Author Topic: John Kruk  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Rojo Johnson

• formerly Southeast Jerome
  • nages leave
John Kruk
« Topic Start: April 01, 2007, 07:49:45 PM »
The fact that this man didn't know who Geddy Lee was makes me a little unsure if he knows anything.  Do I trust him as a baseball commentator?  Lord no. 

That's all I have to say, and the fact that the John Kruk opening day commercial creeped me out so bad that I didn't know that it was Rush as the backing band.  Yikes. 

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Re: John Kruk
« Reply #1: April 01, 2007, 10:35:48 PM »
I guess Kruk should send you a letter of apology, since he, along with the rest of the world, is expected to know who Geddy Lee is. Not everyone is into music and who plays with which band like some are, in fact most people couldn't name all the members of any one band, let alone a specific one.

As for Kruk's talents, or lack of same, as a baseball commentator, I cant say, because I've not heard him yet, in fact I don't even have a clue if he is a pre-game show, post-game show or in-game commentator. Is it something every Nats fans is supposed to know, or is it OK for an out-of-towner to not know everything that goes on the air in DC?

BTW, without looking it up, do you know who John Entwistle is?

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #2: April 01, 2007, 11:00:55 PM »
I guess Kruk should send you a letter of apology, since he, along with the rest of the world, is expected to know who Geddy Lee is. Not everyone is into music and who plays with which band like some are, in fact most people couldn't name all the members of any one band, let alone a specific one.

As for Kruk's talents, or lack of same, as a baseball commentator, I cant say, because I've not heard him yet, in fact I don't even have a clue if he is a pre-game show, post-game show or in-game commentator. Is it something every Nats fans is supposed to know, or is it OK for an out-of-towner to not know everything that goes on the air in DC?

actually Kruk isn't a local - he's an ex-Phillie turned ESPN baseball analyst...and he isn't as fat and disgusting as he used to be.  At least that's what his wife says apparently.   :D

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #3: April 02, 2007, 09:20:42 AM »
In 2005, Kruk performed a dissertation on how awful the Marlins were to force and injured and limping pitcher, Jim Mercir, into a game.  As a relief pitcher, this was about the 470th game in Mercir's 11th MLB season.  He spent several years as the setup guy for Oakland when they had the "big three," so it's not like he just emerged on the scene.  Mercir has a club foot and a permanent limp.  Nobody else on BBTN had a clue, either.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: April 09, 2007, 10:44:28 AM »

John Entwistle is arguably the finest bass player ever, in my opinion.  RIP.

From "The Who", of course

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #5: April 09, 2007, 12:23:21 PM »
John Entwistle is arguably the finest bass player ever, in my opinion.  RIP.

From "The Who", of course

Yeah, the Ox was the best.

BTW, I am less disturbed by the fact that Kruk doesn't know who Geddy Lee is than I am by the fact that Dave Feldman - DC Channel 5 Sportscaster - actually said on the radio the other day that he thought that the Nats won 91 games last year.

BTW2 - Geddy Lee is actually "Gary". His Grandmother pronounced it "Geddy", thus giving him the nickname. Just FYI for all you music trivia people.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #6: April 11, 2007, 01:44:21 AM »
John Kruk is a screaming idiot.

He asserted, back in 2005 some time around August, that Jon Garland should go on to win the Cy Young.  His reasoning was that "he had the most wins on the best team (White Sox)."  Buehrle had more quality starts, K's, a better ERA and WHIP, etc.  Still, Garland had one more win, so he was clearly the leading candidate. :roll: He probably would've voted Steve Trachsel over John Patterson for the Cy that year.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #7: May 30, 2007, 06:08:57 PM »
John Kruk is a screaming idiot.

He asserted, back in 2005 some time around August, that Jon Garland should go on to win the Cy Young.  His reasoning was that "he had the most wins on the best team (White Sox)."  Buehrle had more quality starts, K's, a better ERA and WHIP, etc.  Still, Garland had one more win, so he was clearly the leading candidate. :roll: He probably would've voted Steve Trachsel over John Patterson for the Cy that year.

If Kruk made that prediction in early to mid August, he wasn't that far off.  By the second week of August, 2005, Garland was 16-5 with an ERA of 3.29.  Buehrle was an impressive 13-4 as well, with a 2.79 ERA.  I don't think it was too far off to predict 20 wins for Garland, which would have put him in contention for the Cy Young.  Interestingly enough, Hollywood Johnny would only get two more wins, and Mark would only win 3 more before the end of the regular season.  Garland finished 18-10 with a 3.50 ERA, Buehrle was 16-8 with a 3.12 ERA.  While Buehrle is obviously a better pitcher over their shared careers, I think its hard to say that Mark was far and above a more valuable pitcher to the Sox in 2005.  So I might cut Big John Kruk a little slack for that remark.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #8: May 30, 2007, 11:48:58 PM »
Hey soxfan, you need to adjust your sig... The opening size part should read "size=10pt" (without the quotes) You're missing the pt after the size number.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #9: June 01, 2007, 12:00:21 AM »
Hey soxfan, you need to adjust your sig... The opening size part should read "size=10pt" (without the quotes) You're missing the pt after the size number.

I think I fixed it.  But all those errant []marks and stuff had a certain charm, didn't you think?