Poll

Where does Zach Walters play in 2014?

Makes thes MLB club as the utility infielder.
5 (21.7%)
Sent to AAA and plays SHORTSTOP everyday
8 (34.8%)
Sent to AAA and plays SECOND everyday
8 (34.8%)
Sent to AAA and plays THIRD everyday
2 (8.7%)
Traded
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Zach "Salty" Walters (UT)  (Read 9059 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: About Zach Walters...
« Reply #50: March 15, 2014, 06:11:59 PM »
I wonder if they will play games with Walters's and Espinosa's service time this year.  I do think Walters will start the year in the minors playing everyday in multiple positions (not an option in the poll).  I think Carroll likely starts the year on the roster, with DE perhaps in the minors.  Everyday line up of ALR-Grin-KID-FotF, with maybe Peterson as the back up 1B, 2 backup OFs in Hairston and McLouth, and Lobaton as the extra catcher.  this lets Moore, Espinosa, and Walters play every day in Syracuse, with perhaps Skole (more likely in Harrisburg).  There's no need for Moore to play in the OF this year with Hairston and McLouth, so that position flexibility gives him no roster advantage.

Online varoadking

« Reply #51: March 15, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »
Where's Espinosa in these scenarios?

Far,far away,I hope...

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #52: March 15, 2014, 09:04:08 PM »
I wonder if they will play games with Walters's and Espinosa's service time this year.  I do think Walters will start the year in the minors playing everyday in multiple positions (not an option in the poll).  I think Carroll likely starts the year on the roster, with DE perhaps in the minors.  Everyday line up of ALR-Grin-KID-FotF, with maybe Peterson as the back up 1B, 2 backup OFs in Hairston and McLouth, and Lobaton as the extra catcher.  this lets Moore, Espinosa, and Walters play every day in Syracuse, with perhaps Skole (more likely in Harrisburg).  There's no need for Moore to play in the OF this year with Hairston and McLouth, so that position flexibility gives him no roster advantage.

Agreed.

Offline welch

« Reply #53: March 16, 2014, 02:20:15 AM »
My hunch is:

- Walters goes to AAA and plays 2/3 SS and 1/3 2B. (1) Because he needs to hit every day, and (2) SS is a tiougher position, but he needs to practice the footwork at 2B.

- Espinosa battles Carroll for utility IF. If Espinosa were playing on the '63-69 Nats, he would battle Eddie Brindman for SS, but Brinkman probably had a better arm. Ted Williams taught Brinkman to hit. Espinosa seem unteachable. He is a .225 hitter. Kevin Elster during time with the Mets? The Old Nats could carry Brinkman's bat, and the Mets could carry Espinosa's bat.

- If Carroll is a smarter player, Espinosa is in trouble. Unfortunately, teams don't want his hitting. Maybe somebody assumes they can re-train the guy, just the way the Nats trained Henry Rodriguez to pitch in the majors. Maybe Espinosa to AAA (does he have any options?) where he plays wherever Walters doesn't.

Maybe the Nats can hire Mike Epstein to work with Espinosa. Espstein teaches the Ted Williams approach. Williams to Epstein: swing at the pitch you can hit. I think Williams got that advice, seemingly simple, from Hank Greenberg or Jimmy Foxx. Williams says that 50% of hitting is out-thinking the pitcher to guess the guess the pitch and the zone. Espinosa hits like Bobby Doer (Williams to Doer after a home run: "What pitch did you hit? Doerr: "I don't know. I just swing")

Offline sph274

« Reply #54: March 16, 2014, 06:57:27 AM »
walters is probably desmond's replacement when ian leaves in FA.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #55: March 16, 2014, 08:02:07 AM »
- Espinosa battles Carroll for utility IF. If Espinosa were playing on the '63-69 Nats, he would battle Eddie Brindman for SS, but Brinkman probably had a better arm. Ted Williams taught Brinkman to hit. Espinosa seem unteachable. He is a .225 hitter. Kevin Elster during time with the Mets? The Old Nats could carry Brinkman's bat, and the Mets could carry Espinosa's bat.

What? You're telling me  you're not impressed by Danny's .553 OPS this spring?   

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #56: March 16, 2014, 09:51:55 AM »
walters is probably desmond's replacement when ian leaves in FA.

Of all the players on the roster I think the FO would hate letting him go the most. The organization and him have stuck together and he is a leader. I just don't see him not getting the money.

Offline madj55

« Reply #57: March 16, 2014, 09:58:16 AM »
Of all the players on the roster I think the FO would hate letting him go the most. The organization and him have stuck together and he is a leader. I just don't see him not getting the money.
I concur, Ian will get paid. It'll be a pitcher that we let walk. I like Walters at 2B with Rendon at 3B and Zim at 1B.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #58: March 16, 2014, 10:14:42 AM »
I concur, Ian will get paid. It'll be a pitcher that we let walk. I like Walters at 2B with Rendon at 3B and Zim at 1B.

I see Harper and stras walking before he does. The organization just loves this guy.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #59: March 16, 2014, 01:47:06 PM »

This seems a likely turnout. Souza is another piece of the puzzle that is difficult to fit.  He has great power and can play both outfield and corner infield, though how efficiently I'm not sure.  I guess he will also be on their speed-dial, but playing in Syracuse.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #60: March 16, 2014, 01:52:12 PM »
I see Harper and stras walking before he does. The organization just loves this guy.

Yet two years out, he has a contract just covering his arb years.

Offline welch

« Reply #61: March 16, 2014, 09:41:26 PM »
My instinct says that both Walters and Souza will be regulars pretty soon. Werth won't play RF forever, and maybe Souza mnoves to LF with Harper in RF, and Werth as all-around OF sub. Souza just has a spark...and all the other things people have mentioned.

Walters will be somewhere in the Nats IF next season. He hits, and his fielding is pretty good. Espinosa can't hit. He has never hit all that much even in the minors. MLB pitchers seem to own his mind...I close my eyes, think of Espinosa, and see him taking an off-balance wack at a breaking ball that's low and outside.

Carroll probably this season based on all-around baseball smarts.

Imagine the Nats need a pinch-hitter. Runners on second and third with nobody out. Consider Espinosa? Argh!!!

Offline machpost

« Reply #62: March 17, 2014, 12:56:11 PM »
Walters sure put on a show during BP the two times I saw him at spring training.

Online Mattionals

« Reply #63: March 17, 2014, 01:06:35 PM »
My instinct says that both Walters and Souza will be regulars pretty soon. Werth won't play RF forever, and maybe Souza mnoves to LF with Harper in RF, and Werth as all-around OF sub. Souza just has a spark...and all the other things people have mentioned.

Walters will be somewhere in the Nats IF next season. He hits, and his fielding is pretty good. Espinosa can't hit. He has never hit all that much even in the minors. MLB pitchers seem to own his mind...I close my eyes, think of Espinosa, and see him taking an off-balance wack at a breaking ball that's low and outside.

Carroll probably this season based on all-around baseball smarts.

Imagine the Nats need a pinch-hitter. Runners on second and third with nobody out. Consider Espinosa? Argh!!!

I have to agree with you Welch.  I thought Souza was older, but he will only be 25 this year.  This is year 4 of Werth's 7 year pact, so I don't see him moving out of the field yet, and I think the Nats need 1B for Zimmerman.  I do think that as Werth ages and if his bat slows down, then he starts to split time with Souza in the OF.  I think Souza has enough of a hit and power tool to be a key bench player for this club and his wheels on the bases make him a great pinch runner option.  His defense is mediocre, but his everyday position would be LF as Harper is the RF for the rest of his career, and I hope his career is one that ends in D.C. and he never leaves.

Carroll is still a good enough bench player and I think he would produce better than Espinosa in that role, plus he is still fairly adequate on defense.  It will be interesting to see what happens with Espinosa because I think he has played admirably enough to be traded, and maybe for a player of some value.  I think he makes good long term sense for the Yankees or even the Mets, but I'd rather not trade him in division.

Walters is the real deal, even though he has lost some steam lately.  He has all the qualities of being a good MLB bat, and at 24, he still has room to grow.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #64: March 17, 2014, 01:25:34 PM »
If Souza's bat is for real, would they really use him as a bench bat for his early prime (ages 27-28)? I could see him being trade bait

Online Mattionals

« Reply #65: March 17, 2014, 01:29:35 PM »
If Souza's bat is for real, would they really use him as a bench bat for his early prime (ages 27-28)? I could see him being trade bait

I'm going to bet he is on the bench as early as this season and most definitely next (ages 25-26).  He is going to get the at bats at ages 27-28 because Werth is going to be on the decline.  I doubt the Nats let Souza go as he is still young and cost controllable.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #66: March 17, 2014, 01:35:38 PM »
I'm going to bet he is on the bench as early as this season and most definitely next (ages 25-26).  He is going to get the at bats at ages 27-28 because Werth is going to be on the decline.  I doubt the Nats let Souza go as he is still young and cost controllable.

I never like a situation where a bench player is obviously better than a starter - if the bat keeps on developing, I would hope they'd either bench Werth or trade him for a player they could better utilize

Online Mattionals

« Reply #67: March 17, 2014, 01:54:32 PM »
I never like a situation where a bench player is obviously better than a starter - if the bat keeps on developing, I would hope they'd either bench Werth or trade him for a player they could better utilize

Werth has a full no trade and he now lives in Mclean.  He isn't going anywhere and would have to accept a bench role or if he doesn't accept it, he can waive his no trade to play somewhere.  It is still the manager's decision on who plays, and probably in two years time, Werth will be benched for someone like Souza.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #68: March 17, 2014, 01:59:54 PM »
Werth has a full no trade and he now lives in Mclean.  He isn't going anywhere and would have to accept a bench role or if he doesn't accept it, he can waive his no trade to play somewhere.  It is still the manager's decision on who plays, and probably in two years time, Werth will be benched for someone like Souza.

I was referring to trading Souza

Online Mattionals

« Reply #69: March 17, 2014, 02:08:43 PM »
I was referring to trading Souza

I see now.  Still, what do you expect to get for Souza?  I guess he can be packaged as a "prospect", but the team is well built for the future with guys like Taylor and Goodwin poised to grab CF once Denard is let go.  Zim has to go 1B as he is locked up long term and has a full no trade as well.  I see Souza as a decent asset for the Nats that doesn't need to be traded right yet.  He could be traded if a need arises, but Rizzo did a fairly decent job providing some much needed depth at many positions this offseason.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #70: March 17, 2014, 02:13:25 PM »
Who knows what his market will be, but for a guy with zero or near zero service time who looks capable of starting, you should be able to get something decent. It's a few years away still (i think they're best off keeping him in aaa if there isn't an opportunity to start)

Online Mattionals

« Reply #71: March 17, 2014, 02:22:28 PM »
Who knows what his market will be, but for a guy with zero or near zero service time who looks capable of starting, you should be able to get something decent. It's a few years away still (i think they're best off keeping him in aaa if there isn't an opportunity to start)

I agree.  Who knows what will happen down the road.  The team might decide that none of the CF prospects are MLB capable and they might move Harper to CF and bring up Souza as the replacement LF/RF.  Or they could deal Souza to get a replacement CF.  He is a good asset to have.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #72: March 17, 2014, 03:10:29 PM »
Why does anyone want Harper to play CF and wear him out. He needs to stay healthy and stop chasing balls in the gaps and smashing into walls a la Ken Griffey Jr.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #73: March 17, 2014, 06:37:50 PM »
Why does anyone want Harper to play CF and wear him out. He needs to stay healthy and stop chasing balls in the gaps and smashing into walls a la Ken Griffey Jr.

Who says he won't still do those things as a corner outfielder? He'll have one fewer gap to go after but he'll still rumble into foul territory to nab a potential out...

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #74: March 17, 2014, 08:38:22 PM »
Who says he won't still do those things as a corner outfielder? He'll have one fewer gap to go after but he'll still rumble into foul territory to nab a potential out...

Mindfact alert: More balls are hit to CF.