Poll

What should Rendon's nickname be?

The Grin: no need for explanation
7 (11.7%)
El Martillo:  Spanish for "The Hammer;" earned by the comparison of his wrists and swing to Aaron's
5 (8.3%)
Tony "Two bags":  in honor of his doubles, not his once and maybe future position. sounds vaguely mobbish.
29 (48.3%)
The Hitman:  also has mob overtones
19 (31.7%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Enter the Rendon - Grin for the Win  (Read 37482 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Re: Enter the Rendon - Grin for the Win
« Reply #50: June 11, 2013, 09:46:37 AM »
Yeah, God forbid a 23 year old kid have fun playing a game for a living. :roll:

You are not getting what I'm saying. There's a proper place and time to smile and have fun and a time to put on your game face.

Take Brandon Phillips. He's always laughing on the field and it comes across as cocky. I would think that rubs a lot of opponents the wrong way. I would drill him for sure.

Offline Minty Fresh

• #DCU
« Reply #51: June 11, 2013, 09:50:59 AM »
I'm guessing Rendon's smile will not determine the success of his baseball career. He's no Meat Hook.

Solid avatar is SOLID.

Can't wait for the Wyatts!

Offline Minty Fresh

• #DCU
« Reply #52: June 11, 2013, 09:52:37 AM »
Where did you practice orthodontics?

Seriously, who gives a crap about his grin? We've bloviated on some strange topics before but this one...  :smh:

In other news, bloviated is a great word which needs to appear more frequently on WNFF.net.

Online imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
« Reply #53: June 11, 2013, 09:55:32 AM »
Rendon cannot be criticized, until he goes into a slump where he's hitting .180 and striking out 5 out of every 10 at bats.

Then we call for his head!

Offline Minty Fresh

• #DCU
« Reply #54: June 11, 2013, 09:56:39 AM »
You are not getting what I'm saying. There's a proper place and time to smile and have fun and a time to put on your game face.

Take Brandon Phillips. He's always laughing on the field and it comes across as cocky. I would think that rubs a lot of opponents the wrong way. I would drill him for sure.

You'd get so butt-hurt over a guy grinning that you'd plunk him?

I'd throw at your face for even suggesting something so stupid.

And Vega's right:

crap Eating Grin  >>>>>  Terrible Espinosa

Online GburgNatsFan

« Reply #55: June 11, 2013, 10:08:02 AM »
I know, right?

In other news, bloviated is a great word which needs to appear more frequently on WNFF.net.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #56: June 11, 2013, 10:12:30 AM »

Guys have been plunked for a lot less. You know, staring too long at a pitcher, dropping the bat the wrong way after crushing a HR, looking at a HR too long, trotting around the bases too slow (or too fast)....

I can see Rendon going 3-3 and flashing that grin his fourth time up and then getting drilled. Not saying he deserves it. Just saying I can see some hothead pitcher doing it.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #57: June 11, 2013, 10:14:25 AM »
Guys have been plunked for a lot less. You know, staring too long at a pitcher, dropping the bat the wrong way after crushing a HR, looking at a HR too long, trotting around the bases too slow (or too fast)....

Yeah and all those reasons are also totally idiotic

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #58: June 11, 2013, 10:15:10 AM »
Yeah and all those reasons are also totally idiotic

Of course, they are. Still happens though...

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #59: June 11, 2013, 10:17:37 AM »

great, OBP is a good thing as is the opposing pitcher getting ejected, besides hopefully after Greinke, pitchers will think twice more often about drilling batters intentionally

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #60: June 11, 2013, 10:22:29 AM »
great, OBP is a good thing as is the opposing pitcher getting ejected, besides hopefully after Greinke, pitchers will think twice more often about drilling batters intentionally

His OBP will not be of any use if he gets hurt.

Offline Minty Fresh

• #DCU
« Reply #61: June 11, 2013, 10:28:21 AM »

I can see Rendon going 3-3 and flashing that grin his fourth time up and then getting drilled. Not saying he deserves it. Just saying I can see some hothead pitcher doing it.

You said, "I'd drill him for sure."  So yes, you are saying he deserves it.  And as wpa said, that's idiotic.

We have this guy in Upstate New York that owns a bunch of car dealerships and has local ads running on local television all the time - Billy Fucillo. Billy has the best prices on particular makes of cars in the area so the dude is really good at selling cars.  The problem is that Billy's advertisements are super annoying - he just blathers on-and-on-and-on in the background while the guy he hires as his pitchman (Tom Park) tries desperately to actually give useful information about the automobiles Billy sells.  Every time an advertisement of his comes on, I flail around for my remote so I can mute the ads while not changing the channel - especially before the end of the ad when Billy inevitably shouts, "IT'S HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGE!" into my living room.

I can honestly say that Billy Fucillo has moved down one spot to #2 on the list of people that I've never met but I'd sill love to kick in the balls. 

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #62: June 11, 2013, 10:34:44 AM »
I only see him smile after making a good play or getting a good hit.   I see nothing wrong with it.   It shows he's having fun on the big stage!   Personally,  I think the guys need to relax more and have fun.   They are putting so much pressure on themselves they can't hit their way out of a paper bag sometimes.   I think their Mantra should be ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?   

Offline Kevrock

• Troll So Hard University
« Reply #63: June 11, 2013, 10:37:41 AM »
BiL has seriously jumped the shark with this one.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #64: June 11, 2013, 10:38:03 AM »
You said, "I'd drill him for sure."  So yes, you are saying he deserves it.  And as wpa said, that's idiotic.

Rendon, no, I would not drill. He's just a goofy rookie is my take.

Phillips, yes, I would drill him every chance I get. Everyone knows he's the cockiest in the game.

Billy Fucillo would for sure be drilled on the field.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #65: June 11, 2013, 10:38:49 AM »
BiL has seriously jumped the shark with this one.

It's mostly tongue in cheek. Relax. A slow day of work and I'm just having some fun.

And what does Bernadina have to do with this.

Love your av.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #66: June 11, 2013, 10:41:51 AM »
I only see him smile after making a good play or getting a good hit.   I see nothing wrong with it.   It shows he's having fun on the big stage!   Personally,  I think the guys need to relax more and have fun.   They are putting so much pressure on themselves they can't hit their way out of a paper bag sometimes.   I think their Mantra should be ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?   

Rendon flashes that grin the whole time he's a the plate.

But you do make a good point about them being too uptight. Espi's problem was partially that, Davey always said.

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #67: June 11, 2013, 10:43:21 AM »

IMO those things are meant to show a pitcher up.  When you stare him down it is a challenge to that pitcher.  When you flip your bat exuberantly you're saying I got the best of you.  Wen you smile it means you're having fun.  It isn't directed directly at the pitcher like these other things are. 

Who knows maybe he will get plunked this week but I doubt it.   

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #68: June 11, 2013, 11:07:51 AM »
seriously?  3 pages on his grin?

:lmao:

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #69: June 11, 2013, 11:08:19 AM »

Who knows maybe he will get plunked this week but I doubt it.   

Is Fake Tough Hamels slated to pitch in the Philthy series? :mg:

Offline Optics

« Reply #70: June 11, 2013, 11:09:13 AM »

Take Brandon Phillips. He's always laughing on the field and it comes across as ****y. I would think that rubs a lot of opponents the wrong way. I would drill him for sure.

Brandon Phillips comes across as douchey because he's good. He's one of those guys you love when he's on your team, and hate otherwise.

If Rendon becomes our Brandon Phillips, I'd be thrilled. And let him smile all he wants.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #71: June 11, 2013, 11:09:25 AM »
seriously?  3 pages on his grin?

:lmao:

Sadly, I've seen worse on here....much worse.

It's a slow day, what can I say.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #72: June 11, 2013, 11:13:21 AM »
Is Fake Tough Hamels slated to pitch in the Philthy series? :mg:

I'd trade 8 games of Rendon for a Quentin/Greinke encounter between the two

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #73: June 11, 2013, 11:28:48 AM »

I'd throw at your face for even suggesting something so stupid.

:clap:  Only the weak throw at batters.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #74: June 11, 2013, 11:31:07 AM »
If smiling bothers folks, let's give Rendon a nickname incorporating "the grin" as a menacing trait.