Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Billy Burns, OF  (Read 9489 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Re: Follow the Prospects: Billy Burns, OF
« Reply #25: July 23, 2013, 10:59:38 AM »
What do we make of Burns?

42/46 SBs is awesome and then he has a 45 BB/34 K ratio which is also very good. .407 OBP. He has 0 errors and 4 assists on the season in 72 games. He's played 59/72 games at LF because of Michael Taylor in CF but seems like he is fine in CF where he belongs.

A little old for Potomac but still really good numbers. Is he another Boomer Whiting (washout) or is there potential there to be a utility player or more at the Major League level?
I want to see him move up the system a bit before getting excited, but even if he were to take a full year next year in AA then he would be 25 in AAA in 2015. Old, but if he produces at 25 in AAA then I am fine with saying "Role player prospect". Not everyone is going to rush through the system.

Then again, I was really big on Kobernus and Eury Perez and the Nats have shown they're not excited about either of them.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #26: July 25, 2013, 09:01:14 PM »
At the PNats game tonight and Burns hit a "triple".

It gets the " " because the outfielders almost act as extra infielders against Burns due to negative power. Burns hit a routine fly ball that ended up a triple cause the OF'ers were so close they had no chance to catch it.

Having said that dude can fly, and he absolutely trucked the catcher on a bang bang play. Something you don't often see from a guy that's 5'9.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #27: July 25, 2013, 09:23:29 PM »
What's the stadium like down there?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #28: July 25, 2013, 09:34:01 PM »
I don't know. I'm watching game in Lynchburg.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #29: July 26, 2013, 01:43:40 AM »
Burns is about the same size as Kirby Pucket, who is listed as having playe at 5-8 178 pounds. Burns is listed at 5-9, 180 pounds.

Having said that dude can fly, and he absolutely trucked the catcher on a bang bang play. Something you don't often see from a guy that's 5'9.

I have no objections to another Puck, and playing for Washington.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #30: July 28, 2013, 01:14:18 PM »
Billy Burns sounds like a comic book characters name.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #31: July 28, 2013, 05:45:20 PM »
Billy Burns sounds like a comic book characters name.
nah, he's a cartoon character, not a comic book character.  he's the grandson of Montgomery.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #32: July 29, 2013, 12:48:41 PM »
nah, he's a cartoon character, not a comic book character.  he's the grandson of Montgomery.
Alliterating names always remind me of comic books; Peter Parker, Louis Lane, Lex Luthor, and Jonah Jameson.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #33: July 29, 2013, 01:17:51 PM »
I guess Jenna wasn't a comic book name, but I believe at least some of her  wasn't real.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #34: August 02, 2013, 08:27:44 AM »
Burns with # 50 and 51 yesterday.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #35: August 02, 2013, 01:23:04 PM »
Promoted

Nationals Prospects ‏@nats_prospects 43s
Per @PNats42 media folks - OF Billy Burns promoted to @HbgSenators replaced by OF Brandon Miller who was sent up from @HagerstownSuns

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #36: August 02, 2013, 02:01:26 PM »
He definitely deserves this promotion.  He was a bit old for Potomac, and if he proves that he can consistently get on base in the high minors, he could make a good 4th or 5th outfielder/pinch runner.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #37: August 03, 2013, 08:30:51 PM »
How does he compare to Eury Perez?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #38: August 03, 2013, 10:10:28 PM »
Less power, better eye. Better speed, worse arm.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #39: August 14, 2013, 03:02:17 PM »
10 games in AA and Burns is still hitting for good average with a pretty good OBP. Little to no power but he should start next season AA. We may have a player on our hands.

Offline welch

« Reply #40: August 26, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
Burns the only Senator hitting over .300, although he's only been there a month or so. The spark of the team.

I saw H'burg yesterday, Goodwin in CF and Burns in LF. On his first real chance, Burns misplayed a hit down the line -- bobbled it after running hard to get to a grounder that hugged the line. THEN made a diving somersault catch of a long line-drive that had twisted into foul ground. Caught the ball with head about to hit the ground, one hand bracing himself for the impact, feet and body fliping over, glove hand on the ball.

Only play I've seen like it was a Wee-Willie Harris play against the Mets, one that Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling still talk about.

Got a hit, ran the bases hard though held by the 3B coach, who is also the hitting coach, and who seems to have the Nationals' organization principle of "let's take one base at a time but never press the defense".

My one-game conclusion: a real CF and leadoff hitter. Begins next season in Harrisburg, then to Syracuse.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #41: August 26, 2013, 11:46:28 AM »
Burns the only Senator hitting over .300, although he's only been there a month or so. The spark of the team.

I saw H'burg yesterday, Goodwin in CF and Burns in LF. On his first real chance, Burns misplayed a hit down the line -- bobbled it after running hard to get to a grounder that hugged the line. THEN made a diving somersault catch of a long line-drive that had twisted into foul ground. Caught the ball with head about to hit the ground, one hand bracing himself for the impact, feet and body fliping over, glove hand on the ball.

Only play I've seen like it was a Wee-Willie Harris play against the Mets, one that Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling still talk about.

Got a hit, ran the bases hard though held by the 3B coach, who is also the hitting coach, and who seems to have the Nationals' organization principle of "let's take one base at a time but never press the defense".

My one-game conclusion: a real CF and leadoff hitter. Begins next season in Harrisburg, then to Syracuse.

How about Rizzo shocking the world and giving him a September callup?

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #42: August 26, 2013, 03:52:06 PM »
I was at the game Saturday and this kid just oozes baseball to me.  He got on base and just ran amok on them.  They were so worried about his speed they overthrew first base trying to keep him close.  He took second easily.  Later he was on 2nd and they started both runners on 1st and 2nd.  He had the bad easy and the hitter got a single on the swing.

Burns looks like the real deal though I'm assuming he is really green/young?

He appeared to have zero power but slapped a base hit past a defense playing back with two strikes. 

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #43: August 27, 2013, 07:50:27 AM »
Hit a bunt double last night.  :clap:

That's right, a double. They waited to see if it would be foul and when they finally picked the ball up, Billy was on second and apparently might have been on third if Nate Karns hadn't been running in front of him.  That's slow-pitch stuff...good times!

Offline welch

« Reply #44: August 27, 2013, 08:20:28 AM »
As the team came off the field Sunday, Billy Burns was all smiles, Sean Nicol (key hit in the comeback), Steven Souza (long libe drive hit in the comback) and a couple of others were just about glowing with happiness. Goodwin had his head down or just stared.

If Burns makes it to the majors, Nats fans are going to adopt him in the same way we adopted Michael Morse. Not the home run power, but the plain fun the kid has playing the game.

Still a long way from Harrisburg to DC, but I'm hoping.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #45: August 27, 2013, 10:06:46 PM »
Burns tonight:  4 for 5 with a double.   2 SBs    3 runs   now batting  .355

Bring him up next week.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #46: August 27, 2013, 11:40:01 PM »
freak ellsbury or choo.  Bring up Burnsy

#Burns2014

Offline welch

« Reply #47: August 28, 2013, 07:30:44 PM »
freak ellsbury or choo.  Bring up Burnsy

#Burns2014

Another wow. Imagine the energy of an OF with Burns and Bryce Harper!

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #48: August 28, 2013, 10:31:20 PM »
Burns 2- 4 with 2 SBs.

Seem to steal bases at will. Already 15 at AA.

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #49: August 30, 2013, 03:19:37 PM »
He made the Baseball America hot sheet this week!  Says he could be a future fourth outfielder.   :D