Poll

What should Rendon's nickname be?

The Grin: no need for explanation
7 (11.7%)
El Martillo:  Spanish for "The Hammer;" earned by the comparison of his wrists and swing to Aaron's
5 (8.3%)
Tony "Two bags":  in honor of his doubles, not his once and maybe future position. sounds vaguely mobbish.
29 (48.3%)
The Hitman:  also has mob overtones
19 (31.7%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Enter the Rendon - Grin for the Win  (Read 52164 times)

Offline nfotiu

Re: Enter the Rendon - Grin for the Win
« Reply #575: October 06, 2017, 11:14:24 PM »
What if there really is something to the argument that he isn't comfortable hitting in the middle of the lineup?
.. and he's sabotaging his play in the field until he gets his way?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #576: October 06, 2017, 11:25:33 PM »
.. and he's sabotaging his play in the field until he gets his way?

Subconsciously maybe. But more than likely it's simply a matter of comfort.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #577: October 06, 2017, 11:35:10 PM »
Subconsciously maybe. But more than likely it's simply a matter of comfort.
I feel like I am a pretty positive fans and give most of our players the benefit of the doubt that they are trying to do what's in the best interest of the team.  There were a few guys early in the modern Nats history that clearly weren't.  But since then, I think I've only felt that way about 2 players... Rafael Soriano and Anthony Rendon. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #578: October 06, 2017, 11:47:19 PM »
I don't understand why people think Rendon was being lazy on that misplay. Rendon deals with grounders like that all the freaking time at 3B and knows not to assume a ball is foul until it's called foul. If he had really thought it was a foul ball he would've gloved it and not even tried to transfer it to the bare hand. He does that all the time. Instead he was going for the throw to 1B but he fumbled it out of his glove. He freaked up what should've been an easy play. This was not a player not trying. This was a misplay. And for those who are nagging about the ball being foul, even if it was, the umpire was doing the Nats a favor by giving them an easy free out. If you look at the replay from the left field camera, the runner was probably 3 feet from home plate when the ball entered Rendon's glove. All he had to do was make the throw to get the easy out. And that's what he was trying to do before he freaked it up. I'm sure if he had finished the play successfully none of the whiners about the umpire would've naged about it. Or better yet, if Rendon completes the easy play and the umpire calls it foul, those same motherfreakers who naged about the ball being foul would be nagging that the umpire robbed the Nats out of an out.

Rendon was tonight's biggest offender with that misplay. If he doesn't freak that up Strasburg takes a no hitter into the 7th and probably pitches 8 scoreless frames. But then again, that would've gotten us nothing more than an extra innings loss because this freaking useless team had no plans to score runs tonight. :bang:

Offline whytev

« Reply #579: October 06, 2017, 11:49:31 PM »
I feel like I am a pretty positive fans and give most of our players the benefit of the doubt that they are trying to do what's in the best interest of the team.  There were a few guys early in the modern Nats history that clearly weren't.  But since then, I think I've only felt that way about 2 players... Rafael Soriano and Anthony Rendon.

This is one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard on this board.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #580: October 06, 2017, 11:55:34 PM »

I’d expect this out of someone with 5 post who came here for the playoffs. But someone with 1600 posts? Of all the crazy stuff I’ve seen on this board this year, this may be the absolute craziest.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #581: October 07, 2017, 10:02:05 AM »
The ball wasn't even fair,
It was clearly fair.  Were you at the game or watching on TV? Reason I ask is, seeing it from the stands, you could not possibly make that call unless you were on the first base side on a straight line extension of the third base foul line.  But on TV, they had a straight line view, and at the precise instant  when he touched the ball, it was directly over the line. That's how I saw it.

That being said, I don't hold Rendon responsible for the loss.  This loss is on the offense.

Offline whytev

« Reply #582: October 07, 2017, 02:30:52 PM »
It was clearly fair.  Were you at the game or watching on TV? Reason I ask is, seeing it from the stands, you could not possibly make that call unless you were on the first base side on a straight line extension of the third base foul line.  But on TV, they had a straight line view, and at the precise instant  when he touched the ball, it was directly over the line. That's how I saw it.

That being said, I don't hold Rendon responsible for the loss.  This loss is on the offense.

I wasn’t there. And you have to make the play. But I don’t think it was fair. But it doesn’t matter.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #583: October 07, 2017, 09:11:03 PM »
I’d expect this out of someone with 5 post who came here for the playoffs. But someone with 1600 posts? Of all the crazy stuff I’ve seen on this board this year, this may be the absolute craziest.

Fair enough.  I was a little drunk and mad.   I'm still not a rendon fan though.   

Offline dcpatti

« Reply #584: October 26, 2017, 03:02:07 PM »
Rendon is one of the finalists for the 2017 Gold Glove for 3rd Basemen. The other finalists are Nolan Arenado and David Freese.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #585: October 26, 2017, 03:03:05 PM »
Rendon is one of the finalists for the 2017 Gold Glove for 3rd Basemen. The other finalists are Nolan Arenado and David Freese.

We know how that one will turn out. But good to know that Rendon is getting recognized.

Online Slateman

« Reply #586: October 26, 2017, 03:10:44 PM »
Cool. Glad he is recognized.

He seems like the guy who really good at just about everything, but not the best in anything. A very complete player.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #587: October 26, 2017, 03:11:48 PM »
Cool. Glad he is recognized.

He seems like the guy who really good at just about everything, but not the best in anything. A very complete player.

He's the best at selling check swings.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #588: December 19, 2017, 04:40:05 PM »
Rendon really wants to stay here

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #589: June 07, 2018, 03:31:50 PM »

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #590: June 07, 2018, 03:44:12 PM »

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #591: June 25, 2018, 05:54:44 AM »
In case you missed it last night:  play of the year.

https://streamable.com/o7isc

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #592: June 25, 2018, 08:41:35 AM »
In case you missed it last night:  play of the year.

https://streamable.com/o7isc
I love the look he gives after the play.

Online Slateman

« Reply #593: June 25, 2018, 10:57:48 AM »
I love the look he gives after the play.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #594: June 25, 2018, 11:00:56 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)
People here were upset about the smiling a few weeks ago when he was not hitting. Guy doesn't care. Etc. And when he goes in a slump again those comments will be back.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #595: June 25, 2018, 11:04:54 AM »
Rendon is actually pretty average so far. I expect him to turn it on and have a couple quietly ridiculous months, but it has not happened yet.
I posted the above on June 13th. That night he went 0-3. The ten games since? .447/.488/.842

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #596: June 25, 2018, 11:06:14 AM »
I posted the above on June 13th. That night he went 0-3. The ten games since? .447/.488/.842
The cream rises. He actually had a much better April than usual. But then slumped in May.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #597: June 25, 2018, 11:07:35 AM »
People here were upset about the smiling a few weeks ago when he was not hitting. Guy doesn't care. Etc. And when he goes in a slump again those comments will be back.

Of course they will... It’s WNFF. You’re only good as your last at bat.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #598: June 25, 2018, 11:09:57 AM »
Of course they will... It’s WNFF. You’re only good as your last at bat.

Also the next error he makes will be due to his lackadaisical attitude. The excellent plays will be forgotten.

Lock him up Rizzo. Get it done.

Online Slateman

« Reply #599: June 25, 2018, 11:10:14 AM »
You should trash talk Pedro Severino