Author Topic: Podcasts  (Read 4306 times)

Offline houston-nat

Podcasts
« Topic Start: September 26, 2013, 12:33:44 PM »
Anybody listen to podcasts?

I listen to a few regularly

• The Bugle. John Oliver from the Daily Show and a fellow Brit friend, Andy Zaltzman, make fun of the news and come up with horrible, horrible puns. It's like a slightly wittier, more British audio version of the Daily Show.
  • Comedy Bang Bang. Anarchic improv comedy show where various amusing guests (Amy Poehler, Andy Samberg, Zach Galifianakis, Maria Bamford, Jessica St. Clair, but most of all the unstoppable Paul F. Tompkins) either play themselves or invent whackjob characters like a horny cowboy poet, a food critic who only eats nasty food, or a crazy Mexican radio DJ. There was a great one recently where Simon Pegg and Nick Frost impersonated Michael Caine and Sean Connery.
  • FanGraphs Audio. Baseball podcast that's either highlighted or lowlighted by Carson Cistulli's insanely awkward hosting skills. Hearing him interact with players can be kinda hilarious, but he always picks smart, engaging players who make for great conversation. Zach Walters was on recently. Every once in a while there's an episode with CBS sportswriter Dayn Perry where they just insult each other constantly.
I tried listening to the Alton Browncast, where he talks about food news and has guests, but didn't get into it. Ditto Things You Missed in History Class, which had pretty uncharismatic hosts who just read off scripts.

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Podcasts
« Reply #1: September 26, 2013, 12:40:48 PM »
I listen to a bunch of history podcasts, and a couple from NPR. I've started listening to iTunes U lately. For sports I'm down to just bill simmons, but I think the pob culture stuff has me listening less and less

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #2: September 26, 2013, 12:47:08 PM »
Podcasts seem to suck down my monthly allowance big time.

But I listen to NPR's Radiolab, TED Talks Radio Hour, Science Friday (which used to be part of ToTN, but is now a PRI program) sometimes. Also, Citizen's of Natstown.

And the Mike O'Meara show.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #3: September 26, 2013, 12:57:41 PM »
I listen to a bunch of history podcasts
Any top recs? I heard Hardcore History is fun.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: September 26, 2013, 01:02:06 PM »
Any top recs? I heard Hardcore History is fun.

hardcore history, rome (the podcast is over now, but I think it's still online- it's 178 episodes so it takes a while, the guy who did it, Mike Duncan, has a new one, revolutions), history of England is ok, so is the history of Byzantium is also ok- I listen to it mostly because it's a continuation of the history of rome. I just starting listening to the history of the italian unification, which seems promising. I tend to look for topics I don't know much about, hence the eclectic nature. I think History Rome remains far and away the gold standard for history podcasts with hardcore history being more along the line of a philosophical look at history

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #5: September 26, 2013, 02:52:01 PM »
I like StarTalk Radio the few times I've listened to it.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #6: September 26, 2013, 03:23:10 PM »
I like StarTalk Radio the few times I've listened to it.

Is that about astronomical bodies, or about Star Trek?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #7: September 26, 2013, 03:25:23 PM »
Is that about astronomical bodies, or about Star Trek?

StarTalk, from Curved Light Productions, is the first and only popular commercial radio program devoted to all things space and is hosted by renowned astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson.

http://www.startalkradio.net/

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #8: September 26, 2013, 03:29:09 PM »

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #9: September 26, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
I'm not sure if he has "podcasts" in the truest sense of the word, but you can listen to snippets of his radio show on "Stand Up! with Pete Dominick."  He does seem to get the best experts in the field of whatever public policy topic he's discussing. 

I love his radio show.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #10: September 26, 2013, 04:12:03 PM »
Oh, cool. Just subscribed to it.

But speaking of Star Trek, Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher on TNG) is a guest in a live thing they did.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #11: September 26, 2013, 06:09:48 PM »
Mike O'Mera as mentioned above.  Otherwise, I listen to a scout leaders podcast, ESPN fantasy podcasts, and TED.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #12: September 26, 2013, 08:45:56 PM »
Just started listening to EconTalk- the most recent talks about Gladwell applied to sports

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #13: September 27, 2013, 07:22:21 AM »
Podcasts seem to suck down my monthly allowance big time.

But I listen to NPR's Radiolab, TED Talks Radio Hour, Science Friday (which used to be part of ToTN, but is now a PRI program) sometimes. Also, Citizen's of Natstown.

And the Mike O'Meara show.

How's Mike O'Meara's show? Does Geronimo do a show anywhere?

I listen to the Effectively Wild Daily Podcast most days. It's Sam Miller and Ben Lindbergh from BP.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #14: September 27, 2013, 08:56:14 AM »
I tried Mike O'Meara, it's nice for nostalgia, and it is entertaining, but it's too much everyday to keep up with

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #15: September 27, 2013, 05:34:08 PM »
I tried Mike O'Meara, it's nice for nostalgia, and it is entertaining, but it's too much everyday to keep up with

Agreed. I listen maybe once a week.

Offline imref

« Reply #16: October 01, 2013, 08:27:01 AM »
thanks for the star talk recommendation, I listened to the buzz aldrin episode in flight yesterday.

Offline Manly

• UK, ok!
    • UKMLB
« Reply #17: October 01, 2013, 10:34:59 PM »
Am I allowed to self-plug here?

It's a soccer (mainly) based show.

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #18: October 01, 2013, 11:10:56 PM »
Am I allowed to self-plug here?

It's a soccer (mainly) based show.

Go for it!

Offline Manly

• UK, ok!
    • UKMLB
« Reply #19: October 08, 2013, 08:02:14 PM »
So our show restarted yesterday, and it wasn't the best show by any stretch of the imagination as we have a new producer on board, who's in charge of sliders and music and beds and whatnot. It'll get better, I promise. You can also find the show on iTunes (I think) should you be so inclined!

The Two Minute Drill that I do...yeah I'll cut that down and make it better (and not get the Chiefs' coach wrong. Sakes).

http://sportshour.podomatic.com/

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #20: October 08, 2013, 08:10:02 PM »
So our show restarted yesterday, and it wasn't the best show by any stretch of the imagination as we have a new producer on board, who's in charge of sliders and music and beds and whatnot. It'll get better, I promise. You can also find the show on iTunes (I think) should you be so inclined!

The Two Minute Drill that I do...yeah I'll cut that down and make it better (and not get the Chiefs' coach wrong. Sakes).

Hey, a referee threw a flag on the chiefs and announced it against the Eagles (assuming it was an Andy Reid thing) so no worries.  Good Luck!

:rofl: @ "it is not easy to put a rubber on is it"

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #21: October 08, 2013, 09:23:26 PM »

Jesus. I almost have to slow it down to understand it. Two nations separated by a common language. :)

Good work, Manly. Which one are you?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #22: October 08, 2013, 09:36:02 PM »
I'm going to guess Ben.

Offline Manly

• UK, ok!
    • UKMLB
« Reply #23: October 09, 2013, 09:53:30 AM »
Yessir I am Ben!

Offline imref

« Reply #24: October 24, 2013, 11:12:34 PM »
Star Talk with Dan Akroyd was awesome, thanks again for this recommendation.