Author Topic: Potomac Nationals New Stadium - Fredericksburg!  (Read 44823 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Potomac Nationals New Stadium Watch
« Reply #25: June 25, 2015, 09:17:49 AM »
Are there enough people in town after school is out to fill the stands?
Short season teams are usually in small towns.  Auburn, NY, Pulaski, Va so that would not be a problem.  I would assume that Charlottesville could support a high A franchise. Harrisonburg is not too far away also.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #27: June 26, 2015, 09:04:03 AM »
Short season teams are usually in small towns.  Auburn, NY, Pulaski, Va so that would not be a problem.  I would assume that Charlottesville could support a high A franchise. Harrisonburg is not too far away also.

Plenty of people down here. City is only 45,000 but the metropolitan area is like 210,000 and that doesn't include Harrisonburg which is 40 minutes away. Plus, you're in a college town so people are going to support the local sports very well. If we regularly draw 3,000 non-students to women's basketball games, I'm sure we can support minor league baseball during a period where the big draws are already finished with their home seasons (no football or men's basketball).

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #29: January 31, 2016, 12:21:51 PM »
I wonder how much longer the Carolina League will let them stay in that dump. IIRC, the League let them stay even though they do not meet the League's minimum standards (because they had the new stadium in the works).

Would not be surprised if the League jumped in after this season.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #30: January 31, 2016, 12:29:57 PM »
How many localities are willing to build single a stadiums? They might not have a plethora of options

Online imref

« Reply #31: January 31, 2016, 06:52:40 PM »
How many localities are willing to build single a stadiums? They might not have a plethora of options

I'm guessing at some point they'll just figure a way to improve the Fitz.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #32: January 31, 2016, 09:48:16 PM »
Columbia, SC hit a team back this season.
I imagine after a few years without a team, Kinston would be willing to refresh their stadium.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #33: January 31, 2016, 09:50:08 PM »
I'm guessing at some point they'll just figure a way to improve the Fitz.
It's lipstick on a pig. They barely  have Locker rooms.

Online imref

« Reply #34: February 16, 2016, 01:56:21 PM »
An update:  Basically nothing has changed.   Their waiver to keep playing at the Pfitz expires with the start of the 2018 season.  There has been no new movement on building a new stadium, and there's no commitment yet by the Nationals to extend their relationship with Potomac past next season.

http://www.insidenova.com/headlines/potomac-nationals-face-deadline-for-new-stadium/article_b59a464c-d39e-11e5-813b-fbf8ac2a00ad.html

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #35: February 16, 2016, 01:59:17 PM »
would the Nats really drop them? Having an affiliate that close to their main market seems like a great way to get fans who may not want to go into a city for games to still see 'nats' baseball. I know now I'm not willing to take my girls into nats park on a regular basis, but I am willing to drive to the pfitz, but as the girls get older I plan on transitioning them to the nats

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #36: February 16, 2016, 05:12:37 PM »
Only about 250,000 people attend P-Nats games each year, and how many of those are unique? Probably 100,000 or fewer (maybe a lot fewer). How many of those would NOT attend Nationals games or become Nationals fans? I actually think it would be a tougher decision if the minor league club was farther away. You might lose Harrisburg fans to Pittsburgh or Philly if you move that affiliate, but what are the chances a PWC fan will abandon the Nationals for another team? You are within commuting distance of the ballpark!

I think if you have serious issues with a minor league club, the geographical convenience/synergy probably takes a back seat.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #37: February 16, 2016, 05:43:53 PM »
I would think the number attending nats games is high judging by the gear people wear to the games, and the trip to dc is easy for people going to pants games- for a lot of people in fairfax and Alexandria they're probably equidistant. I'm willing to bet there is a far greater overlap of ticket sales there than Harrisburg where a nats game is probably a once or twice a year thing at most

Online imref

« Reply #38: February 16, 2016, 06:37:12 PM »
would the Nats really drop them? Having an affiliate that close to their main market seems like a great way to get fans who may not want to go into a city for games to still see 'nats' baseball. I know now I'm not willing to take my girls into nats park on a regular basis, but I am willing to drive to the pfitz, but as the girls get older I plan on transitioning them to the nats

the real benefit to the Nats is players who are rehabbing can work out at the stadium with the training staff, then play at night in Potomac.  Other than that, I don't see any real benefit of keeping the relationship up with the P-Nats.  The relationship is far more beneficial for the Potomac Nationals.  I'd imagine their attendance would drop into the hundreds or dozens per game absent a relationship with the big club.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #39: February 16, 2016, 07:23:03 PM »
I would think the number attending nats games is high judging by the gear people wear to the games, and the trip to dc is easy for people going to pants games- for a lot of people in fairfax and Alexandria they're probably equidistant. I'm willing to bet there is a far greater overlap of ticket sales there than Harrisburg where a nats game is probably a once or twice a year thing at most

Right, that's kind of my point. Do the Nationals really care about trying to "keep" ticket buyers that overlap with P-Nats ticket buyers? Won't those people come anyway? I think there's much more risk with losing teams that are on the outskirts of your television/merchandising region.

Let's put it this way - will PWC cable companies ever cancel MASN? No, but the cable companies around Harrisburg likely would if the Senators left. Will people in PWC ever stop buying Nats jerseys? Nope, but people in Syracuse will.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #40: February 16, 2016, 07:29:55 PM »
I can't speak for everyone, but for me it would have meant fewer nats games. My daughters essentially learn how to go to baseball games at pnats games. The older one is finally able to sit through games and enjoys it, so we plan on going to a bunch of nats games next year. Without the pnats, we certainly would attend fewer nats games next year because I'm not willing to waste the time money and effort on figuring out if she likes baseball games at the major league level

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #41: February 16, 2016, 08:43:58 PM »
Not happy about the non-action on the stadium since I live so close to both the old and new proposed sites.  Oh well.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #42: February 17, 2016, 08:30:04 AM »
Only about 250,000 people attend P-Nats games each year, and how many of those are unique? Probably 100,000 or fewer (maybe a lot fewer). How many of those would NOT attend Nationals games or become Nationals fans? I actually think it would be a tougher decision if the minor league club was farther away. You might lose Harrisburg fans to Pittsburgh or Philly if you move that affiliate, but what are the chances a PWC fan will abandon the Nationals for another team? You are within commuting distance of the ballpark!

I think if you have serious issues with a minor league club, the geographical convenience/synergy probably takes a back seat.
You wonder if maybe the Nats would switch affiliations from the Carolina league the Florida State league.  I think that one is High A too and where the Dodgers and some other teams have affiliates.  You could use the Palm Beach facilities, which should be state of the art for rehab and conditioning.  Gio's dad could help anyone with weight loss issues.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #43: February 17, 2016, 09:00:09 AM »
If I was the Nats, if be interested in having my young players play in a better facility. It would have to be semi close as well.

Having said that, it may be that the Carolina League chooses to not renew their waiver for 2018.

If that looks to be the case, I could see another municipality in the Carolina League footprint stepping forward.

Kinston comes to mind. And whichever city lost its team to the Columbia, SC relocation. Was that Augusta?

Online imref

« Reply #44: February 17, 2016, 09:05:08 AM »
If only they could resurrect the Loudoun One site..

Online imref

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #46: March 20, 2016, 08:27:33 AM »
I feel like it'll be the pfitz until they get kicked out of the league

Online imref

« Reply #47: March 20, 2016, 08:38:09 AM »
I feel like it'll be the pfitz until they get kicked out of the league

Yeah. Sadly at some point the Nats will probably just get a different affiliate. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #48: March 20, 2016, 09:25:37 AM »
Yeah. Sadly at some point the Nats will probably just get a different affiliate.
Someone else bought the land where they plan to build the stadium.  Article says that's not a problem but I wold think otherwise.  Also, I don't think there are any major companies in this area that want to pay for naming rights.  I suspect that Silber think the Lerners will pitch in for that eventually rather than lose a local affiliate.  Don't think that's the way they roll.

http://www.insidenova.com/headlines/potomac-nationals-face-deadline-for-new-stadium/article_b59a464c-d39e-11e5-813b-fbf8ac2a00ad.html

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #49: March 20, 2016, 09:32:30 AM »
I think there is zero public appetite to build it and the plans are just too big to ever cobble together enough private interest