Author Topic: Break Up with Syracuse  (Read 2908 times)

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Break Up with Syracuse
« Topic Start: October 01, 2013, 02:38:45 PM »
Since the Nats are a relatively new franchise - apologies to the Expos fans here - the Nats don't have long relationships with many of their minor league affiliates. Harrisburg is the exception.

Both Syracuse and Charlotte have affiliation agreements that expire after 2014 season.

Charlotte has a brand new stadium in "Uptown" Charlotte.

North Carolina is Nationals/Orioles territory. The Nats AAA should move to Charlotte.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Break Up with Syracuse
« Reply #1: October 01, 2013, 02:40:35 PM »
Better than Syracuse, but it really needs to be in Richmond. :)

Since the Nats are a relatively new franchise - apologies to the Expos fans here - the Nats don't have long relationships with many of their minor league affiliates. Harrisburg is the exception.

Both Syracuse and Charlotte have affiliation agreements that expire after 2014 season.

North Carolina is Nationals/Orioles territory. The Nats AAA should move to Charlotte.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: October 01, 2013, 02:42:29 PM »
Houston is looking to move it's aaa team to the houston area. Why not push for AAA in Richmond. I know the arguments that AAA isn't set up in a way to allow that, but the astros seem to be doing it.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #3: October 01, 2013, 02:42:54 PM »
I'll take Syracuse any day over our original affiliate, New Orleans. I remember they said travel time when guys got called up or sent down used to kill them.

Offline blue911

« Reply #4: October 01, 2013, 02:47:17 PM »

There's a lot of turmoil in Syracuse as well. Charlotte would be a nice fit.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #5: October 01, 2013, 02:48:54 PM »
Better than Syracuse, but it really needs to be in Richmond. :)
Why isn't it in Richmond, again?

Offline blue911

« Reply #6: October 01, 2013, 02:51:57 PM »

It isn't a AAA team.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #7: October 01, 2013, 02:53:39 PM »
It isn't a AAA team.

There's also a stadium issue in the city.   To build or not build a new stadium.    I could see us there if the city says yes to new digs.   I'm sure the city fathers would lose the Squirrels as a AA affiliate for the Giants (if contractually possible) for a Nats' AAA affiliation.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #8: October 01, 2013, 02:54:30 PM »
It isn't a AAA team.

neither is houston, that isn't stopping the astros

The Astros are eyeing part of a 2,000-acre piece of property north of the The Woodlands, Texas -- about 41 miles north of downtown Houston -- that was recently purchased by Johnson Development. Crane said that deal is set to close at the end the month.

"As soon as they get closed, we hope to sit down and try to bang out a deal where we would have some property to build a facility there and eventually put a Triple-A team in there," Crane said. "It could take some time. The earliest is '16, maybe '17.

"It's going to take a while to get all the permits and everything in place. We're certainly interested in doing it. We think it makes long-term sense for the team to have the Triple-A affiliate reasonably close and in a vibrant area that's really growing."

The Astros, who have a player development contract with Triple-A Oklahoma City through 2014, would have to purchase a Triple-A club and move it into that area once a Houston-area facility is ready.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article/hou/astros-nearing-spring-training-move-from-kissimmee?ymd=20130930&content_id=62246726&vkey=news_hou

Offline houston-nat

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #10: October 01, 2013, 05:41:16 PM »
Not to mention hurricanes...
I'll take Syracuse any day over our original affiliate, New Orleans. I remember they said travel time when guys got called up or sent down used to kill them.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #11: October 01, 2013, 05:42:24 PM »
I almost interviewed for a job there, before I realised that I'd probably commit seppuku the first morning I woke up and figured out what I had done.

That's a smart move, The Woodlands is a booming area.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #12: October 01, 2013, 05:49:55 PM »
I almost interviewed for a job there, before I realised that I'd probably commit seppuku the first morning I woke up and figured out what I had done.

Oh I would never want to live in The Woodlands. Suburban sprawl capital of the universe. Except maybe Phoenix.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #13: October 01, 2013, 06:16:55 PM »
The Atlanta Brave bought the AAA franchise that was in Richmond, and moved it.

That left Richmond as a Minor League market without a team. A team from CT moved into the Richmond territory and thus, Rixhmond is now a AA market.

All of that movement, relocation, and franchise purchasing is governed by Minor League Baseball. Teams just cannot bop around and cities don't get to change what they are.

For Richmond to become a AAA city again, someone needs to buy a AAA team that doesn't have a long term stadium lease, then they would need to find a way to get the AA team out of there.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #14: October 01, 2013, 11:09:08 PM »
Somehow, it needs to be done. Syracuse is out of the Nats brpoadcast area; Richmand right inside. Last Harrisbnurg game I saw there were many people wearing curly-W grear. Seat neighbor said that the H'burg media was beginning, more and more, to cover Washington sport teams. It helps that the Hersey Bear are well run and successful abd nearby. Htakes tghe family to several Nats games a year.

Maybe the Lertners could peal off an extra $200 million from their pocket change and pay for builduiling the Richmond statium.

And while I am spending imaginary Kerner money, they out to improve the Nayh Yard stop: more exits, more elevators, more trains at game close time. More uniformed police.

That's what the Yankees and Mets do, and it works.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #15: October 02, 2013, 07:40:13 AM »
Somehow, it needs to be done. Syracuse is out of the Nats brpoadcast area; Richmand right inside. Last Harrisbnurg game I saw there were many people wearing curly-W grear. Seat neighbor said that the H'burg media was beginning, more and more, to cover Washington sport teams. It helps that the Hersey Bear are well run and successful abd nearby. Htakes tghe family to several Nats games a year.

Maybe the Lertners could peal off an extra $200 million from their pocket change and pay for builduiling the Richmond statium.

And while I am spending imaginary Kerner money, they out to improve the Nayh Yard stop: more exits, more elevators, more trains at game close time. More uniformed police.

That's what the Yankees and Mets do, and it works.

:glug:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #16: October 02, 2013, 09:16:08 AM »
Imaginary Lerner money is right.  They wont even put down a deposit for Metro to stay open past 12am for playoffs and rain delays.  They contributed squat to the Pnats new stadium.  I really doubt thd state would contribute anything either.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #17: October 21, 2013, 09:27:54 PM »
Oh I would never want to live in The Woodlands. Suburban sprawl capital of the universe. Except maybe Phoenix.

Hot white chick in spades though. That's all I really need to survive.

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #18: December 17, 2013, 04:21:08 PM »
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/17/the-nats-re-up-with-syracuse-as-their-triple-a-affiliate-for-four-more-years/

"Anyway, Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that the Nats have ceased to be a serial Triple-A city team. They’re staying put in Syracuse for four more years."

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #19: December 17, 2013, 04:49:31 PM »
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/17/the-nats-re-up-with-syracuse-as-their-triple-a-affiliate-for-four-more-years/

"Anyway, Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that the Nats have ceased to be a serial Triple-A city team. They’re staying put in Syracuse for four more years."

Should have waited to see if Richmond could have came through with the new stadium and moved the AAA here.

You'd think they'd realize a great way to build the regional fan base is to put the minor league teams in the area. Superstation was huge in building the Braves following in Richmond... but having the Richmond Braves here was an even bigger reason.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #20: December 17, 2013, 04:52:28 PM »
Should have waited to see if Richmond could have came through with the new stadium and moved the AAA here.

You'd think they'd realize a great way to build the regional fan base is to put the minor league teams in the area. Superstation was huge in building the Braves following in Richmond... but having the Richmond Braves here was an even bigger reason.

I think with the 'skins camp there, Richmond was sittin' ripe to be picked as a Nats' AAA affiliate (minus the stadium drama, etc.).

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #21: December 18, 2013, 06:59:24 AM »

Waited for what? Richmonds stadium situation is dead. There isn't anything going on in the news now.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #22: December 18, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »
Waited for what? Richmonds stadium situation is dead. There isn't anything going on in the news now.

I haven't been back in a while... but as of two weeks ago weren't they still talking about it?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #23: December 18, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »
I haven't been back in a while... but as of two weeks ago weren't they still talking about it?

Times Dispatch a few days ago  ..   "Richmond Mayor Dwight C. Jones and city officials are pressing for the creation of the slavery heritage site as part of a rehab project anchored by a new baseball stadium in Shockoe Bottom, in an area that encompassed one of the largest slave markets in the antebellum South."

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #24: December 18, 2013, 12:58:08 PM »
Times Dispatch a few days ago  ..   "Richmond Mayor Dwight C. Jones and city officials are pressing for the creation of the slavery heritage site as part of a rehab project anchored by a new baseball stadium in Shockoe Bottom, in an area that encompassed one of the largest slave markets in the antebellum South."

Yeah that's what I meant. To me, that means they're still pushing for a new one.