the cooking time, sprinkle in a little corn starch until it thickens.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #133: March 27, 2014, 08:31:19 PM »
Thanks for sharing dracnal! I'm totally making this.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #134: March 28, 2014, 07:44:11 AM »
Thanks for those. I might try the first one sometime (not today since it's Friday). I made a pork vindaloo recipe using the slow cooker earlier this year and Ms1995hoo told me not to serve it to her again because it was too spicy.

Online Mathguy

• Whoa That Was A Good One ! Poke His Brain Here !
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #135: March 28, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »
Sounds awesome - can you post it here for us spiceheads ?

Thanks for those. I might try the first one sometime (not today since it's Friday). I made a pork vindaloo recipe using the slow cooker earlier this year and Ms1995hoo told me not to serve it to her again because it was too spicy.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #136: March 28, 2014, 08:45:50 PM »
Sounds awesome - can you post it here for us spiceheads ?

Sure, I'll try to get to it this weekend or Monday.

Online GburgNatsFan

« Reply #137: March 28, 2014, 09:00:30 PM »
I made a copy of this sumnag.

In the Indian vein, let me share the recipe I cooked up for the family tonight. I used half the paste and ran the recipe up to the 'Add chicken' step.  At that point, I let it cool and put it in the fridge overnight. I used the other half of the paste as sort of a wetrub marinade and let that soak over night too.  Really lets the flavors spread and soak into the onions and such.  Vindaloo is basically a HOT stew variant of curry.

Paste ingredients:
6 thai chilies (you can ignore these if you're using a hot sauce - put as many shakes of the sauce in as you like in place of them)
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tblsp cinnamon
2 tsp cardamom
10 garlic cloves
2 tsp ginger
Splash of vinegar

Toss all that in a blender or, alternately, mince/crush the garlic and mix everything together. You'll be dumping it into the pan soon enough.

Main ingredients:
1 piece of chicken breast per person eating, cut into 1-1.5 inch cubes (roughly)
2 tsp vinegar
Olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan or pot
4 garlic cloves
1 medium yellow onion, halved and sliced
1 28oz can of tomatoes - I used crushed, you can used diced as well, whichever you prefer. Do  NOT drain them - dump it right in as is.

Crush the 4 garlic cloves, heat the oil in the pan over medium heat. Toss in the garlic when heated and sautee until fragrant. Add the onion and sautee until golden brown, probably 5 minutes or so. Dump in the tomatoes and vinegar and stir to combine, then add in the paste and do the same. Cook for 10-15 minutes like this, stirring occasionally.

Add the chicken meat and about 8oz of water, cook over medium heat for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce should thicken up in the pan; add more water if it's getting too thick. If it's too thin when you get to the end of the cooking time, sprinkle in a little corn starch until it thickens.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #138: April 07, 2014, 08:45:38 PM »
DC United Lot 8 tailgate regular whose line of hot sauces has just launched:

http://www.angrychef.us/

Offline Nathan

« Reply #139: April 09, 2014, 01:31:11 AM »
:lmao:

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #140: April 09, 2014, 01:06:56 PM »
:lmao:

That's gold.

I made chocolate-dipped frozen bananas for my roommates for the first time. I had eight banana halves done on Friday before I left for the weekend and came back to them all gone :lol: but I have to admit they're really delicious. Personally I like them better than icecream as long as they have been frozen overnight.

Probably will make some chocolate dipped strawberries for everyone on Thursday but I don't have any white chocolate to make them pretty, though I don't think the roommates will mind ;)

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #141: April 09, 2014, 04:35:19 PM »
I assure you, they won't care!  :lol:

I love doing bananas wrapped in foil with brown sugar and maple on the grill. And they are really badass over pancakes or ice cream.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #142: April 09, 2014, 04:38:01 PM »
Dammit, now I want bananas and peanut butter.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #143: April 09, 2014, 04:38:28 PM »
I assure you, they won't care!  :lol:

I love doing bananas wrapped in foil with brown sugar and maple on the grill. And they are really badass over pancakes or ice cream.

if you're going to wrap them in foil, oven works too. Peach halves are also great the same way, and the hole in the middle is nice for a scoop of ice cream

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #144: April 09, 2014, 04:56:24 PM »
if you're going to wrap them in foil, oven works too. Peach halves are also great the same way, and the hole in the middle is nice for a scoop of ice cream
:az: I love peaches baked like that. I also just love sliced peaches with a little cinnamon topped with a butter, flour and cinnamon crumble. Too bad peach season is still a few months away.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #145: April 09, 2014, 04:57:16 PM »
You must be the world's best roommate.  Mine generally just lay baked on the couch and borrowed my stuff when I wasn't there.   
That's gold.

I made chocolate-dipped frozen bananas for my roommates for the first time. I had eight banana halves done on Friday before I left for the weekend and came back to them all gone :lol: but I have to admit they're really delicious. Personally I like them better than icecream as long as they have been frozen overnight.

Probably will make some chocolate dipped strawberries for everyone on Thursday but I don't have any white chocolate to make them pretty, though I don't think the roommates will mind ;)

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #146: April 09, 2014, 05:00:24 PM »
You must be the world's best roommate.  Mine generally just lay baked on the couch and borrowed my stuff when I wasn't there.   
I try, we've all been good friends for a while and they like to help me with cooking. Also it's so much cheaper to share groceries, I almost pay half as much living with them than I did when I was living alone AND I eat better (though I had a lot of take-out back then, didn't have a oven and the stove barely worked  :?)

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #147: April 09, 2014, 08:44:25 PM »
Lemon Shrimp

Melt a stick of ‪‎butter‬ in the pan.
Slice one ‪lemon‬ and layer it on top of the butter.
Put down a fresh pound of ‎shrimp‬,
Then sprinkle one pack of dried ‪‎Italian‬ seasoning.
Put in the oven and bake at 350 for 15 min.
Best Shrimp you will EVER taste

Sprinkle red chili flakes or Old Bay for a spicy twist to it!

Made this tonight. Good stuff. Thanks for posting it.

Offline Vega

• On the Cutting Edge
« Reply #148: April 09, 2014, 08:47:37 PM »
Do pistachios grind up well enough to be put in hummus?

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #149: April 09, 2014, 08:58:58 PM »
Do pistachios grind up well enough to be put in hummus?
If you want crunchy hummus.

If you want it smooth, you have to cook them for a bit in an oven. Go with these instructions: http://www.thehealthymaven.com/2013/10/homemade-pistachio-butter.html