Author Topic: "God Bless America"  (Read 8275 times)

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Re: "God Bless America"
« Reply #50: October 28, 2013, 10:47:37 PM »
I got into it with an usher at a Nats game who held me up from going back to my seat during GBA. I asked why, and he seemed shocked, pointed at the singer and said, "it's God bless America. It's patriotic."  To which I rolled eyes and said "so" as I don't see how that has anything to do with halting crowd flow during the 7th inning stretch. He then told me to take my hat off, which is when I got pissed at him. I told him that it isn't the national anthem and the colors are not on display and that you are not really supposed to take your hat off. It is actually disrespectful to the anthem to do so. I notice they never request removal of caps during it like they do during the anthem. Clearly there is an understanding of proper protocol but the ushers just haven't been instructed properly.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #51: October 28, 2013, 10:56:16 PM »
While I never want to get on the bad side of an usher, it does seem silly to stop the flow of fans at a time between innings.

I got into it with an usher at a Nats game who held me up from going back to my seat during GBA. I asked why, and he seemed shocked, pointed at the singer and said, "it's God bless America. It's patriotic."  To which I rolled eyes and said "so" as I don't see how that has anything to do with halting crowd flow during the 7th inning stretch. He then told me to take my hat off, which is when I got pissed at him. I told him that it isn't the national anthem and the colors are not on display and that you are not really supposed to take your hat off. It is actually disrespectful to the anthem to do so. I notice they never request removal of caps during it like they do during the anthem. Clearly there is an understanding of proper protocol but the ushers just haven't been instructed properly.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #52: October 28, 2013, 11:20:45 PM »
While I never want to get on the bad side of an usher, it does seem silly to stop the flow of fans at a time between innings.

If you've never drunkenly mocked one of the ushers at Nationals Park, you're not doing it right.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #53: October 29, 2013, 07:07:31 AM »
Compromise: Sing America the Beautiful but play the one done by Ray Charles because it reminds me of The Sandlot.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #54: October 29, 2013, 07:58:34 AM »
Play born in the USA- the go America crowd thinks it's patriotic, everyone else can laugh at the irony

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #55: October 29, 2013, 08:37:57 AM »
I thought I was just getting old and grumpy about the whole GBA as the second national anthem thing...

I have found in my life, one doesn't preclude the other.   :)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #56: October 29, 2013, 09:06:21 AM »
Berlin's invocation of G_d to "bless America" while using non-religious patriotic imagery captures his mindset - loving what the country did for him by allowing him and other Jews to live freely and escape Russia but at the same time being uncomfortable with specificly religious imagery because he was not a part of the mainstream, Christian religion of the country.  What he would do in this and other songs is to connect a religious theme with secular imagery so he could share in the moment.  White Christmas and Easter Parade are examples of songs where he attached secular images to the religious occasions that he could not otherwise share in.  Compare the invocation of G_d in GBA to the Battle Hymn of the Republic, which is much more explicitly Christian in its images.

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me.
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #57: October 29, 2013, 09:28:29 AM »
Play born in the USA- the go America crowd thinks it's patriotic, everyone else can laugh at the irony

Springsteen's 'Born in the USA' is the most misunderstood song lyric of all time.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #58: October 29, 2013, 09:32:27 AM »
Springsteen's 'Born in the USA' is the most misunderstood song lyric of all time.

I think some folks only hear the line  ...   "Born in the U. S. A."

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #59: October 29, 2013, 10:50:25 AM »

I've never forgotten going to a game at Camden Yards a few weeks after 9-11 and the idiot ballpark DJ playing "Born in the USA" immediately after "God Bless America." Most of the crowd sang along, too.  :roll: The acoustic version of that song on Springsteen's Live in New York City makes the song's meaning a lot clearer because it's a harsh, angry rendition.

I do not usually stand for "God Bless America" at ballgames.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #60: October 29, 2013, 10:53:40 AM »
I've never forgotten going to a game at Camden Yards a few weeks after 9-11 and the idiot ballpark DJ playing "Born in the USA" immediately after "God Bless America." Most of the crowd sang along, too.  :roll: The acoustic version of that song on Springsteen's Live in New York City makes the song's meaning a lot clearer because it's a harsh, angry rendition.

I do not usually stand for "God Bless America" at ballgames.

I can understand some people thinking that killing the yellow man is a patriotic lyric, but
"Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man says "son if it was up to me"
Went down to see my V.A. man
He said "son don't you understand now"
Had a brother at Khe Sahn fighting off the Viet Cong
They're still there he's all gone"

isn't exactly an ode to american values

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #61: October 29, 2013, 12:49:44 PM »
Or maybe is too much of an ode to American values? :|

I can understand some people thinking that killing the yellow man is a patriotic lyric, but
"Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man says "son if it was up to me"
Went down to see my V.A. man
He said "son don't you understand now"
Had a brother at Khe Sahn fighting off the Viet Cong
They're still there he's all gone"

isn't exactly an ode to american values

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #62: October 29, 2013, 12:51:21 PM »
Yes. This has leaked through. :)

I have found in my life, one doesn't preclude the other.   :)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #63: October 29, 2013, 02:43:26 PM »
Because 9/11

I find it annoying and somewhat insensitive to atheists

I'm darn offended off my darn ass.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #64: October 29, 2013, 02:50:01 PM »
Or maybe is too much of an ode to American values? :|

Indeed

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #65: October 29, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
I'm darn offended off my darn ass.
I'm offended at your harsh language. You've violated my rights. I'm calling the ACLU.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #66: October 29, 2013, 04:58:56 PM »
They've already got you on a list. Don't bother.

I'm offended at your harsh language. You've violated my rights. I'm calling the ACLU.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #67: October 29, 2013, 04:59:25 PM »
Yes. This has leaked through. :)

My buddies and I often joke that there is no such thing as a grumpy old man.   It's just older guys whose toleration of BS has expired.   So when somebody tells you to remove your hat during GBA, you gotta call BS on 'em.   

Offline Coladar

« Reply #68: October 29, 2013, 05:18:34 PM »
I had a fat red state nag in a fanny pack and Old Glory t-shirt scream at me for not holding my hat over my heart during that song.  First I told her nicely to mind her business before I told her to freak off. 

Holy crap, she and I would've had words. I have this thing with that - so much so that it pisses me off when people do that during GBA. I find it disrespectful to the National Anthem. There is one song, the song of this nation, that demands one show respect in such a way. Extending it to any ol' patriotic song, in my view, cheapens the practice for the national anthem. It dilutes the significance of the whole affair. Mind you, I take my hat off during it. That is just showing proper respect to the country during a patriotic moment. Like the whole 'wearing a hat indoors isn't polite' type of thing - exactly why the cap should be removed for any patriotic song/moment. But holding the hat/hand over heart during the song is one step too far, and should be exclusive to our anthem.

For me it has little to do with the religious nature of the song... I feel the same way about the 'The flag still stands for freedom, and they can't take that away...' that was all the rage after 9/11. That said, the religiousness of God Bless America is absolute. Demanding people of other faiths, whether atheist, Shinto, Buddhist, Wiccan, Jedi or whatever, show their allegiance to a song that states unequivocally of faith in an Abrahamic, monotheistic God in a nation founded on religious freedom is... not cool in my eyes.

Then again, I was the insane seven year old who either went silent for the Pledge's 'Under God,', or added my own seven year old witty repertoire to fill the void and be lost/drowned out by thirty other voices. Personal faith is groovy. State mandated, indoctrinated, enforced proclamations of any and all faiths, not so much.

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #69: October 29, 2013, 05:57:42 PM »
Toby Keith surely just plays to the masses with his red white and blue lyrics, and this coming from a country music fan.  That being said Lee Greenwood's God Bless the USA is about as great a patriotic song as there is. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #70: October 29, 2013, 06:07:23 PM »
Toby Keith surely just plays to the masses with his red white and blue lyrics, and this coming from a country music fan.  That being said Lee Greenwood's God Bless the USA is about as great a patriotic song as there is. 

The bottom line for me is "When did they serve?" not "What song did they write?"   This ain't directed at you TF.   I just get a little tired of some of the folks who tell you to take off your hat, tell you to stand, write "red, white and blue" lyrics, wave the flag, put "Support the Troops" magnets on their car, tell you what "patriotism" is seem to have a reason why they couldn't serve.    Trust me, it ain't that hard if you really do or don't want to serve.   That's coming from an old draftee.  :)

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #71: October 29, 2013, 06:25:46 PM »
No offense taken.  Mitlen as I've expressed I've got nothing but the most sincere appreciation and thanks to anyone who served this great nation, whether during war or not.  I didn't serve for numerous reasons but the least of which are lack of respect for the country.  Times are different now than during either World War.  To me, both WW were far more important and we should have been involved in both more than any other war since. 

However I don't think any song/feeling is more or less important based upon service to this country.  What about someone of age between Vietnam and the first Gulf War?  Are they SOL?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #72: October 29, 2013, 06:28:13 PM »
No offense taken.  Mitlen as I've expressed I've got nothing but the most sincere appreciation and thanks to anyone who served this great nation, whether during war or not.  I didn't serve for numerous reasons but the least of which are lack of respect for the country.  Times are different now than during either World War.  To me, both WW were far more important and we should have been involved in both more than any other war since. 

However I don't think any song/feeling is more or less important based upon service to this country.  What about someone of age between Vietnam and the first Gulf War?  Are they SOL?

No TF but they could have "served".    Don't need a war to enlist and serve.   I guess my point is don't think because you (the common you not the personal you) know the words to GBA that you have the right to tell me how I should "behave".

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #73: October 29, 2013, 06:33:22 PM »
No TF but they could have "served".    Don't need a war to enlist and serve.   I guess my point is don't think because you know the words to GBA that you have the right to tell me how I should "behave".

I'm 100% with you on that. I never served although all through school up until HS, I wanted to go into the Army. In 1994, being fat and flatfooted took care of most of that. I come from a long line of soldiers however.

Misbehave during the Anthem, well we may have issues, soldier or not. My boy is already learning that, aside from "Incoming!!!" or "Gun!!", he doesn't have anything that important to say that can't wait until it's over. GBA, great tune, but not the same.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #74: October 29, 2013, 06:35:09 PM »

I'm 100% with you on that. I never served although all through school up until HS, I wanted to go into the Army. In 1994, being fat and flatfooted took care of most of that. I come from a long line of soldiers however.

Misbehave during the Anthem, well we may have issues, soldier or not. My boy is already learning that, aside from "Incoming!!!" or "Gun!!", he doesn't have anything that important to say that can't wait until it's over. GBA, great tune, but not the same.

The "Star Bangled Banner" is different for me as well.    I won't nail ya for not standing or removing your hat but I know what it means to me.