Author Topic: Australian Football League (AFL) Scandal  (Read 556 times)

Offline brec7

• Twitter
Australian Football League (AFL) Scandal
« Topic Start: August 27, 2013, 07:13:00 AM »
I'm unsure if anyone here follows Aussie footy (if not, you should because it's an awesome sport  :D) but I thought that this was a crazy sports story.   Essendon kicked out of the league's playoffs for doping.  Can anyone recall seeing this type of scandal in a major sports league in the modern era?   Could this happen to a major North American league?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/supplements-saga-james-hirds-dramatic-retreat-20130827-2so59.html

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Australian Football League (AFL) Scandal
« Reply #1: August 27, 2013, 07:39:48 AM »
I dunno mate. Quite the right rocker we've got ourselves in

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #2: August 27, 2013, 09:07:43 AM »
I tell you it is dominating the media over here, it's damn frustrating to hear everyday.

I despise Essendon, but the league has failed to prove them guilty of anything but negligence - the sanctions are very harsh

Offline brec7

• Twitter
« Reply #3: August 27, 2013, 05:45:11 PM »
Essendon was trending worldwide this morning and that's how I ended up finding out about it, so it's definitely news (and any time I check Australia trends it's being discussed.)   Do you think public pressure had anything to do with it?  I can't imagine the optics of Essendon winning the flag would have been very good for the league.  Also, didn't the Bombers give themselves up to the AFL?  I haven't been able to read up too much into this because I haven't seen this weekend's games (tough with the time difference) so I didn't want those to be spoiled.  Too bad my Eagles got smoked last week and missed a chance to really get back into this now that 9th will make the finals.

Also, how does someone from Australia become a Nats fan? :)

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #4: August 28, 2013, 05:38:10 AM »
Essendon was trending worldwide this morning and that's how I ended up finding out about it, so it's definitely news (and any time I check Australia trends it's being discussed.)   Do you think public pressure had anything to do with it?  I can't imagine the optics of Essendon winning the flag would have been very good for the league.  Also, didn't the Bombers give themselves up to the AFL?  I haven't been able to read up too much into this because I haven't seen this weekend's games (tough with the time difference) so I didn't want those to be spoiled.  Too bad my Eagles got smoked last week and missed a chance to really get back into this now that 9th will make the finals.

Also, how does someone from Australia become a Nats fan? :)

They informed the league of what they did, the whole saga has dominated the media, and frankly i am sick of it - stopped caring months ago.

I am a huge nats fan, the guys here have been very kind to me over the years and unfortunately i can't post as much as i once was in gameday threads and the like.

I got into baseball around 4-5 years ago maybe a little longer now, mainly because i wanted a sport to be on at work - the nats were my chosen team purely because they sucked and i wanted to watch them rise - so here i am