Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Bryan Harper, P  (Read 13737 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Follow the Prospects: Bryan Harper, P
« Topic Start: July 16, 2013, 01:21:09 PM »

Born: 12/29/1989
Birthplace: Las Vegas, NV
College: South Carolina Columbia
Height: 6' 5"
Weight: 205
Bats: L
Throws: L

Selected in the 30th round of the 2011 draft by the Washington Nationals.

His brother is pretty good.

http://2011nationalsdraft.blogspot.com/2011/07/round-30-bryan-harper-lhp-university-of.html

"Drafted three times (WAS in '08, CHC in '10), the elder Harper brother finally signed at the deadline and put in two scoreless appearances for the G-Nats in '11. Features a FB/CV/CU arsenal (low-90s FB) but has struggled with his control at all three collegiate stops (Cal State Northridge, College of Southern Nevada and University of South Carolina) with a combined BB/9 of 5.26 over 118IP innings, pro and college combined." - Luke Erickson, Nationals Prospects (@nats_prospects)

"One reason Bryce Harper decided to graduate early and attend CC of Southern Nevada was to play along side his older brother, sophomore Bryan Harper. Bryan's prospect status was not in the same realm as Bryce's, but he did offer intriguing size and a couple of average pitches from the left side. Ultimately, he decided to fulfill his commitment to South Carolina rather than signing in 2010 as a 27th round pick by the Chicago Cubs. He was used as a middle reliever for the Game****s, and struggled mightily with his control. His presence on the mound seemed suited for relief work, and that will likely be where he's kept in pro ball. Controlling his stuff will be the key to becoming more than org guy." - Jeff Reese, Bullpen Banter (@ioffridus)

"Long been known in baseball circles as Bryce’s big brother, Bryan has talent in his own right, pitching two successful seasons at the CC of Southern Nevada as a teammate with Bryce. Rather than entering professional baseball as expected in 2010 like his brother, Bryan attended the University of South Carolina in 2011, with rather underwhelming results, allowing him to slip to the 30th round. However, prior to South Carolina, Bryan showed an 88-91mph fastball with some movement and a fringy breaking pitch, making his ceiling a potential LOOGY or middle reliever."  - Ryan Sullivan, NatsGM (@natsgmdotcom)

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
His 'stache looked great last night at the HR Derby in the few shots that they showed of him.

Offline imref

His 'stache looked great last night at the HR Derby in the few shots that they showed of him.

imagine if we still had bally.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I think he needs a beard to be a relief pitcher.

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
Is it me or does the dude just look old?

Offline welch

Is it me or does the dude just look old?

I think he is older...have to check, but I think he finished college. Little Brother skipped a grade, went to junior college to play baseball and be drafted. Bryce is young.

To repeat: he needs a beard to look fierce.

Just checked: Brian is 23: born December 29, 1989 in Las Vegas, Nevada, US (Age 23).

Offline imref

Made it to Potomac, working out the pen.  So far 3 IP, 1 hit, nothing else (over 2 games).

In 45.1 at Hagerstown he posted a 3.97 ERA 1.412 WHIP, 8.5 K/9 and a 6.4 BB/9

I'm not sure he gets much higher than this.

Offline HalfSmokes

Made it to Potomac, working out the pen.  So far 3 IP, 1 hit, nothing else (over 2 games).

In 45.1 at Hagerstown he posted a 3.97 ERA 1.412 WHIP, 8.5 K/9 and a 6.4 BB/9

I'm not sure he gets much higher than this.

24 in Potomac doesn't bode well, but was he ever expected to make it far- signing him seems more like giving Harper's brother a shot/getting organizational filler than actually thinking he'll ever make it

Offline welch

I take that back. Doesn't need a LaRoche-style beard. Bryan Harper has a major league mustache. Did Rollie Fingers have a great mustache? It's been long time...have to look him up.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Yes Rollie Fingers Did.  I'm not great at posting pictures though.

http://www.rfingers34.com/

Offline Bloo

Mattheus wasn't called up til he was 28 so there's still time if he stays patient.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Did Rollie Fingers have a great mustache?

Major League...

Offline imref

The elder Harper is having a nice little season at Potomac - 1.62 ERA in 16.2 IP, 15Ks, 3BB, 1.02 WHIP

I suspect he'll be heading to Harrisburg before long if he keeps this up.

New picture:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
The elder Harper is having a nice little season at Potomac - 1.62 ERA in 16.2 IP, 15Ks, 3BB, 1.02 WHIP

I suspect he'll be heading to Harrisburg before long if he keeps this up.

Bryce Harper‏@Bharper3407
Congrats to my brother @BryanHarper45 on is promotion to AA @HbgSenators! So excited and ready for him to carve some more! #Lefty #hardwork

Offline imref

we got his autograph on Saturday!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Does his stache count as a 2d passenger in the HOV-2 lanes?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Does his stache count as a 2d passenger in the HOV-2 lanes?

Damn near as epic as Stach-o-bally was.

Offline imref

he's a pretty imposing guy in person, looks more like a NFL TE than a pitcher, 6'5" and stocky.

Offline Clever

This year at Harrisburg: 15 G, 18.1 IP, 1.96 ERA. Still has command issues, nine walks against fifteen strikeouts.

Offline imref

Bryan Harper is having a nice little season in Harrisburg, two more scoreless innings tonight to lower his ERA to 1.23.  In his last 10 appearances he's thrown 13.2 innings with 9 hits allowed, 4Ks, no walks, and no earned runs.

I'd be surprised if they'd burn a 40-man roster slot for him, but you never know.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Bryan Harper is having a nice little season in Harrisburg, two more scoreless innings tonight to lower his ERA to 1.23.  In his last 10 appearances he's thrown 13.2 innings with 9 hits allowed, 4Ks, no walks, and no earned runs.

I'd be surprised if they'd burn a 40-man roster slot for him, but you never know.

I'd like to see what is making him so effective as he doesn't have a real high K rate, nor a good walk rate.

Offline welch

I'd like to see what is making him so effective as he doesn't have a real high K rate, nor a good walk rate.

Hey, I was about to ask the same thing!

ERA of 1.19, which is not shabby. WHIP of about 1.0 something. He's walked 11 and struck out 19. Odd. Maybe his pitches drop so sharply that nobody gets good wood on the ball? Maybe some patient hitters can draw a walk but either AA hitters are not patient or he gets enough pitches in the strike-zone that they must swing...and hit grounders?

Promote him to Syracuse and see what he does with older hitters.

Offline Clever

He's also 6'5. Could be the Fister effect.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Maybe. I mean, he's a lefty, so simply breathing and being able to throw a strike gets you to Double A. Would be pretty cool if he could be called up and play on the same club as his younger brother.

BTW, he is the oldest looking 25 year old I've ever seen.

Offline houston-nat

BTW, he is the oldest looking 25 year old I've ever seen.
Older-looking than Jordan Zimmermann was?