Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Drew Ward, 3b  (Read 18768 times)

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
Re: Follow the Prospects: Drew Ward, 3b
« Reply #75: July 24, 2014, 02:32:03 PM »
I'm baffled that someone can say for certain that a guy won't develop into a good player when the kid is 19.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #76: July 24, 2014, 02:32:58 PM »
I'm baffled that someone can say for certain that a guy won't develop into a good player when the kid is 19.

I'm pretty sure anyone could figure out from watching me in little league that I would never develop into a good player

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #77: July 24, 2014, 02:33:20 PM »
I'm pretty sure anyone could figure out from watching me in little league that I would never develop into a good player

:lmao: fair point.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #78: July 24, 2014, 03:12:37 PM »
Free access: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=24231

Makeup: Interesting player; looks to have fun; goofing off in warmups and pre-game workouts; turns on the professional look during the game; annoyingly complains about every call; not bad makeup, but has some quirks that certain individuals may grow tired of.

Ward has raw power and a big frame, but the hit tool and defense will drag him down at higher levels. He is getting away with the hit tool currently due to the competition level. Any secondary pitch that is a solid-average offering has overwhelmed Ward, who simply cannot recognize good spin. The swing has holes, but I do think it can be ironed out eventually. The swing can be shortened and balanced, but it does not solve to neurological issues of recognizing spin.

Ward is likely going to face issues at the next two levels, but he could piece it together and provide a few average seasons in the majors. This is not an impact prospect, but the tools are there just enough to provide some value. I do not think the OFP and realistic role are far apart, as the player does not have a large amount of growth left. However, he does have age on his side.
Sounds like David Ortiz at the same age.

Online RD

« Reply #79: July 24, 2014, 04:32:16 PM »
Count me in with the its hard to tell how good he can become already. Not only is he just 19, but he left high school early. Despite the age, thats still one year less of competition (even if poor competition, but also took him off another summer circuit, playing against elite talent). Then factor in that he didnt see many quality pitches at the high school level because of such poor competition. So his first full year of pro ball shouldn't be the last we see of progress in him.

If he is emotional and argues all calls, it could just be a discipline thing. It may not be solely on pitch recognition. He could just have a lack of focus by letting previous pitches/ plays effect him. All speculation of course since I haven't seen him in the minors. But I just think a 19 year old in his first full season gets a bit more room to grow to judge.

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #80: July 25, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
I'm sure Tucker Blair is an expert on the neurological issues that may genetically prevent a player from ever getting better at recognizing offspeed pitches. After all, he graduated with a B.A. in Entrepeneurial Studies at York College in Pennsylvania and works as a Project Analyst at a management consulting firm.

I'm not saying he's wrong, but scouts (especially amateur scouts) are the WORST when they stray from "this is what the kid is on the field right now" into "this is what a likely projection is for this kid". The first is observational data they're trained for, the second is usually conjecture.

This struck me, too. I could say the same thing about Bryce Harper when he's scuffling and striking out a ton. Does anyone here actually think Harper is incapable of hitting breaking balls? (Hint: He was crushing breaking balls to start 2013)

Does anyone care to retweet that to an expert for his opinion on if you can scout the neurological ability to recognize offspeed pitches?  :hysterical:

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #81: August 14, 2014, 01:43:13 AM »
He is doing okay I think saying he wont be a major leaguer can be a mistake. I mean he is top 10 in RBI's in the SAL and his numbers look okay. Im sure he can improve but he is still very very young.

Offline Burgess

• K MONSTER!
« Reply #82: August 22, 2014, 09:44:28 PM »
Even if he strikes out a lot kid is putting decent numbers. We must learn with Souza. Souza's numbers were below average when he started now look at him. Some kids take a while to adjust and grow

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #83: August 22, 2014, 09:50:43 PM »
Maybe it was his first couple weeks as a pro, but I am all-in on this kid.  He is still so green and could fail at so many points but I'm all-aboard the bandwagon way before there is one.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #84: August 28, 2014, 11:41:49 AM »
Even if he strikes out a lot kid is putting decent numbers. We must learn with Souza. Souza's numbers were below average when he started now look at him. Some kids take a while to adjust and grow

Also agree with Tiger.

Think of one kid: signed with the Nats at 17; following MLB rules of the time time, Nats had to carry him on the 25-man roster for two seasons. Got no coaching: too raw, more experienced players got whatever coaching the Nats could give; Nats had few coaches anyway. Finished his time and was sent to AA one season, then one season in AAA. Only "coaching" he got was from an old-time ball-player coaching or managing an opposing team. "Kid," coach said, "get closer to the plate. That will let you pull any pitch: inside corner, middle, outside corner. You've got muscles. If a pitcher tries to brush you back, if he hits you, you won't feel it."  Kid came back to the Senators in 1959 and tied Mickey Mantle as AL home run champ. Never learned to field...never got the coaching...but was a star until he retired. Hall of Fame. Harmon Killebrew.

No way will I predict that Drew Ward is like Killebrew, but I would not throw Ward onto the discard pile at 19. Killebrew became the Killer, "Bombin' Harmon" (Bob Wolff) at 23.

Here's hoping Ward learns. He has time, and the organization spends money to teach young players.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #85: August 28, 2014, 11:52:32 AM »
Also agree with Tiger.

Think of one kid: signed with the Nats at 17; following MLB rules of the time time, Nats had to carry him on the 25-man roster for two seasons. Got no coaching: too raw, more experienced players got whatever coaching the Nats could give; Nats had few coaches anyway. Finished his time and was sent to AA one season, then one season in AAA. Only "coaching" he got was from an old-time ball-player coaching or managing an opposing team. "Kid," coach said, "get closer to the plate. That will let you pull any pitch: inside corner, middle, outside corner. You've got muscles. If a pitcher tries to brush you back, if he hits you, you won't feel it."  Kid came back to the Senators in 1959 and tied Mickey Mantle as AL home run champ. Never learned to field...never got the coaching...but was a star until he retired. Hall of Fame. Harmon Killebrew.

No way will I predict that Drew Ward is like Killebrew, but I would not throw Ward onto the discard pile at 19. Killebrew became the Killer, "Bombin' Harmon" (Bob Wolff) at 23.

Here's hoping Ward learns. He has time, and the organization spends money to teach young players.
I knew who it was after the first sentence. I actually remember that and had a 1954 card of the baby faced Killebrew.  Time flies.

Offline welch

« Reply #86: August 28, 2014, 10:07:38 PM »
I knew who it was after the first sentence. I actually remember that and had a 1954 card of the baby faced Killebrew.  Time flies.

I had Killebrew cards from a few of the early seasons, but not 1959. I was certain that Topps made fewer Roy Sievers and Harmon Killebrew cards in '59 just so we would buy more packs of cards. I had about six each of Ron Samford, Reno Bertoia, Bobby Malkmus, Ken Aspromonte. Even Eddie Yost as a Tiger. Not Roy or Harmon.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #87: July 10, 2015, 12:04:41 PM »
Slash line of .243/.326/.333 through 77 games at Potomac. Is on an 8 game hitting streak. Not much corner infield talent in the system, so would be nice if he could get it going.

Super young though.

Online RD

« Reply #88: July 10, 2015, 04:04:37 PM »
I wish the Nats would've moved a bit slower with him. Barring a scorching 6 weeks to end the season, he's going to be back in Potomac. Being in Potomac at 21 (his age next year) is not a bad thing. But he should've been at Hagerstown this year(Auburn last year). The power hasn't shown up really yet and that was his calling card. Hopefully he can start to put it together next year.

Offline Clever

« Reply #89: July 10, 2015, 08:34:09 PM »
I wish the Nats would've moved a bit slower with him. Barring a scorching 6 weeks to end the season, he's going to be back in Potomac. Being in Potomac at 21 (his age next year) is not a bad thing. But he should've been at Hagerstown this year(Auburn last year). The power hasn't shown up really yet and that was his calling card. Hopefully he can start to put it together next year.
He never played for Auburn. Was at Hagerstown all of last year.

Online RD

« Reply #90: July 11, 2015, 12:28:19 AM »
He never played for Auburn. Was at Hagerstown all of last year.

I know. I was saying what path I wish he was on, as opposed to the path he is on. I would rather have had him go Auburn ('14), Hagerstown ('15), Potomac('16) as opposed to what he's actually doing, Hagerstiwn ('14), Potomac ('15) and likely Potomac again in '16. Same place in '16, but playing at the lower levels might have helped him develop a bit better he's had 2 mediocre years now and will repeat high A, as opposed to possibly having 2 solid seasons, and just entering high A. All a guess of course. I just believe in the slow path at the low levels.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #91: April 11, 2016, 03:22:11 PM »
After three games Potomac, he has 2 homers. Five hits overall in 11 at bats. He only had 7 homers all last season.

He's fallen out of the conversation, but he's only 21 which isn't too old for Potomac. I still think Ward could turn into a possible useful piece. If his power numbers improve he could turn into a T-Mo/Clint Robinson 1B/OF swing player. Doesn't have their power but may be able to play some third as well.

I want to believe.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #92: April 11, 2016, 03:49:54 PM »
Like I said in the Follow The Minors thread, I think Ward could be the breakout guy this year. He's still a young buck, with some power potential and solid defense. He my fill out a bit more and put some more power on.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #93: April 11, 2016, 05:26:52 PM »
Like I said in the Follow The Minors thread, I think Ward could be the breakout guy this year. He's still a young buck, with some power potential and solid defense. He my fill out a bit more and put some more power on.
That's good. Need someone to replace Rendon when we don't re-sign him.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #94: April 27, 2016, 08:27:58 AM »
3 for 4   hitting .333   2 HR  5 RBI  has 5 HRs this season   Starting to show his power.

Not good defensively, but hopefully he can keep it going and keep moving up. We need a third baseman with power.

Offline welch

« Reply #95: April 28, 2016, 01:52:24 PM »

Ward now hitting .320, 5 HR, .980 OPS after 20 games. That's promising.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #96: April 28, 2016, 02:05:41 PM »
He's only 21, but is repeating at Potomac. I'm expecting him to be pushed a bit this season. We'll see. Good start. Would like to see some scouting reports on his defense. Hope he can stay at 3rd

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #97: May 28, 2016, 02:13:26 PM »
Hit his 8th HR last night batting .326 maybe power is coming.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #98: May 29, 2016, 10:23:17 PM »
If he keeps up this power with a .300 average this season.... This kid may be the corner infield bat our system has lacked since Rendon sped through and then Skole got hurt.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024