Author Topic: Adventures in Syracuse - TMo's back in town  (Read 4886 times)

Offline MorseTheHorse

Adventures in Syracuse - TMo's back in town
« Topic Start: June 19, 2013, 02:38:58 PM »
Title credit: JCA.

2 for 4 with a HR last night.  I'm assuming once he shows production down in AAA over a decent number of ABs he gets called back up.  We could really use the TMo of last year.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Adventures in Syracuse - TMo's back in town
« Reply #1: June 19, 2013, 02:57:08 PM »
Honestly, not sure where to put him. You call him up, you gotta send someone down. Not sure who, other than Marrero

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #2: June 19, 2013, 02:59:26 PM »
Marrero  hasn't done anything yet for them to not happily do that as soon as TMo has shown enough in Syracuse.  I don't think we'll ever have teh problem this year of too many guys of quality for the 25 man

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #3: June 19, 2013, 04:02:59 PM »
Honestly, not sure where to put him. You call him up, you gotta send someone down. Not sure who, other than Marrero
Marrero and Kobernus are both basically here on a temporary basis so that's two spots right there.  A productive Tyler Moore would be a far superior bench piece than either of them.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #4: June 19, 2013, 04:54:07 PM »
Lots of good teams have interchangeable parts on their bench and back end of their bullpen.  Kobernus / Lombardozzi and Moore / Marrero can basically be swapped around as needed.  If we get to another stretch when an extra pitcher is needed and there's no 26th man allowed, then we can go short on the bench for a day or two, send one of the pairs down, and call up the other as a replacement when we get back to a normal bench.  Same I suppose will be true with Abad, Krol, Mattheus, and Karns, I think.  When we need to go to 14 position players, we drop the bullpen guy lowest on the pecking order who we can assing to the minors without waivers, and then reload with other talent to get back to a normal balance.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #5: June 19, 2013, 06:20:01 PM »
He has to close that big hole in his swing that other teams have discovered.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #6: June 20, 2013, 12:44:36 PM »
.250/.297/.500 through his first 8 games.  A week or two more of decent play like that and I think we see him get called back up.  Actually for the 25 man, Tracy and Bernie seem set, and we need a back up catcher no matter how bad Solano is.  So there are 2 bench spots left when Bryce comes back, right.  One would be Kobernus or Lombo.  One would be Moore or Marrero.  I would think.

Offline sph274

« Reply #7: June 20, 2013, 02:46:59 PM »
.250/.297/.500 through his first 8 games.  A week or two more of decent play like that and I think we see him get called back up.  Actually for the 25 man, Tracy and Bernie seem set, and we need a back up catcher no matter how bad Solano is.  So there are 2 bench spots left when Bryce comes back, right.  One would be Kobernus or Lombo.  One would be Moore or Marrero.  I would think.

Is that decent? I would have hoped he was doing better than that tbh

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #8: June 20, 2013, 03:08:20 PM »
moore is more of a power threat than marrero.  give him another couple weeks to get going and then call him back up. 

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #9: June 20, 2013, 04:58:59 PM »
Lombo is set on the bench.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Should be Lombo and Moore; Kobernus and Marrero back to Syracuse.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Tyler Moore back up to take Haren's open spot for now.

Follow

Adam KilgoreVerified account
‏@AdamKilgoreWP
The Nats called up Tyler Moore to take Haren's roster spot, at least between now and the next time the Nats need a starter.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I hope he is getting a minimum number of frequent flyer miles when he flies each segment.

Direct to Dulles via United, at least one direct out of National but mostly a connection via USAirways.

Offline MorseTheHorse

.263/.358/.450 in Syracuse according to B-R.  .333 /.435 /.513 in 46 plate appearances in July.  Seems decent enough, but with Hairston here I'm thinking we don't see TMo until September.  Thoughts?

Offline PC

He's walking like crazy.  I think I've seen more of his plate appearances end in walks than outs.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
What does it matter if he can't do it at the big league level? I'm guessing he's sitting on fastballs and everyone is throwing him junk. And since Triple A is filled with guys who can't control their breaking stuff, it only makes sense that he'd walk a lot.

Offline MorseTheHorse

He hit big league pitching pretty good last year. 

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
He hit big league pitching pretty good last year. 
This is actually a bit of a myth about T-Mo.  His splits tell a different story.

Before the ASB he was hitting .310/.380/.535 but after that he only hit .224/.283/.494.  The league figured him out a bit.  Now, this still doesn't explain how bad he's been this season but it helps to explain that he wouldn't be as good as he was last season.

Offline MorseTheHorse

This is actually a bit of a myth about T-Mo.  His splits tell a different story.

Before the ASB he was hitting .310/.380/.535 but after that he only hit .224/.283/.494.  The league figured him out a bit.  Now, this still doesn't explain how bad he's been this season but it helps to explain that he wouldn't be as good as he was last season.

I dunno that's a pretty good slugging percentage for having been figured out.  (Not to mention semantically, I don't see how your hypothesis makes my statement a myth. Even if I grant what you are saying it is not wrong to say he hit big league pitching well last year) But I would have to agree, especially based on the evidence this year, he certainly was figured out eventually. 

I think we all agree he needs to deal with breaking stuff better.  A good walk rate, even in AAA and SSS and all, is some indication he is.  It would be really great if we could have a cheap first baseman the next few years (after LaRoche leaves) as this team will just get more and more expensive at every other position for the foreseeable future. 

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT

I dunno that's a pretty good slugging percentage for having been figured out.  (Not to mention semantically, I don't see how your hypothesis makes my statement a myth. Even if I grant what you are saying it is not wrong to say he hit big league pitching well last year) But I would have to agree, especially based on the evidence this year, he certainly was figured out eventually. 

I think we all agree he needs to deal with breaking stuff better.  A good walk rate, even in AAA and SSS and all, is some indication he is.  It would be really great if we could have a cheap first baseman the next few years (after LaRoche leaves) as this team will just get more and more expensive at every other position for the foreseeable future. 
That's why I said a bit of a myth.  It's certainly not incorrect but it doesn't tell the whole story.  Maybe myth wasn't the best word to use there.  I don't disagree with anything you're saying.

Offline MorseTheHorse

That's why I said a bit of a myth.  It's certainly not incorrect but it doesn't tell the whole story.  Maybe myth wasn't the best word to use there.  I don't disagree with anything you're saying.

Fair enough=)! 

Offline sportsfan882

Moore 2/3 with a HR, 3 RBIs, 2 Walks tonight.

9 BBs to 8 Ks over his last 10 games. :shock: Interesting revelation for sure.

Offline Mattionals

Guy needs to play everyday.  He's a 100 times better than Hairston, but until we trade Laroche, its best for him to get at bats.

Hairston though is used to be being a bench guy.  It's obvious the Nats see starter potential in Moore.  I think the LaRoche signing was more of a win now guarantee more than not thinking Moore could do it.  At this point in 2013, it's time to move LaRoche and give Moore regular starts at 1B.  He might just give the same production as Morales would on the FA market, but the Nats won't know unless they try.  Worst thing that happens is they have to pick up a 1B this offseason.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
One thing about ASG splits is that it tests for only that one variable. As best I remember, and 2012 was a baseball lifetime ago, Moore played more regularly before the break. That's when Morse and Werth were out, after DeRosa and somebody else had proven that they shouldn't play regularly. They even tried Corey Brown, didn't they?

Maybe Moore hits better when he plays regularly...same as most young players.

Offline Mattionals

How does everyone think Moore would compare to ALR over a full season?