Author Topic: Military History  (Read 6363 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: Military History
« Reply #75: June 13, 2015, 06:01:08 PM »
Vark - I could have guessed you didn't like the Army

:shrug:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #76: June 13, 2015, 09:49:01 PM »
I'm all in on Memorial Day and Veteran's Day.    The rest of the days are game day decisions.     I like to display the flag for not so well known days  ...   like Iwo Jima invasion, start of the Leyte Gulf goin' on, September 11, Flag Day and the like  ..   sometime the the boys next door will ask, "What is today for?"    We discuss the history of the day.
Cowpens?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #77: June 14, 2015, 09:32:39 AM »
Cowpens?

Perhaps  ...   :)     Matter of fact, my 5th GGrandfather's brother participated at The Cowpens.   

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #78: June 14, 2015, 12:09:39 PM »
Cowpens?

Saratoga should get a day, Kings mountain should be redneck 4th of July

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79: June 14, 2015, 07:14:26 PM »
The Real Patriot's Day or GTFO. 

Seriously, we need an April holiday. Longest stretch of the year between holidays in Presidents' Day and Memorial Day, so mid April is a perfect time.  Lexington and Concord kicked things off.   Saratoga is maybe to close too Columbus Day and Veterans' Day.  Can't do Trenton.  I guess Yorktown is the other big victory.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #80: June 14, 2015, 07:16:10 PM »

Seriously, we need an April holiday. Longest stretch of the year between holidays in Presidents' Day and Memorial Day, so mid April is a perfect time.  Lexington and Concord kicked things off.   Saratoga is maybe to close too Columbus Day and Veterans' Day.  Can't do Trenton.  I guess Yorktown is the other big victory.

That's because you're a New Englander.    :)

'Lexington and Concord kicked things off'    Most Americans call that July 4th.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81: June 14, 2015, 07:32:06 PM »
That's because you're a New Englander.    :)

'Lexington and Concord kicked things off'    Most Americans call that July 4th.

1775 was before 1776.  You should know.  and 7/4 wasn't a battle, so it does not belong in a military history thread.

I'm surprised you don't say we should commemorate Washington's first major command at Fort Duquesne.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #82: June 14, 2015, 07:33:35 PM »
1775 was before 1776.  You should know.  and 7/4 wasn't a battle, so it does not belong in a military history thread.

I'm surprised you don't say we should commemorate Washington's first major command at Fort Duquesne.

Washington was an English citizen at the time.    :)      Lexington and Concord were a bunch of farmers trying to stop the empire.   If we're goin' there, I'm a Tea Party guy.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #83: June 14, 2015, 08:27:39 PM »
Founding of the sons of liberty  gives you another day in August

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84: June 15, 2015, 08:47:42 AM »
Founding of the sons of liberty  gives you another day in August
Founding of the Sons of Anarchy gets you an Emmy.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #85: June 15, 2015, 02:06:20 PM »
JCA - you have been working for the federal government too long

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #86: June 15, 2015, 11:28:11 PM »

They could just move Memorial Day to the last weekend in April.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Tanks, World Wars - move to Red Loft?
« Reply #87: August 30, 2016, 09:22:48 PM »
Some would argue that you weren't even on top of the heap until 1945.

JCA edit and question - Broke out the military history / tank discussion.  I'm tempted to move this to the Loft into the Military history thread.  Any objections?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Re: Anthem at Games
« Reply #88: August 30, 2016, 09:24:00 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Don't be such a mo.  We barely moved the needle in WW1.

Offline whytev

« Reply #89: August 30, 2016, 09:25:27 PM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #90: August 30, 2016, 09:27:50 PM »
Pretty late to the party on the sequel though.

We had a pretty good WWII, almost as good as the Russians.

Offline whytev

« Reply #91: August 30, 2016, 09:29:52 PM »
We had a pretty good WWII, almost as good as the Russians.

The Russians had the worst WWII out of any nation.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #92: August 30, 2016, 09:33:38 PM »
The Russians had the worst WWII out of any nation.

They suffered more, but they achieved more.  They faced by far the superior forces of the Krauts, and took a relentless beating for many months, before they gutted it out and turned the tide.  Of course the US was fighting on two fronts, with scant ally support in the Pacific.  Like WWI we were late to the party, but unlike WWI we were really all in.

Offline whytev

« Reply #93: August 30, 2016, 09:41:42 PM »
They suffered more, but they achieved more.  They faced by far the superior forces of the Krauts, and took a relentless beating for many months, before they gutted it out and turned the tide.  Of course the US was fighting on two fronts, with scant ally support in the Pacific.  Like WWI we were late to the party, but unlike WWI we were really all in.

They achieved a lot while starving their own civilians to death. Much of beating back the Germans was done by the harsh elements and the fact that the Russians could just afford a terrible attrition rate because of their massive population.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #94: August 30, 2016, 09:44:54 PM »
So the US and the Russians were/are crap and yet Danny Espinosa is somehow the crap.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #95: August 30, 2016, 09:49:33 PM »
They achieved a lot while starving their own civilians to death. Much of beating back the Germans was done by the harsh elements and the fact that the Russians could just afford a terrible attrition rate because of their massive population.

It isn't like they were awash in food.  Sure, the elements worked in their favor.  But many people would have raised the white flag, but Russia didn't, they absorbed the horrendous losses and threw their inferior armor and poorly trained and equipped troops at the Germans until the tide was turned.  They weren't brilliant, but they had fortitude. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #96: August 30, 2016, 10:47:24 PM »
Don't be such a mo.  We barely moved the needle in WW1.
freaking kicked ass and took names.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #97: August 31, 2016, 07:27:24 AM »
One decent sac bunt
freaking kicked ass and took names.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #98: August 31, 2016, 07:32:32 AM »
It isn't like they were awash in food.  Sure, the elements worked in their favor.  But many people would have raised the white flag, but Russia didn't, they absorbed the horrendous losses and threw their inferior armor and poorly trained and equipped troops at the Germans until the tide was turned.  They weren't brilliant, but they had fortitude. 
Weren't they shot on the spot if they tried to desert or displayed cowardice? Pretty good motivator if you asked me.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #99: August 31, 2016, 08:25:05 AM »

One of the what ifs is what if the western front had the same size armor formations as the eastern- the allies broke into the European plain again a German army that was a fraction of the size of what they were sending into Stalingrad or Kursk - let alone what they had deployed on that front.