Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Steven Souza, OF  (Read 20036 times)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Re: Follow the Prospects: Steven Souza, OF
« Reply #100: June 03, 2014, 06:43:26 PM »
Call Souza back up and bench McClouth. He was signed to be a bench player, after all. Who cares if he's backing up Harper or Souza?

Offline blue911

« Reply #101: June 03, 2014, 07:12:54 PM »
Simple answer is, Rizzo is not Beane. Never played and won't admit mistakes. 
Souza's bat is alive as hell and Rizzo saw this in ST.  Trouble is, he had his White Whale, Werth, Harper and his $5 million signee. Now he is missing Harper but needs to correct his 3rd base mistake by putting it in LF.  So...no Souza in DC.
Maybe Billy B or someone else objective will trade for SS.

Rizzo played

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #102: June 03, 2014, 07:19:18 PM »
Would still rather see Souza in lf, zimm at third and Rendon at 2nd versus what we hav now

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #103: June 04, 2014, 09:10:56 AM »
Another HR last night for Souza.

.366/.469/.590 (1.058 OPS) in 134 ABs.

Offline vernon337

« Reply #104: June 05, 2014, 11:56:17 AM »
2 for 4 last night (both singles)  BA  is up to .370, OBP up to .470.  His BABIP is .419.  His walk rate is twice as high as Span's.  He looks like the new prototype for a leadoff hitter.

I have this bad feeling that he's going to be used as trade material, and a few years from now, when Werth is gone and Span is gone, we'll be watching him be a consistent top-ten OBP guy for an opponent. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #105: June 05, 2014, 11:59:02 AM »
2 for 4 last night (both singles)  BA  is up to .370, OBP up to .470.  His BABIP is .419.  His walk rate is twice as high as Span's.  He looks like the new prototype for a leadoff hitter.

I have this bad feeling that he's going to be used as trade material, and a few years from now, when Werth is gone and Span is gone, we'll be watching him be a consistent top-ten OBP guy for an opponent. 

Who cares? We'll have a WS championship by then. On top of that, Harper will be in RF, Goodwin will be in LF, and Michael Taylor will be the best defensive CFer in baseball.

#Nattitude

Offline vernon337

« Reply #106: June 05, 2014, 10:38:05 PM »
One for two tonight (single), with two walks.  One was an intentional walk, which brought Tyler Moore to the plate.  He hit a grand slam.

Souza's OBP is now .476, according to my back-of-the-envelope figgerin'.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #107: June 06, 2014, 09:30:45 AM »
so, does he get any shot this year? Clearly, he's not going to get better in AAA.

Offline Salamander Man

« Reply #108: June 06, 2014, 09:33:35 AM »
Hopefully not bc it would be bc of an injury or 2, but hope he can come up in September and play well in a small sample and give them some consideration for next year. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #109: June 06, 2014, 09:41:07 AM »
Hopefully not bc it would be bc of an injury or 2, but hope he can come up in September and play well in a small sample and give them some consideration for next year. 

we have a third baseman learning left at the moment, beside, use what ever minor league equivalent you want, and Souza still comes out looking pretty good

Offline Salamander Man

« Reply #110: June 06, 2014, 09:47:01 AM »
we have a third baseman learning left at the moment, beside, use what ever minor league equivalent you want, and Souza still comes out looking pretty good

I like Sousa a lot, but I really put not stock in minor league equivalencies.  The OF is full over 3 win players or higher.  I just find it hard to believe he would be at that level right off the bat.  If were weren't a contending team, it would make sense to have him up competing every day; but for now, getting to play everyday in the minors is probably more beneficial than spot starts/pinch hitting in the majors. 

Im rooting for Souza though.  I know it will never happen, but I would love if we found a way to replace Werth with Souza next year (assuming Souza is still crushing)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #111: June 06, 2014, 10:55:27 AM »
I like Sousa a lot, but I really put not stock in minor league equivalencies.  The OF is full over 3 win players or higher.  I just find it hard to believe he would be at that level right off the bat.  If were weren't a contending team, it would make sense to have him up competing every day; but for now, getting to play everyday in the minors is probably more beneficial than spot starts/pinch hitting in the majors. 

Im rooting for Souza though.  I know it will never happen, but I would love if we found a way to replace Werth with Souza next year (assuming Souza is still crushing)

the one caveat I have is that I see guys like Walters and Moore come here and do nothing, then they go back to AAA and rake.  But I still think Souza can play, and i'd rather see Zimm at 3B, Souza in LF, and Rendon at 2B.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #112: June 12, 2014, 08:18:12 PM »
2 for 2 so far tonight.  Batting .376

Will they call him up if he is batting .400? 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #113: June 12, 2014, 08:34:18 PM »

Free Rick Short!

:old:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/shortri01.shtml

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #114: June 12, 2014, 11:18:54 PM »

Nope, and even if they do, he'll just rot on the bench. I wonder how many teams have started looking to deal for him thus far? Probably a few.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #115: June 13, 2014, 08:27:41 AM »
If it gets to the point where the offense is down, they think RZ can handle 3d, and Harper is still out, then you may see Souza up for a couple of weeks, perhaps for the Barves series, if they want to show case him or get him a little experience in case of another injury. 

Has he played in CF or is Goodwin there full time?

Offline Salamander Man

« Reply #116: June 13, 2014, 09:14:50 AM »
If it gets to the point where the offense is down, they think RZ can handle 3d, and Harper is still out, then you may see Souza up for a couple of weeks, perhaps for the Barves series, if they want to show case him or get him a little experience in case of another injury. 

Has he played in CF or is Goodwin there full time?

He's played 3 innings in CF. 

EDIT, sorry that was in Wash.  He's played 12 games in center

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #117: June 13, 2014, 08:29:52 PM »
Hit his 8th HR tonight. Batting .375. So odd that he is not getting any attention. Neither from the Nationals or any minor league publications.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #118: June 13, 2014, 09:17:14 PM »
Hit his 8th HR tonight. Batting .375. So odd that he is not getting any attention. Neither from the Nationals or any minor league publications.
He just doesn't measure up to Greg Dobbs.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #119: June 13, 2014, 09:23:39 PM »

once publications overlook a guy, I think it takes a lot for them to reevaluate especially for someone already in the upper minors. Before this year, BA had him 10th in our system, and I don't recall him being on anyone's radar

Offline Slateman

« Reply #120: June 13, 2014, 11:38:00 PM »
I think we're all making the rather broad assumption that Souza can come in and keep hitting if he gets a bench role on the MLB club. Moore couldn't. Walters didn't.  Why are we assuming that Souza can come in and be a bench player.

The time to call up Souza was weeks ago when he could play everyday.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #121: June 14, 2014, 01:03:25 PM »
I think we're all making the rather broad assumption that Souza can come in and keep hitting if he gets a bench role on the MLB club. Moore couldn't. Walters didn't.  Why are we assuming that Souza can come in and be a bench player.

The time to call up Souza was weeks ago when he could play everyday.

Why can't he play every day?  We'd make the same moves one would assume we make when Harper comes back. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #122: June 14, 2014, 01:14:10 PM »
Why can't he play every day?  We'd make the same moves one would assume we make when Harper comes back. 

If he were to be called up, where would you play him, right now?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #123: June 14, 2014, 01:30:16 PM »
Because that means Zimmerman at third and the Nationals are avoiding that at all costs.

Offline blue911

« Reply #124: June 14, 2014, 02:00:06 PM »
If he were to be called up, where would you play him, right now?

He could be Hairston's understudy