Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Steven Souza, OF  (Read 19980 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Follow the Prospects: Steven Souza, OF
« Reply #75: May 24, 2014, 11:22:30 PM »
For crying out loud, call the man up.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #76: May 24, 2014, 11:31:26 PM »
Why bother? We have Mcsuck and candy ass Dobbs. Rizzo is too arrogant to do the right thing. He wants to be proven right at all costs

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #77: May 25, 2014, 07:56:38 AM »
Souza is having an absurd season in AAA. OPS near 1.000.

He should be here over McLouth but Rizzo freaked up and won't eat the money.

He could option Moore back or get rid of Hairston. Mclouth is here for at least the end of this season and until midway next year. Too costly of a mistake. Remember that we didn't get rid of Tracy last year and he ONLY cost us a mil.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #78: May 25, 2014, 09:41:31 PM »
I saw Souza late last season at Harrisburg. He and Burns were the most energetic players on the team. Souza is not as fast as BUrns, but he hits harder...and he's pretty quick. Call him up. Play him every day in LF. Maybe Moore will keep hitting if he starts, but Souza deserves to play.

Online imref

« Reply #79: May 26, 2014, 10:34:29 PM »
Today's outing: HR #5 (2-4, 2R, 2RBI, 1BB, now batting .358) 

CALL HIM UP!!!!

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #80: May 27, 2014, 07:39:34 AM »
you gotta call him up

Online imref

« Reply #81: May 27, 2014, 08:41:21 AM »
#freesouza

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #82: May 29, 2014, 12:53:57 PM »
Today so far: 2 for 3   Avg. now at .362

Yet Greg Dobbs is here.

Offline blue911

« Reply #83: May 29, 2014, 12:59:28 PM »
Today so far: 2 for 3   Avg. now at .362

Yet Greg Dobbs is here.

As much as I hate Dobbs, he isn't the problem. Moore shouldn't be here, he serves no purpose and can't hit off the bench. Call up Souza and pair him with McLouth. If McLouth shows that the recent surge is a mirage then give him left field full time.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #84: May 29, 2014, 01:16:58 PM »
As much as I hate Dobbs, he isn't the problem. Moore shouldn't be here, he serves no purpose and can't hit off the bench. Call up Souza and pair him with McLouth. If McLouth shows that the recent surge is a mirage then give him left field full time.
Neither one of them should be there.

Rangers called about Moore. Trade him to them. He serves no purpose on this team anymore.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #85: May 29, 2014, 07:24:36 PM »
3 for 5, up to .364.  Languishing in Syracuse.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #86: May 29, 2014, 07:45:24 PM »
3 for 5, up to .364.  Languishing in Syracuse.

I know it's just AAA and small sample size but still pretty amusing:

Steven Souza: .364/.460/.559 (1.020 OPS)

Gregory Polanco: .355/.419/.570 (.989 OPS)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #87: May 30, 2014, 08:51:47 AM »
Thinking someone should hire a marching ban with a big Souzaphone section.  Have them circle the Park playing Souza marches and have a bunch of batton twirlers in front them with a banner that says, "Souza Fan Club."

Online welch

« Reply #88: June 01, 2014, 05:02:06 PM »
Souza went 2-for-3 today, dropping his average to .359. RBI, 2 BB, 1 K, 2 runs scored. Playing CF for Syracuse. Rizzo says, "When Souza gets above .400 we'll consider calling him up".

[Actually, I just made up the quote...but the stats are real.]

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #89: June 02, 2014, 10:22:21 AM »
Souza went 2-for-3 today, dropping his average to .359. RBI, 2 BB, 1 K, 2 runs scored. Playing CF for Syracuse. Rizzo says, "When Souza gets above .400 we'll consider calling him up".

[Actually, I just made up the quote...but the stats are real.]
2-for-3 shouldn't have dropped his average if my math is correct.

Offline Salamander Man

« Reply #90: June 02, 2014, 12:17:01 PM »
I don't have a problem with McLouth and Hairston on the roster, but any chance to drop Dobbs would be nice. 

Online imref

« Reply #91: June 02, 2014, 01:18:06 PM »
I don't have a problem with McLouth and Hairston on the roster, but any chance to drop Dobbs would be nice. 

and Moore really should be back in AAA getting regular at bats (where I suspect he's heading tomorrow when Zimmerman is activated).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #92: June 02, 2014, 02:27:10 PM »

This is legend, logic doesn't matter here.

Offline blue911

« Reply #93: June 02, 2014, 03:21:25 PM »
This is legend, logic doesn't matter here.

The reason we don't have .400 hitters anymore.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #94: June 02, 2014, 03:54:54 PM »
and Moore really should be back in AAA getting regular at bats (where I suspect he's heading tomorrow when Zimmerman is activated).
All Moore needs is regular at-bats! He doesn't suck! Really! [/delusional fan]

Online welch

« Reply #95: June 02, 2014, 05:12:17 PM »

Either I missed a game, or the Syracuse stats are off. As of a minute ago, the Syracuse site says he's batting .359 with an OPS of 1.007.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #96: June 02, 2014, 08:08:25 PM »
Souza with HR #6.

Not quite good enough for the Nationals though.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #97: June 03, 2014, 08:18:19 AM »
All Moore needs is regular at-bats! He doesn't suck! Really! [/delusional fan]

When he gets regular at bats, he doesnt' suck

Offline vernon337

« Reply #98: June 03, 2014, 03:41:31 PM »
I thought this passage from a Joe Posnanski article on the concepts behind the Oakland A's success was relevant to the Souza situation.

"The A's called Donaldson up for a trial in 2010 ... and he bombed. It was only 34 plate appearances, but he looked helpless at the plate. He hit .156 and left indelible images in the minds of the A's decision makers.

Of course, it was only 34 plate appearances. The A's are too shrewd to put too much stock in that; most teams are. They gave Donaldson another chance at the start of the 2012 season ... and their image of Donaldson being overmatched was confirmed. After 100 plate appearances through June, Donaldson was hitting .156 with one walk. That would be: ONE WALK. It was over. The A's sent Donaldson down and, at age 26, there seemed no reason to believe he would be back.

"One of the things that people forget about Billy," Zaidi says of Beane, "is that he played in the Major Leagues. People refer to his failings as a player a lot, but he reached the Major Leagues a few different times; you have to be a great player to get to the Majors. People forget that, and I think one of the most misunderstood parts of Billy is that he still sees the game as a player. That is a part of him."

In other words, Billy Beane's first reaction to Donaldson is the same reaction almost anyone around baseball would have: Donaldson can't play. But then something happened -- Donaldson went back to the minor leagues and, in 2012, killed the ball for two months.

System One might ask: So what? You saw the kid with your own eyes -- he can't play. And baseball history is littered with players who destroyed Class AAA pitching and could not hit at the Major League level -- it has happened so often that those players have their own name, Quad-A players.

But here's the point: That A's try not to believe in fuzzy concepts like the Quad-A player. True, some great Class AAA hitters failed multiple times in the Major Leagues. But the A's think many more were simply written off too soon. "Billy has us ask one question all the time," Zaidi says. "In this case: If Josh Donaldson were on another team, would he be the sort of player we would really want to trade for? The answer was yes."

The A's called Donaldson back up in August and made him the everyday third baseman. He hit .290 with power the rest of the way ... and he has been one of the best players in baseball ever since.

Are the A's the only team in baseball smart enough to put away personal feelings and popular groupthink and trust in overwhelming Class AAA numbers? No. Other teams would have been smart enough to give Donaldson another chance. But only they can answer the simple question: Would they?"

Here's the link. (There's also a section on Tommy Milone.)
http://www.nbcsports.com/baseball/mlb/oakland-way

The thing about Souza is that it doesn't matter if you already have three guys in the outfield who are doing okay (and Span isn't even doing that).  Souza has shown his skills for three straight years.  He's leading the International league in  OBP & Slugging Pct., so he's leading in OBP by 74 points.  Oh, and he's leading in batting average. He has as many walks as strikeouts, and his K rate is down around 16%. 

There's a damn good chance he would be a significant improvement to the lineup.  There's a better-than-damn-good-chance he would be an improvement to the bench.  Let him platoon in the outfield and see just how good he can be.  Don't waste the entire year with h im languishing at AAA, only to find out next year that he was ready to contribute. 

I sure would like to know what Rizzo's thinking is.  I know you guys have your ideas, but I don't necessarily agree.  I wonder if he's close to pulling the trigger.

(The  other thing I wonder is when all these experts who rank the MLB prospects will realize what's going on in Syracuse.)

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #99: June 03, 2014, 06:41:11 PM »
Simple answer is, Rizzo is not Beane. Never played and won't admit mistakes. 
Souza's bat is alive as hell and Rizzo saw this in ST.  Trouble is, he had his White Whale, Werth, Harper and his $5 million signee. Now he is missing Harper but needs to correct his 3rd base mistake by putting it in LF.  So...no Souza in DC.
Maybe Billy B or someone else objective will trade for SS.