Poll

What should Rendon's nickname be?

The Grin: no need for explanation
7 (11.7%)
El Martillo:  Spanish for "The Hammer;" earned by the comparison of his wrists and swing to Aaron's
5 (8.3%)
Tony "Two bags":  in honor of his doubles, not his once and maybe future position. sounds vaguely mobbish.
29 (48.3%)
The Hitman:  also has mob overtones
19 (31.7%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Enter the Rendon - Grin for the Win  (Read 52142 times)

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Re: Enter the Rendon - Grin for the Win
« Reply #150: June 18, 2013, 04:16:59 PM »
Eh, I could see him regaining his old form at some point. Ideally, Laroche would go on the DL, Zim would move to first, Rendon to third, and 2011 Espinosa would come back to the plate. Then we could trade him in the offseason for a decent number 5 starter.
Huh?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #151: June 18, 2013, 04:21:54 PM »
Grindon showed a nice arm last night when he gunned down fat Howard straying off third.

Actually, Zimm showed great hops, that ball was headed for the 3rd row.

Offline RL04

« Reply #152: June 18, 2013, 04:28:11 PM »
I'll take a couple of defensive lapses over 0-4 any day

I stared at this post for close to a minute in awe that a baseball fan would rather see a player commit multiple errors in a single game than go 0-4. 

I understand your point but I think you are taking halfsmoke’s post a little too literally.

Instead of “lapses,” replace it with "less-than-stellar-Espi-like plays."

No one values defense more than I do but Espi was an automatic out in the line-up every single time up, every single game.  A rally killer, and pitchers knew it.

I would take Lombo or “Hit Man” Tony any day of the week over a current Espinosa.

I think that was the point.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #153: June 18, 2013, 04:47:05 PM »
I gotta admit I stared at this post for close to a minute in awe that a baseball fan would rather see a player commit multiple errors in a single game than go 0-4.  Honestly I'm speechless and don't even know how to respond to that.

yes, I meant a single game, not a player making a couple of lapses over his stint in the mlb (i.e. rendon) vs the continual 0-4s that danny put up. You can to praising the GM who assembled this gem of an offense now 

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #154: June 18, 2013, 04:52:50 PM »
yes, I meant a single game, not a player making a couple of lapses over his stint in the mlb (i.e. rendon) vs the continual 0-4s that danny put up. You can to praising the GM who assembled this gem of an offense now 
I take your personal shots at me as a compliment that shows that somewhere in there I am getting through to you.  And if you're comparing these lapses to an 0-4 game which takes place over the period of one game, I think it's reasonable for me to assume that the lapses you sleight of hand to would also take place in the same time period.  If that's not what you meant than I misinterpreted your meaning and I apologize for that.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #155: June 18, 2013, 05:03:31 PM »
Coulda been worse. He could have drafted Bubba Starling.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #156: June 18, 2013, 05:13:25 PM »
Coulda been worse. He could have drafted Bubba Starling.

he's getting lasik, what's storen's excuse?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #157: June 18, 2013, 06:58:46 PM »
This freaking kid ... interviewing with Dave on the radio ... I could hear that darnrin the whole time

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #158: June 18, 2013, 07:53:23 PM »
I gotta admit I stared at this post for close to a minute in awe that a baseball fan would rather see a player commit multiple errors in a single game than go 0-4.  Honestly I'm speechless and don't even know how to respond to that.

If you don't understand it, you're not a Nats fan...  ;)

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #159: June 18, 2013, 08:01:41 PM »
If you don't understand it, you're not a Nats fan...  ;)
I see what you did there :P

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #160: June 20, 2013, 12:17:20 AM »
0-5 tonight and 1-12, BB, 3 K in the Philadelphia series.  Before his average falls off and the panic monkeys turn on him let's remember that he's young, the league is seeing him for the first time and may finally be making adjustments to him, and a player that young is just so unlikely to sustain an average above .300.  If I'm wrong and he continues hitting like a beast, great.  But I expect we may be seeing the beginning of his regression to where he should be at this point.  He will now have to learn to make adjustments just like Bryce did last year.  To be completely clear I have very little doubt he will be a good hitter in the long run but very rare is the hitter who doesn't have some rough patches in their first season in the bigs.

« Reply #161: June 20, 2013, 01:36:45 AM »
yasiel puig maybe exception he is still hitting .500 even after 15 games

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #162: June 20, 2013, 04:22:44 AM »
But Rendon was getting on base more than Werth.  So batting Rendon early in the line-up makes sense

There is no reason Werth should be hitting 5th.  Werth needs to be either at 1 or 2.  Move Rendon back to 5. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #163: June 20, 2013, 07:48:18 AM »
But Rendon was getting on base more than Werth.  So batting Rendon early in the line-up makes sense

Not anymore. Rendon has lost his patient approach. Until he gets that back, he should be hitting sixth or lower.

Span
Werth
Zimmerman
Laroche
Desmond
Rendon
Lombo/Kobernus/Bernadina
Suzuki
Pitcher

Offline madj55

« Reply #164: June 20, 2013, 08:38:06 AM »
A bad series and he's lost his approach at the plate...right...Rendon was still pretty patient at the plate, he just was trying to belt homers instead of hit line drives.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #165: June 20, 2013, 09:45:19 AM »
A bad series game and he's lost his approach at the plate...right...Rendon was still pretty patient at the plate, he just was trying to belt homers instead of hit line drives.
fixed.  His approach was fine the first two games.  Werth and Rendon see the most pitches on the team per plate appearance, really they should probably be hitting 1 and 2 in the lineup.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #166: June 20, 2013, 09:49:31 AM »
fixed.  His approach was fine the first two games.  Werth and Rendon see the most pitches on the team per plate appearance, really they should probably be hitting 1 and 2 in the lineup.

Span's the one who needs to drop.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #167: June 20, 2013, 09:51:56 AM »
Right now, of the regular starters (and I'm including Harper) Desmond and Span are the only two that don't see at least 4 pitches per plate appearance.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #168: June 20, 2013, 02:47:40 PM »
To the bench maybe

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #169: June 20, 2013, 06:18:54 PM »

he's a good defender who has only hit lead off hence he is a lead off hitter (even though he's hurting the team there)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #171: June 27, 2013, 10:19:12 AM »
Right now, of the regular starters (and I'm including Harper) Desmond and Span are the only two that don't see at least 4 pitches per plate appearance.

Really? Span seems to take a lot of pitches and is comfortable hitting with two strikes.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #172: June 27, 2013, 10:23:45 AM »
Rendon should be on the all star team.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #173: June 28, 2013, 11:55:55 AM »
Nice piece by Boswell on Grindon today at http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/washington-nationals-anthony-rendon-making-solid-contact/2013/06/27/e806d516-df93-11e2-963a-72d740e88c12_story.html

He mentions his grin at least two or three times. And he talks about his hitting ability too. ;)

Offline Slateman

« Reply #174: July 06, 2013, 07:58:43 PM »
Now hitting under .300 :(