Poll

What should Rendon's nickname be?

The Grin: no need for explanation
6 (10.2%)
El Martillo:  Spanish for "The Hammer;" earned by the comparison of his wrists and swing to Aaron's
5 (8.5%)
Tony "Two bags":  in honor of his doubles, not his once and maybe future position. sounds vaguely mobbish.
29 (49.2%)
The Hitman:  also has mob overtones
19 (32.2%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Enter the Rendon - Grin for the Win  (Read 31303 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Enter the Rendon - Grin for the Win
« Reply #550: September 03, 2017, 01:44:02 AM »
dude :wtf:

Online bluestreak

« Reply #551: September 03, 2017, 01:47:32 AM »
dude :wtf:

;)

I remember some imagery of me and FP performing acts on Tony... :D

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #552: September 03, 2017, 02:24:11 AM »
  ;)

I remember some imagery of me and FP performing acts on Tony... :D

:hysterical:  True.

But you have to know that I like Rendon. He's probably our most consistent player and maybe even our best all around player. But you were so wood for him before the ASG and at the time (which is what counted going into that game) I didn't think he was the best 3B in the league.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #553: September 03, 2017, 11:44:55 AM »
Spider will chide me for bringing this up, but Rendon now leads all MLB position players in fWAR. If you look at the stats it looks like he does everything really well, but nothing great, which is probably why he gets no real MVP buzz.

(He’s 8th in bWAR)

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=100&type=8&season=2017&month=0&season1=2017&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

Rendon is better than average in nearly every possible aspect of the game, which makes him an exceptionally valuable player.  He's the guy we should be targeting for a long term contract ahead of some others.

Offline Optics

« Reply #554: September 03, 2017, 12:42:21 PM »
Yeah the problem with Rendon, in regards to MVP voting, is that he doesn't do any one thing REALLY well. Like on a scale of 1-5, he's probably a 4 or 4.5 in just about everything. He should get MVP votes, but I doubt he'll win it.

Offline tenken627

« Reply #555: September 03, 2017, 02:48:40 PM »
Yeah the problem with Rendon, in regards to MVP voting, is that he doesn't do any one thing REALLY well. Like on a scale of 1-5, he's probably a 4 or 4.5 in just about everything. He should get MVP votes, but I doubt he'll win it.

David Schonfield asserts that very notion, but argues its because Dusty bats him sixth that makes it harder for Rendon to accumulate numbers in different stats that other MVP contenders have. If Rendon batted early in the order, his stats and MVP chances would be more aligned with the others.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/82380/does-anthony-rendon-belong-in-the-nl-mvp-conversation

Online mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #556: September 03, 2017, 02:49:52 PM »
When's the last time a number six hitter won the MVP?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #557: September 04, 2017, 12:28:33 PM »
What was up with Rendon yesterday.  He jogged to first base on a  close play.  Clearly he wasn't loafing (he doesn't do that) and either FP or Bob said he seemed to be running as fast as he felt comfortable running. Which implies some sort of injury. Yet he played the rest of the game.

Offline Optics

« Reply #558: September 05, 2017, 11:41:34 AM »
What was up with Rendon yesterday.  He jogged to first base on a  close play.  Clearly he wasn't loafing (he doesn't do that) and either FP or Bob said he seemed to be running as fast as he felt comfortable running. Which implies some sort of injury. Yet he played the rest of the game.

Meh, who cares. Last thing we need is ANOTHER injury to a guy because he was running too hard to 1st.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #559: September 05, 2017, 02:25:03 PM »
Meh, who cares. Last thing we need is ANOTHER injury to a guy because he was running too hard to 1st.
I wasn't complaining that he wasn't running hard, I was wondering if it was because he had sustained an injury.

Online dcpatti

« Reply #560: September 05, 2017, 06:54:50 PM »
I wasn't complaining that he wasn't running hard, I was wondering if it was because he had sustained an injury.

This time of year, they're all injured. Hopefully he's going to get 3 or 4 days off in a row soon.

Online bluestreak

« Reply #561: September 17, 2017, 04:53:12 PM »
Rendon batting third tonight.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #562: October 06, 2017, 10:40:46 PM »
He blew Strasburg's start by being lazy in a critical spot.  There's been a couple guys who've done that since the Nats came to town and they are all out of here.  We should be able to trade him for a guy who cares enough to compete. 

Offline whytev

« Reply #563: October 06, 2017, 10:55:32 PM »
He blew Strasburg's start by being lazy in a critical spot.  There's been a couple guys who've done that since the Nats came to town and they are all out of here.  We should be able to trade him for a guy who cares enough to compete.

The ball wasn't even fair, firstly, and secondly, it doesn't matter unless we score at all, which we didn't.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #564: October 06, 2017, 10:56:17 PM »
The ball wasn't even fair, firstly, and secondly, it doesn't matter unless we score at all, which we didn't.

He had a pretty big part to play in that second part.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #565: October 06, 2017, 10:57:21 PM »

So we should get rid of one of our best players because he misplayed a ball that never should've been called fair? Come on dude.

Offline whytev

« Reply #566: October 06, 2017, 10:57:54 PM »
He had a pretty big part to play in that second part.

1/8th of the problem, I guess.

1/7th considering how good Taylor looked.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #567: October 06, 2017, 10:58:35 PM »
He's hard over on this. Just let him go with it.

So we should get rid of one of our best players because he misplayed a ball that never should've been called fair? Come on dude.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #568: October 06, 2017, 11:01:42 PM »
Assuming it's foul and giving up on a close play would get you benched in little league. 

That inning would have ended scoreless if he cared enough about the team to follow through on the play.  It's a completely different game if that played out.  Sure, he didn't cost us a 100% run.  But he turned a 55/45 into a 20/80. with indifference and pouting.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #569: October 06, 2017, 11:03:10 PM »
Right, right. One of the best 3Bs in baseball "doesn't care." He just made a freaking mistake.

Assuming it's foul and giving up on a close play would get you benched in little league. 

That inning would have ended scoreless if he cared enough about the team to follow through on the play.  It's a completely different game if that played out.  Sure, he didn't cost us a 100% run.  But he turned a 55/45 into a 20/80. with indifference and pouting.

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

« Reply #570: October 06, 2017, 11:05:02 PM »
How does the game end differently? The Cubs win 1-0? The reality is that inning cost us nothing because we couldn't hit the ball anyway. Stras had a no-hitter going into the 6th and we still lost.

Offline varoadking

« Reply #571: October 06, 2017, 11:08:01 PM »
How does the game end differently? The Cubs win 1-0? The reality is that inning cost us nothing because we couldn't hit the ball anyway. Stras had a no-hitter going into the 6th and we still lost.

Stras is still pitching a no-no in the eighth if we get out of that inning...

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #572: October 06, 2017, 11:08:49 PM »
Right, right. One of the best 3Bs in baseball "doesn't care." He just made a freaking mistake.

Bobbling a slow grounder he's charging for is a mistake.  A bad hop getting by you is a mistake.  Rushing a throw and airmailing it is a mistake.

Giving up on a close ball on the foul line late in a 0-0 playoff game is something different.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #573: October 06, 2017, 11:10:45 PM »
What if there really is something to the argument that he isn't comfortable hitting in the middle of the lineup?

Offline whytev

« Reply #574: October 06, 2017, 11:13:17 PM »

Your indifference is my levelheadedness.  It's what keeps him in at bats after a good call.  It's his whole personality.

They scored after that.  And we didn't score at all.  This is 2014 all over again.  You can slam Matt Williams all day for taking Zimmermann out, but we still didn't score alllllllll night.