Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Billy Burns, OF  (Read 7248 times)

Offline natasaurus

Re: Follow the Prospects: Billy Burns, OF
« Reply #75: September 12, 2013, 05:14:25 PM »
Billy Burns made it onto Baseball America's minor league all star second team as the center fielder!  :D

I guess that means he had the second best year of all centerfielders behind Byron Buxton.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #76: September 14, 2013, 11:29:52 AM »
Any chance we call him up solely for pinch-running for the rest of the yar? 

I'm gonna bump this question again.  I"m sure it has to do with starting some clock or the 40 man roster or it being too late to call up players now, but I'm just curious.  Hope we aren't overlooking something here. 

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #77: September 14, 2013, 07:24:59 PM »
Too bad Burns isn't going to the AFL.  Is it because they think Goodwin has more upside and they already know what they have in Burns, or do they think Goodwin is closer to being ML ready?  It'd be nice to have Burns in the next year or two with the Nationals on the bench - we could certainly use a high percentage base stealer and high contact guy (in the Kobernus/Eury Perez role, but probably better).

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #78: September 14, 2013, 07:48:24 PM »
Too bad Burns isn't going to the AFL.  Is it because they think Goodwin has more upside and they already know what they have in Burns, or do they think Goodwin is closer to being ML ready?  It'd be nice to have Burns in the next year or two with the Nationals on the bench - we could certainly use a high percentage base stealer and high contact guy (in the Kobernus/Eury Perez role, but probably better).

Pretty sure he is going to the Fl. Instructional league though.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #79: September 15, 2013, 06:00:03 AM »
I'm gonna bump this question again.  I"m sure it has to do with starting some clock or the 40 man roster or it being too late to call up players now, but I'm just curious.  Hope we aren't overlooking something here. 
I'm guessing that with Perez and Kobernus, they have the pinch runners covered. makes sense not to add him to the 40 man before you have to.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #80: September 17, 2013, 03:30:49 PM »
From today's Baseball Prospectus:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=21821 by Bret Sayre

Billy Burns, Washington Nationals
It’s incredibly fitting that Billy Burns would have 80 speed—like the universe is giving us all a gift by matching his talent to his moniker. Of course, there are plenty of lines of work that he could have chosen that would have made his name unfortunate at best. It’s not the greatest name for a fire fighter, and it may be among the world’s worst pictures star names. But he doesn’t have to worry about either of those things (as far as I/we know).

At first glance, you would think that a hitter who stole more bases per game than the revered Billy Hamilton would be more well known and loved, but there are legitimate reasons why this is unlikely to work at the major-league level. The fact that he only accumulated 17 extra-base hits in 121 games, while having that impact-level speed, should tell you a lot about how much pop he has in his bat. For a reference point, when Dee Gordon played a full-season in Double-A, he had 29 extra-base hits in 133 games. He’s a slap hitter who can get off-balance and exploited by soft and spinning stuff. And while the approach is good, he is unlikely to more than a spare outfielder.

With that said, even fourth outfielders who have the type of speed that Burns has are certainly worth owning in deeper rotisserie formats. Just look at a guy like Tony Campana to see the value that having that singular tool can provide. But outside of these deep rotisserie leagues, Burns is best left on the waiver wire.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #81: September 17, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »
Billy Hamilton is the same. He's nothing more than a speedy 4th OFer.

He had 28 XBHs in 123 games in AAA this season.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Champs!
« Reply #82: September 17, 2013, 05:41:48 PM »
You're right its not like Hamilton had 38xbh in 2012.

Offline sph274

« Reply #83: September 17, 2013, 06:25:53 PM »
burns is also a year older and in AA. Hamilton is a completely different prospect

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #84: September 17, 2013, 07:09:28 PM »
No way. Hamilton differs from Billy Burns based on hype and the fact he used to play in the middle infield. There's not much more to it than than. Conservative scouts, like Keith Law (and I'm not.a fanboy) have been questioning Hamilton's ceiling for over a year. Its fair to say they're similar prospects, even if you like Hamilton over Burns at this point. Its no more than a 60/40 race.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #85: September 17, 2013, 07:14:25 PM »
Also, Hamilton OPSed like 650 and hit 250 at AAA this year. Its not like he's dominating higher levels a year younger. Its also not like Billy Burns couldn't fill the pinch runner role Hamilton's filling right now. I don't see much to separate them - they're both contact guys with good walk rates who'll make or miss depending on whether they can play plus defense in CF and not get the bats knocked out of their hands. And those questions are still open on both guys above AA.

Offline welch

« Reply #86: October 01, 2013, 11:19:10 PM »
Burns starts the season in AAA to prepare. Play LF with Eury Perez in CF. That leaves Span, Corey Brown, and Perez ahead of Burns.A good problem to have

Online imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
« Reply #87: October 02, 2013, 08:48:03 AM »
Burns starts the season in AAA to prepare. Play LF with Eury Perez in CF. That leaves Span, Corey Brown, and Perez ahead of Burns.A good problem to have

i wonder how much longer we hold on to Brown.  Would he be rule-5 eligible?

Offline blue911

« Reply #88: October 02, 2013, 09:01:03 AM »
i wonder how much longer we hold on to Brown.  Would he be rule-5 eligible?

He's on the 40-Man roster. If they take him off, he would have to pass through the normal waiver process.

Offline welch

« Reply #89: October 02, 2013, 07:19:44 PM »
My hunch is that the team would have used Brown more often if they thought he had a future in DC. Maybe that gets decided in April?

Online varoadking

• This is Howie do it...
« Reply #90: December 11, 2013, 08:39:20 PM »

IBTL