Author Topic: Follow the Non-Prospects: Danny Espinosa, 2B  (Read 25085 times)

Offline PC

0 for 5, 2K

Now batting .100

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Not easy to reconstruct your batting stance and approach from 3 years ago when you are doing it against AAA pitching.  I suppose it is easier to do than against MLB pitching.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Bewildering. Another couple weeks of this and they should declare him hurt for the season. Let him rehab in Florida.

Online HalfSmokes

He has to know his career is slipping away,  either get the surgery,  or ask to rehab.  Much more if this,  and he's looking at a minor league invite to Houston next spring. 

Offline houston-nat

He has to know his career is slipping away,  either get the surgery,  or ask to rehab.  Much more if this,  and he's looking at a minor league invite to Houston next spring. 
Uh, he'd actually fit right into the Houston Astros starting lineup right now. Their shortstop is Marwin Gonzalez, their strikeout rate is the highest in the majors, and their preferred means of scoring is homers.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Uh, he'd actually fit right into the Houston Astros starting lineup right now. Their shortstop is Marwin Gonzalez, their strikeout rate is the highest in the majors, and their preferred means of scoring is homers.
Willing to bet Bo Porter would absolutely love to have a ~3 WAR second baseman (when healthy) that he is so familiar with.

Offline houston-nat

Willing to bet Bo Porter would absolutely love to have a ~3 WAR second baseman (when healthy) that he is so familiar with.
Notice I said shortstop... nothing is gonna displace Jose Altuve, The Man, The Legend, The Pint-Sized Superhero.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Notice I said shortstop... nothing is gonna displace Jose Altuve, The Man, The Legend, The Pint-Sized Superhero.

(Image removed from quote.)
Forgot Altuve was a 2B.  For some reason I've always thought of him as a shortstop.  In any case, Danny's natural position is short so he'd be just fine there too.

Offline houston-nat

Heh, no problem, it would be unsurprising if I'm the only active Astros fan on this board. There was that guy who joined after they moved the team to the AL; not sure if he's around.

Offline hammondsnats

TRADE

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Danny 0-3 with 2 Ks tonight, now batting .116.  Wow.

Offline Terps and Nats

• Wake me when the Braves series is over
lets try AA

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Down to .114 now with 3 Ks tonight, giving him 27 in 43 at bats :shock:  That goes with 5 hits and 3 walks.

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
Down to .114 now with 3 Ks tonight, giving him 27 in 43 at bats :shock:  That goes with 5 hits and 3 walks.

Wait.  He has 27 K's and 5 hits??

Offline Mr Clean

Calling Dr. Andrews.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile

Ultimately 27 in 44 AB (grounded into DP in his fourth and final trip to the plate) - got home from Nats Park last night in time to catch this on the post-match radio show.

Can't recall seeing someone on a team I follow fall so hard so fast...what is it? A technical (swing et al) issue? A confidence issue? Trying to 'macho it' through an injury for which he should really seek treatment? Some combination of the preceding?

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Ultimately 27 in 44 AB (grounded into DP in his fourth and final trip to the plate) - got home from Nats Park last night in time to catch this on the post-match radio show.

Can't recall seeing someone on a team I follow fall so hard so fast...what is it? A technical (swing et al) issue? A confidence issue? Trying to 'macho it' through an injury for which he should really seek treatment? Some combination of the preceding?
I'm completely convinced it's just the rotator cuff.  His numbers before and after tell the story.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Adam LaRoche said it out loud when Danny got sent down. He said he remembered what it felt like to not have any pain, but to not be able to swing the bat where you wanted it to go.

I'm completely convinced it's just the rotator cuff.  His numbers before and after tell the story.

Offline NJ Ave

The numbers, as you say, tell the story:

Danny 2012 pre-injury: .258/.323/.423 - an improvement on his career numbers to that point and actually a valuable hitter
Danny 2012 post-injury: .181/.261/.277
Danny 2013: .158/.193/.272

Offline NJ Ave

That's not to say I don't blame Danny here. He absolutely has hurt the team in his stubbornness not to sit himself. But people are giving up too quickly on him. If he and the team can finally get him to accept the surgery, I have faith that he'll be a valuable player here for a long time with Rendon at 3B and Zimmerman at 1B.

Online HalfSmokes

That's not to say I don't blame Danny here. He absolutely has hurt the team in his stubbornness not to sit himself. But people are giving up too quickly on him. If he and the team can finally get him to accept the surgery, I have faith that he'll be a valuable player here for a long time with Rendon at 3B and Zimmerman at 1B.

That would be an enormous net negative for the team, even a healthy Espinosa bat is nowhere near a decent first baseman's bat - I was against the Rendon to second move because of his health, but if he can stay health and play a serviceable second, why move him?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
It's the manager's job to make the lineup. Not the players. Blaming a player in this situation is nuts.

Offline NJ Ave

Danny has not had a surgery to correct something that is hurting himself and the team for god knows what reason. He could have had this surgically repaired last offseason and been back by spring training. He could have had it at the end of April when he could have returned to full strength by the playoffs (PLAYOFFS? You're talking about PLAYOFFS??). He has not done so.

So yes, I blame him for wasting a year of his baseball career floundering around when the team needs him at full strength. To the extent he "didn't know" he needed surgery or thought he could rehab the injury, that's just his own negligence - he has a guy who plays right the hell next to him who had the same exact injury 18 months earlier.

Offline NJ Ave

That would be an enormous net negative for the team, even a healthy Espinosa bat is nowhere near a decent first baseman's bat - I was against the Rendon to second move because of his health, but if he can stay health and play a serviceable second, why move him?

Because it might make the most sense with the assets the team has. And it's not easy to make a decent first base bat appear. The two best bats available in free agency last offseason were LaRoche and Swisher, neither of whom is on pace for an average major league season (2 WAR). The year before was Prince Fielder and a bunch of stiffs. I think you're overestimating how easy it is to find a bat.

If Skole pans out as a real slugger, maybe you trade Espinosa. But the internal options are not looking so great right now.