Author Topic: Follow the Non-Prospects: Danny Espinosa, 2B  (Read 25088 times)

Offline MorseTheHorse

Re: Follow the Non-Prospects: Danny Espinosa, 2B
« Reply #350: August 19, 2013, 08:09:07 AM »
At this point you have to assume Espinosa was a cheater using steroids/HGH/something else and just got scared and stopped using.  There is no other explanation I can see if he doesn't think the surgery will help. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #351: August 19, 2013, 08:39:28 AM »
At this point you have to assume Espinosa was a cheater using steroids/HGH/something else and just got scared and stopped using.  There is no other explanation I can see if he doesn't think the surgery will help. 

Hmmmm ... interesting thought

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #352: August 19, 2013, 08:46:23 AM »

I think the most likely explanation is that he worries that taking time off to recover from surgery will mean that teams will pass on him afterwards, so he's been rolling the dice that he'll recover without it.  He's a great defensive player, but, even in the best of times, an average to below average hitter. There are a million great defensive players that can't hit.

LaRoche, right after Espinosa was demoted, said that he knew what it felt like not to have any shoulder pain, but to be unable to swing the bat.

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #353: August 19, 2013, 09:54:59 AM »
I think the most likely explanation is that he worries that taking time off to recover from surgery will mean that teams will pass on him afterwards, so he's been rolling the dice that he'll recover without it.  He's a great defensive player, but, even in the best of times, an average to below average hitter. There are a million great defensive players that can't hit.

LaRoche, right after Espinosa was demoted, said that he knew what it felt like not to have any shoulder pain, but to be unable to swing the bat.

So you think he would rather toil away in the minors instead of correcting a known problem (assuming it is his shoulder?).  Or does he think that with his mind blowing numbers in AAA someone will give him a shot in the show again?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #354: August 19, 2013, 09:59:44 AM »
So you think he would rather toil away in the minors instead of correcting a known problem (assuming it is his shoulder?).  Or does he think that with his mind blowing numbers in AAA someone will give him a shot in the show again?

at the beginning of the season, the equation was different- he was in the majors and the top organizational prospect was in the minors. He may have felt that he had a better chance of keeping his job by playing this year rather than creating an opening. It turns out that he couldn't hit this year, but if he got surgery now, would they even tenure him a contract if he was going to miss all of next year?

Offline TigerFan

« Reply #355: August 19, 2013, 10:12:15 AM »
at the beginning of the season, the equation was different- he was in the majors and the top organizational prospect was in the minors. He may have felt that he had a better chance of keeping his job by playing this year rather than creating an opening. It turns out that he couldn't hit this year, but if he got surgery now, would they even tenure him a contract if he was going to miss all of next year?

Good question.  I would also ask if he thinks he will be offered a contract to continue doing what he's doing?  I agree at as long as he was starting in the majors there is no need for surgery.  Once it became clear that he isn't MLB caliber because of something holding you back, to me, you need to change that something. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #356: August 19, 2013, 10:13:41 AM »
I can't blame him if he isn't being logical at this point- he's watching his career slip away, I can't imagine that is conducive to reasoned decisions

Offline blue911

« Reply #357: August 19, 2013, 10:30:48 AM »
As of today, he doesn't have enough service time to be arbitration eligible and 2 more option years.

Online Slateman

« Reply #358: August 19, 2013, 10:52:07 AM »

He would still be paid under the rules of the CBA. And if they didn't tenure him after that, he'd have teams lining up with one year deals. If he doesn't know this, he needs to ask his agent. Frankly, he's either afraid of the knife or been taking PEDs. Or he's just incredibly stupid.

As of today, he doesn't have enough service time to be arbitration eligible and 2 more option years.
Which eliminates him getting dumped all together.

Even if he was out a year for recovery, he'd still have a shot at making the roster the next year. Zim will be on his way to first base, Rendon will be on his way to third, and we don't have a legit second baseman back. If the Nats can get back the .737 OPS of 2011, it would be a bonified victory. And that possibility is well worth keeping Espinosa on the books. If he could duplicate 2011's hitting performance with 2012's or 2013's fielding, he'd be a 4 WAR player. Hit him 7th and we're in business.

But this has to happen now. Seriously, the club needs to have a Come to Jesus Meeting with this guy. Not just Rizzo and Davey. Get Laroche, Werth, Desmond, the doctors, and his agent in there. Break it down for him, simple like. If they have to, get him a contract that guarentees those two years so he doesn't have to worry about not getting paid or getting medical treatment. But he has to walk away from that meeting knowing two things:

1. He is not getting a September call up. He will finish the season in Triple A.
2. If h cannot out perform his previous two seasons at the MLB during Spring Training, he will not be on the 25 man roster.

Despite Rendon's defensive issues, his bat is far better than Danny's and we can live with less defense if it means getting much better offense. If he wants to make the big league club, he has to prove he can hit well. The only way to do that is to get his shoulder fixed now.

Offline TigerFan

« Reply #359: August 19, 2013, 11:23:29 AM »
He would still be paid under the rules of the CBA. And if they didn't tenure him after that, he'd have teams lining up with one year deals. If he doesn't know this, he needs to ask his agent. Frankly, he's either afraid of the knife or been taking PEDs. Or he's just incredibly stupid.

I agree with your last two sentences.  He would get one year deals for sure.  He would take one, hit .180 in the minors and the what?  Another one years deal?  To hit .180 in the minors? 

Online Slateman

« Reply #360: August 19, 2013, 11:34:02 AM »
I agree with your last two sentences.  He would get one year deals for sure.  He would take one, hit .180 in the minors and the what?  Another one years deal?  To hit .180 in the minors? 
Right now, he's going to be playing in the minors. He obviously can't hit. I seriously doubt it's PEDs, just based on the fact that there is no way someone that young has that kind of a drop off. I truly believe that it's an injury issue, similar to Laroche last season. He's been on a downward trend since August of 2012. That's not just PED based. That's an injury that needs to be fixed. Even if he doesn't want surgery, he needs to stop playing now and devote himself totally to rehabbing.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #361: August 19, 2013, 12:00:50 PM »
I think he can't hit, period, and he has a weakened shoulder. The hitting was masked because once in a while he would hit a home run, adding to his total bases, but nobody stikes out that often and keeps a job.

I agree with the "come to jesus" meeting. If he refuses the surgery, he stays in Syracuse or drops to Harrisburg. You are worth what you contribute, and Espi adds nothing. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #362: August 19, 2013, 12:53:30 PM »
Eh, Espinosa actually had a nice walk rate in 2011. His OPS from that  year would put him in the upper third to upper half of second basemen in the majors this year. That plus some amazing defense would make him a good player. But he has to fix his shoulder first.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #363: August 22, 2013, 07:41:30 AM »
The Player Once Known as Espinosa hitting .195 in last ten games. In six of those games he went 0 - 4. 17 Ks.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #364: August 24, 2013, 10:38:20 PM »
Seriously - send him to AA.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #365: August 25, 2013, 04:09:56 AM »
I honestly feel sorry for the guy. He may or may not be trying his hardest but to see a guy who we "thought" was our 2b solution to be sent down after a couple of years and then start to play terribly is just brutal. I mean, .206 in AAA with a lack of power? Come on. That's harsh.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #366: August 25, 2013, 11:19:09 AM »
He used to be one of my favorite players, but look - I'd imagine a part of it is thinking he's too good for AAA, that he was wronged. It seems like he should just get this surgey and focus on rehabbing.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #367: August 28, 2013, 01:21:34 PM »
Borb Lorbnitz says -
The Nationals are in the process of deciding whether or not they will include struggling infielder Danny Espinosa in this year's crop of September call-ups, and MLB.com's Bill Ladson reports that the team is looking to trade the 26-year-old.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/nationals-trying-to-danny-espinosa.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #368: August 28, 2013, 02:38:24 PM »
makes sense, give him a fresh start somewhere.  I'd bet a club like the Cubs, Houston, or Miami would take a look at him.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #369: August 28, 2013, 02:43:45 PM »
Yeah, me too. He remains one of my favorite players (performance not withstanding).

We keep hearing there's something wrong with his shoulder that surgery will fix. Is that a myth? Is this really who he is? It's too damn bad, though.

I honestly feel sorry for the guy. He may or may not be trying his hardest but to see a guy who we "thought" was our 2b solution to be sent down after a couple of years and then start to play terribly is just brutal. I mean, .206 in AAA with a lack of power? Come on. That's harsh.

Offline sph274

« Reply #370: August 28, 2013, 02:49:32 PM »
Yeah, me too. He remains one of my favorite players (performance not withstanding).

We keep hearing there's something wrong with his shoulder that surgery will fix. Is that a myth? Is this really who he is? It's too damn bad, though.

idk nobody has said anything about if for months. It seems like he would have done it if it was still an issue.

Offline PC

« Reply #371: August 28, 2013, 05:18:20 PM »
Trading him at his lowest possible value is a terrible idea.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #372: August 28, 2013, 05:28:24 PM »

Who says he has hit bottom?

Let's unload him so we can all stop talking about him...

Online Slateman

« Reply #373: August 28, 2013, 06:15:22 PM »
Agreed

Who says he has hit bottom?

Let's unload him so we can all stop talking about him...
Honestly, I don't know how he can get lower. I'd rather wait till ST to see if his shoulder is healthy.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #374: August 28, 2013, 06:20:59 PM »
Honestly, I don't know how he can get lower. I'd rather wait till ST to see if his shoulder is healthy.

+1

I can't imagine we'd get anything of value for him at this time.   Let him "heal", come back in ST and see what he can do.