Author Topic: Sign Cano  (Read 21339 times)

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Re: Sign Cano
« Reply #75: October 07, 2013, 11:02:24 AM »
For those who are saying no, why?  Is it the money you think that makes him not worth it?  Do you think the offense is just fine without him?  Is their a better player you would rather spend the money on?  Do you think this money hamstrings the team budget and it will hold out on extending players like Stras and Harper?

Seriously, I am of the thinking that this is the team with the richest owners in baseball, and the team technically has two third baseman, a painfully average 1B and no actual 2B with no true replacement in sight in the minors.

I see the things about Cano saying that he wants a certain amount, but given the general vibes outside of Detroit and LA, teams aren't forking over the crazy long deals anymore.  7-8 years is probably where he ends up, and I think even at 30 Million a year, it won't honestly hamstring the Nats as much as people think.  I can see them pushing a payroll close to the luxury tax ceiling though.  Plus I really think old man Lerner wants to win, hence why Rafael Soriano was signed.
Not even the Yankees and Red Sox sign everyone. Hell, the Yankees are letting him go! I've used our ownership's resources and the wealth of the DC area as much if not more than anyone as a reason to be positive, but resources are at some point finite however much some posters like to talk about "no salary cap". The new CBA has significant salary cap penalties. Not sure what they are, but enough to spook the Yankees into taking a step back for a while. I think the Dodgers are on a high right now financially but I think soon enough you'll see them get a bit nervous at their financial obligations.

We made our splash with Werth. Zimmerman also a huge contract. I would rather use Cano's resources on a 1B and then shoring up other areas. Dropping $20+ million a year for a 2B who hit .314/.383/.516 with 27 homers is just too much. Cano is a stud but his price is going to be stupid high. Put that money towards pitching and first base.

And before everyone starts marching out A-Rod, Pujols, Hamilton comparisons, there are lots of high paid players who are studs. We need to focus on a Cardinals model. Develop from within, put focus on pitching and defense, and then use resources to keep key players (Molina) while passing on more expensive battles(Pujols).

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #76: October 07, 2013, 11:06:02 AM »
Dude, you have overused the GIF.

Not possible. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #77: October 07, 2013, 11:19:29 AM »
if we can get Cano for something like 4 years, I'd go for it.  He instantly turns us into one of the best offenses in baseball, and maybe the best in the majors.  He's a massive improvement over Rendon.

But, I wouldn't want to get locked into a 7-10 year deal.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #78: October 07, 2013, 11:26:46 AM »
Dude, you have overused the GIF.
No he hasn't. It slays me every time

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #79: October 07, 2013, 11:45:24 AM »
 I guess I'm outnumbered, lol. :lol:

I think a 7 year, 210 Million deal for Cano is worth it though.  It would probably put the team up near the top of the luxury tax ceiling likely when Strasburg needs to be extended, but I still think this team could exist, and be profitable, at the 180 Million dollar level.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #80: October 07, 2013, 12:27:40 PM »
I think a 7 year, 210 Million deal for Cano is worth it though.

Not for this team...IMHO, of course...

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #81: October 07, 2013, 12:50:33 PM »
I would like to see them get Cano. No way he gets what he is asking for unless the Yankees decide to be stupid. He is certainly worth as much or more than they gave to Werth or RZ. But you don't go Arod  money. He isn't worth it. They still need a big bat in the offense and he would fit the right profile. But they may need to trade to fill that need more economically.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #82: October 07, 2013, 12:54:38 PM »
Cano is a stud, but he is asking for ridiculous money. You could sign a legit first baseman and a top #2/3 pitcher for 200+ million over 7 years.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #83: October 07, 2013, 01:10:53 PM »
I see Cano getting paid over multiple years. I'm thinking like 5+. Not sure what the exact amount would be, though.

Offline blue911

« Reply #84: October 07, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
Cano's Old Man stats look too much like Vernon Wells for my liking

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #85: October 07, 2013, 05:29:46 PM »
I was on this Cano train midseason, but I'm off now.  Mainly, I'm off b/c I now think Zim can still handle 3B.  He really improved defensively at the end of the year, and his shoulder should be 100% healthy next year.  I know common wisdom is his problems were mental, and I think they were, but his shoulder was still recovering and could have been contributing to the problem.

Signing Cano is such a huge risk, and I don't think we want to add risks.  If we sign him, that adds to the list of players with huge contracts we can't get rid of if something goes wrong (currently only Zim+Werth, but soon to be Desmond and possibly Zimnn).  I think the Nats should try to keep that list as short as possible.

I say sign Morse to a one year deal (shocker!).  He has the best upside potential by far of any free agent bat at 1B (please don't say Morales, he is horrible).  Let Morse, Moore and LaRoche compete for the job heh. 

Offline Hogie

« Reply #86: October 07, 2013, 06:26:36 PM »
Why are some of you so eager to spend all of our Trout money?

Online Slateman

« Reply #87: October 07, 2013, 08:50:52 PM »

:lol: I like it. Dont spend our Trout and Puig money

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #88: October 07, 2013, 10:51:40 PM »
:lol: I like it. Dont spend our Trout and Puig money

The same crowd who don't want Cano won't want those guys either, better to be lovable losers.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #89: October 07, 2013, 11:22:17 PM »
The same crowd who don't want Cano won't want those guys either, better to be lovable losers.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #90: October 07, 2013, 11:38:31 PM »

emulate the rays- first round exits on the cheap

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #91: October 08, 2013, 03:07:20 PM »

I completely agree. Just look at the Angels, they spent the big bucks on expensive and risky contracts and they aren't losers at all.

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
« Reply #92: October 08, 2013, 04:05:06 PM »

Online Slateman

« Reply #94: October 08, 2013, 06:40:55 PM »
lol, it seems the Yankees have learned their lesson

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #95: October 09, 2013, 09:10:45 AM »
Because spending money on inflated contracts automatically equals more wins! Not.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #96: October 11, 2013, 09:07:20 AM »
If you're in the top five in payroll there is a 60% chance you're still playing, if you are outside the top ten there is a 0% chance. Probably just random chance.

But, but, but PowerBoater69, what if it all goes badly? What if we're in the top five and end up in the 40%? Better to play it safe.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #97: October 11, 2013, 09:18:17 AM »
I wonder if all those stories about how payroll doesn't matter- just look at the playoffs will get updates/followups?

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #98: October 11, 2013, 09:27:42 AM »
If you're in the top five in payroll there is a 60% chance you're still playing, if you are outside the top ten there is a 0% chance. Probably just random chance.

But, but, but PowerBoater69, what if it all goes badly? What if we're in the top five and end up in the 40%? Better to play it safe.

Cardinals are 11th in payroll.

And I've got nothing against being a high payroll team but there's a difference between being the Angels and being the Tigers/Red Sox/etc.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #99: October 11, 2013, 09:59:28 AM »
Cardinals are 11th in payroll.

And I've got nothing against being a high payroll team but there's a difference between being the Angels and being the Tigers/Red Sox/etc.

I Google'd them up at 10.

The Angels are an example of everything going badly, that is the risk of having a higher payroll, but if you avoid that risk you cripple your chances of making it past the NLDS.