Poll

Where does Zach Walters play in 2014?

Makes thes MLB club as the utility infielder.
5 (21.7%)
Sent to AAA and plays SHORTSTOP everyday
8 (34.8%)
Sent to AAA and plays SECOND everyday
8 (34.8%)
Sent to AAA and plays THIRD everyday
2 (8.7%)
Traded
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Zach "Salty" Walters (UT)  (Read 11750 times)

Offline I can Throw

Re: Follow the Prospects: Zach Walters (UT)
« Reply #25: August 11, 2013, 09:57:50 PM »
From Twitter:

"I hate hipsters. With their long hair, vegan diet, and saw dust beds. Wait. Hamsters... I hate hamsters."

:lmao:

That is hilarious!

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #26: August 11, 2013, 10:09:19 PM »
From Twitter:

"I hate hipsters. With their long hair, vegan diet, and saw dust beds. Wait. Hamsters... I hate hamsters."

:lmao:

:lmao: awesome.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #29: September 01, 2013, 07:04:38 PM »
It's interesting that he said more or less Davey told him to just swing for the fences and forget his average or working walks.  HE also had a laugh at his K:BB.

Offline PC

« Reply #30: September 01, 2013, 07:24:03 PM »
It's interesting that he said more or less Davey told him to just swing for the fences and forget his average or working walks.  HE also had a laugh at his K:BB.

Davey is a terrible manager.

Offline blue911

« Reply #31: September 01, 2013, 07:32:37 PM »
Davey is a terrible manager.

Listen to the interview. He said quite a bit more about his development as a bitter.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #32: September 01, 2013, 07:55:49 PM »
Can he play 2B?

Offline blue911

« Reply #33: September 01, 2013, 08:03:30 PM »
Can he play 2B?

He'll probably be too big before too long.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #34: September 01, 2013, 09:28:19 PM »
He'll probably be too big before too long.
Can he play third?

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #35: September 03, 2013, 12:13:32 AM »
He apparently has a strong enough arm to play 3B.  He makes tons of errors at SS, much like Desi did.  Still, as a .250 hitter with a low OBP, that high OPS will probably drop in the majors.  Can we consider him an actual threat to be more than Lombo at this point?

Online Slateman

« Reply #36: September 03, 2013, 01:34:40 PM »
He apparently has a strong enough arm to play 3B.  He makes tons of errors at SS, much like Desi did.  Still, as a .250 hitter with a low OBP, that high OPS will probably drop in the majors.  Can we consider him an actual threat to be more than Lombo at this point?

What kind of errors? Are they simple fielding errors or throwing errors? Or are they errors because he has  good range but fumbles when he gets to the ball?

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #37: September 03, 2013, 03:15:50 PM »
What kind of errors? Are they simple fielding errors or throwing errors? Or are they errors because he has  good range but fumbles when he gets to the ball?

He has 31 at short and 7 at 3B this season.  Not sure if it's throwing or fielding that are more.

Online Slateman

« Reply #38: September 03, 2013, 06:30:08 PM »
Well he got called up. Welcome to the show.

Honestly, if he can hit for power at the MLB level, he can play. Look what the Pirates are doing with Alvarez.

Offline Mattionals

About Zach Walters...
« Reply #39: March 15, 2014, 12:25:46 PM »
Ok so I just spent a week down in ST and I got to watch ZW play at second, short and third.  He started many of those games and may have moved part way through the game.  His bat is ready IMO.  Even against MLB starters he had a great approach.  He was taking what they have him and he was patient enough to take a walk.  He doesn't have a big loopy swing and probably is a going to be a line drive hitter.  Defensively he looks very polished.  He didn't rush his throws and has a great arm, slightly weaker than Espinosa's but equal to Desmond's.  His hands weren't rocks which is what I expected, so I'm figuring that he has been working hard on his defense.

Ultimately he has played well enough so far to make the club, but I'm not sure that is where he ends up.  I consider this to be the last year of Zim at 3B and given LaRoche moving on after the season, there is a hole in the infield.  From what I have seen from Rendon, he still looks more like a 3B than a 2B.  I have confidence in Espinosa, who isn't having a dreadful spring but isn't really pushing the envelope to make the team, but I'm starting to believe he gets traded to another team before OD.

The five options I posted are all potential places Walters could land.  First, he makes the team as the utility guy over Espinosa/Carrol/Kobernus.  Second, he is sent down to AAA and continues to play SS as the team figures he replaces Desmond if they let Desmond walk or trade Desmond.  Third, he gets sent down to AAA to get regular at Nats and switch over to second base full time.  Fourth, same as option three but he is switched to third base full time.  The last option is the least likely as his trade value is low due to him not having any real MLB at bats.

Let me know what you think.

Online Slateman

Re: About Zach Walters...
« Reply #40: March 15, 2014, 12:27:40 PM »
Sent to Triple AAA and alternates between Second and Shortstop.

If Zimmerman goes down, we move Rendon to third and second base is open. If Rendon goes down, second base is open. If Desi goes down, Shortstop is open. If Laroche goes down, Zimmerman moves to first, Rendon to third, second is open.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #41: March 15, 2014, 01:31:09 PM »
Where's Espinosa in these scenarios?
Sent to Triple AAA and alternates between Second and Shortstop.

If Zimmerman goes down, we move Rendon to third and second base is open. If Rendon goes down, second base is open. If Desi goes down, Shortstop is open. If Laroche goes down, Zimmerman moves to first, Rendon to third, second is open.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #42: March 15, 2014, 01:33:44 PM »

I'm going to bet he is traded.

Online Slateman

« Reply #43: March 15, 2014, 01:42:01 PM »
competing for a starting job with Walters.

Rendon has proven he deserves to start. His bat more than makes up for his defense (which isn't bad at 2nd). Rendon stays.

Walters and Espinosa can duke it out in the event of an injury.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #44: March 15, 2014, 02:13:30 PM »

Hassisburg?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #45: March 15, 2014, 03:31:56 PM »
Espi will be traded the minute he establishes some trade value. Then Zach becomes the backup IF.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #46: March 15, 2014, 04:10:56 PM »
Espi will be traded the minute he establishes some trade value. Then Zach becomes the backup IF.

And it's probably the best thing for all concerned, including Espi.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #47: March 15, 2014, 04:14:44 PM »
I see Jamie Carroll as a better fit for backup infielder than Walters.  Walters has starter upside and if he is in the plans of the club as a starter, he should play everyday in AAA until an opening at the MLB level happens.  I see him as the 2B next season.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #48: March 15, 2014, 04:37:28 PM »
I see Jamie Carroll as a better fit for backup infielder than Walters.  Walters has starter upside and if he is in the plans of the club as a starter, he should play everyday in AAA until an opening at the MLB level happens.  I see him as the 2B next season.

This, mindfacting, but I feel like sitting on the bench derails prospects

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #49: March 15, 2014, 05:12:43 PM »

It comes down to how Carroll looks to the coaches. Stats in ST are effectively meaningless. Walters has demonstrated great potential the last couple of years with his work in ST and last year's call up. But in general, if there isn't an everyday spot, prospects are usually better served playing every day in the minors. A guy like Carroll has the experience and skills needed as a defensive backup and situational player. That's the kind of guy I expect to come north to start the season. Walters would be on speed dial, since he can fill in under any number of scenarios. These things tend to work themselves out with injuries and performance. A lot rides on whether Carroll still shows the staff he has a little gas left in the tank or not.  But I would rather have a guy like Carroll up to bat when all you need is a flyout to plate a runner or just need to advance a guy with a bunt or well-placed grounder. A lot of the regulars aren't as good at that as they should be, and you don't often see it from the prospects. Again, depends on whether the coaches think Walters has demonstrated his ability to be effective in bench role situations.