Author Topic: Thoughts on Braun getting a second half suspension.  (Read 3647 times)

Offline Korzagg

I would be shocked if he served one game of this suspension. The Union will try and drag this thing out as long as they can.

Offline sportsfan882

No, he took a deal and is not appealing so he only gets suspended for the rest of this season which is pointless.

Offline Korzagg

No, he took a deal and is not appealing so he only gets suspended for the rest of this season which is pointless.

Yes I see that after I made the topic. Brings up another issue. Him taking a deal is almost as good as him saying I did it. Does this hurt any other player trying to avoid the up coming suspensions

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
from everything i've heard/read the Union has no interest in protecting cheaters.  The mood among players has changed, they want the cheaters slammed to the wall.

Offline hammondsnats

what a scumbag.  absolute scum.  got away with murder pretty much (he's hurt, they suck, makes more money next year).

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
But isn't a first time offender supposed to get 50 games?   I loathe Ryan Braun for many reasons, most due to steroid usage but I think 65 games is fair according to the letter of the law agreed to by both parties. 

Offline houston-nat

But isn't a first time offender supposed to get 50 games?   I loathe Ryan Braun for many reasons, most due to steroid usage but I think 65 games is fair according to the letter of the law agreed to by both parties. 
They are invoking a clause that says that Bud Selig can decide on the length of the suspension for any player who does, I forget the phrase, but "conduct harmful to baseball and the image of baseball."

And yeah, Braun got off easy - misses a lost season that doesn't matter, the only big forfeiture is the $3 million.

Offline TigerFan

I guess someone would need to explain what the difference is between Braun juicing and someone else that only has to miss 50 games for their first offense. 

Again I in no way am sympathetic towards RB or anyone else caught juicing but why have two sets of rules?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I guess someone would need to explain what the difference is between Braun juicing and someone else that only has to miss 50 games for their first offense. 

Again I in no way am sympathetic towards RB or anyone else caught juicing but why have two sets of rules?

He threw everyone in the process under the bus.    Maybe the rules say 50  ....  where I live, he's a dirtbag and that's worse than any suspension.

Offline houston-nat

TigerFan, the difference is Braun's dishonesty about it and especially his grandstanding about being a victim during the original suspension case. I think Selig originally planned 50 games for PEDs and 50 for the baseball version of perjury.

BTW the guy who collected Braun's pee in a cup may now feel free to sue him for defamation.

Offline imref

He threw everyone in the process under the bus.    Maybe the rules say 50  ....  where I live, he's a dirtbag and that's worse than any suspension.

they were counting this as two violations - taking banned substances and lying about it.

Offline TigerFan

Mitlen I agree he is the scum of MLB.  No way to argue that.

Houston-Nat I already said the same about suing the collector as well so we agree there. 

Thanks imref that's the most logical response but isn't a second violation supposed to be 100 games? 

Offline Korzagg

I think it should have been 100 games at a minimum. He got caught once and got off on a technicality. I just really wonder what this is going to bring for the others that have yet to be suspended will we see more "deals" in the coming weeks / days, will MLB be harder on others that refuse to just accept whatever suspension is given them?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
TigerFan, the difference is Braun's dishonesty about it and especially his grandstanding about being a victim during the original suspension case. I think Selig originally planned 50 games for PEDs and 50 for the baseball version of perjury.

BTW the guy who collected Braun's pee in a cup may now feel free to sue him for defamation.
I agree that Braun was juicing the first time when he escaped on a technicality, but the sample handler lost his job because he didn't handle the sample properly - not in accordance with the processes and procedures negotiated and agreed upon by MLB and MLBPA.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
looks like Braun took a page out of Rafael Palmeiro's self-righteous book.

Offline imref

we should trade for Braun.  Buy low.

Offline TigerFan

Palmeiro didn't throw everyone under the bus.   He's more like Armstrong.
[/quote

Excellent comparison Mitlen.  Armstrong was and is an amazing dickweed for all the crap he causes to so many people for such an extended period of time.   

Offline imref

ESPN says when Braun was interviewed by MLB he realized the evidence they had amassed, he then called MLB to strike a deal.

Offline Korzagg

ESPN says when Braun was interviewed by MLB he realized the evidence they had amassed, he then called MLB to strike a deal.

I would hope after all the suspensions are handed out, all this evidence becomes public. Seems like the risk of suspensions doesn't stop these guys from using, maybe public embarrassment will.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
we should trade for Braun.  Buy low.

Yes please.

Online Natsinpwc

He's obviously talented, but if he goes clean will he be the same hitter?

Offline imref

He's obviously talented, but if he goes clean will he be the same hitter?

i'd give up Span plus some minor leaguers to find out. :)

Offline Ray D

One of the Mikes this morning (or one of their guests, I forget) said that Braun, without steroids, is probably a .280 / 14 homerun hitter.  Keep that in mind when coming up with a trade.  I wouldn't trade Span for him.

Offline HalfSmokes

One of the Mikes this morning (or one of their guests, I forget) said that Braun, without steroids, is probably a .280 / 14 homerun hitter.  Keep that in mind when coming up with a trade.  I wouldn't trade Span for him.

keep in mind that someone who probably knows less about baseball than anyone on this forum said that? Who knows when Braun started juicing, but he went fifth in what may go down as the best draft ever- there was always talent there (unless he was juicing all through school, and looking alma mater that's actually a strong possibility)