Author Topic: Computer problem= Help Requested.  (Read 24834 times)

Offline saltydad

Computer problem= Help Requested.
« Topic Start: May 15, 2013, 04:42:59 PM »
For a few days now I can't get on either Firefox or IE (my backup for Microsoft Update). However, my programs that need to go online, such as Thunderbird and updates of others, have no problem. I'm thinking that I have a problem with FB, as that's my homepage. I got on this time because Zone Alarm took me online for an update. Weird. Fellow at my fish store (pet) who is somewhat of a geek said it sounded like I've been hijacked, and that there's not much to do. I've run MalwareBytes Free, IOBit Malware, and the Zone Alarm scans without finding anything. I'd love to be able to get back online routinely. Thanks. BTW, if you have a suggestion, send me an email at hgorinson@verizon.net. Thanks.

Offline Coladar

Re: Computer problem= Help Requested.
« Reply #1: May 15, 2013, 05:36:02 PM »
Tried disabling ZoneAlarm? That'd be #1 with a bullet for me, a program which controls other programs internet access on a case by case basis = sounds like your problem.

What OS? Newer ones with Microsoft's firewall, if it's not disabled and running concurrently with ZA can cause problems.

If, somehow someway, two browsers got screwed up running a proxy or something.. Unlikely. But it could cause what you're describing. Also if you've updated your router's firmware or hardware or tweaked with the settings lately, it could cause a targeted connectivity issue like this.

About the only thing I would rule out is mal-ware/hackerz. Highly, highly unlikely. Regardless, fish boy should stick to selling fish. 'You're infected, but tough luck. Enjoy having hackerz racking up your charge cards, loser!' If it is, which I feel safe saying it isn't, I can only shake my head at advice saying there's 'nothing you can do.' There's plenty you can do, and nothing that can't be removed.

Try installing another browser, see what happens? Chrome, Opera, whatever. Might focus us more on if it's a browser/www issue only, or just a Firefox and IE only. I'll try to remember to pop back in here later tonight should you have further data/questions.

Right now, on very limited information, I'd bet the farm it's coming from Zone Alarm. So focus there first, imo.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2: May 15, 2013, 08:36:55 PM »
I had some minor problems with a new version of IE.  I just deleted my default website and it took care of the problem for me.  The default had been Yahoo.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #3: May 16, 2013, 03:36:57 PM »
You'd rule out malware? It's the first thing I'd check for. I've had redirect viruses that behaved exactly like this.

Tried disabling ZoneAlarm? That'd be #1 with a bullet for me, a program which controls other programs internet access on a case by case basis = sounds like your problem.

What OS? Newer ones with Microsoft's firewall, if it's not disabled and running concurrently with ZA can cause problems.

If, somehow someway, two browsers got screwed up running a proxy or something.. Unlikely. But it could cause what you're describing. Also if you've updated your router's firmware or hardware or tweaked with the settings lately, it could cause a targeted connectivity issue like this.

About the only thing I would rule out is mal-ware/hackerz. Highly, highly unlikely. Regardless, fish boy should stick to selling fish. 'You're infected, but tough luck. Enjoy having hackerz racking up your charge cards, loser!' If it is, which I feel safe saying it isn't, I can only shake my head at advice saying there's 'nothing you can do.' There's plenty you can do, and nothing that can't be removed.

Try installing another browser, see what happens? Chrome, Opera, whatever. Might focus us more on if it's a browser/www issue only, or just a Firefox and IE only. I'll try to remember to pop back in here later tonight should you have further data/questions.

Right now, on very limited information, I'd bet the farm it's coming from Zone Alarm. So focus there first, imo.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #4: May 16, 2013, 06:17:12 PM »
You'd rule out malware? It's the first thing I'd check for. I've had redirect viruses that behaved exactly like this.

Since he's already run three scans? You're right, some redirects can cause similar issues. If he installs another browser and the problem persists, I'd rule l33t hackerz back in. Right now? You'd disagree with, going off the information we know, Zone Alarm itself sounds like the most likely cause/contributing factor? It's going to be either a firewall or malware, and while I'm not familiar with either of the programs he's run, if it were worth a damn and he'd updated it, which he had to have done before doing a scan, I'll bet the farm on the former.

I don't stay up to date with this crap, because I keep my PCs locked down and secure... But I did encounter one on someone who came crying to me for help a few years back, and you didn't have zero internet. It just kept sending you to hot p0rn sites and the like. Totally disabling internet, only on browsers... That screams ZoneAlarm from my perspective and knowledge base. All the more, he got online 'this time because Zone Alarm wanted to run an update?' Zone alarm, zone alarm, zone alarm.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #5: May 16, 2013, 06:24:58 PM »
You know what? It could both, working together. Malware is attempting to redirect,and ZoneAlarm is preventing it.  As to his running three scans, how long ago did he update that freeware?

Facebook (his home page in this case)  is a classic target of misdirect attacks.

At any rate, he can't get to this website, so he's not seeing any of this. :) I emailed him.

Since he's already run three scans? You're right, some redirects can cause similar issues. If he installs another browser and the problem persists, I'd rule l33t hackerz back in. Right now? You'd disagree with, going off the information we know, Zone Alarm itself sounds like the most likely cause/contributing factor? It's going to be either a firewall or malware, and while I'm not familiar with either of the programs he's run, if it were worth a damn and he'd updated it, which he had to have done before doing a scan, I'll bet the farm on the former.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #6: May 16, 2013, 06:32:57 PM »
You know what? It could both, working together. Malware is attempting to redirect,and ZoneAlarm is preventing it.  As to his running three scans, how long ago did he update that freeware?

Facebook (his home page in this case)  is a classic target of misdirect attacks.

At any rate, he can't get to this website, so he's not seeing any of this. :) I emailed him.

Yeah, when I posted just a minute ago I realized that. I had figured yesterday he was posting from work or a tablet, then I realized he probably just jumped on here with the fluke of ZA Update and kaboom, he's sitting in silence checking his e-mail every five seconds waiting for help. Again, durr. But yeah, it could be both, sure. But it sounded like ZA before factoring in the update fluke, with it... I can't imagine it isn't. If you e-mailed him suggesting a very close look at ZA/disabling (Right click it, alt-ctrl-del task manager end ZA.exe process, uninstall, whatever) as an initial soluttion, I won't bother repeating. If not, I'll toss him one in a bit as well.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #7: May 17, 2013, 06:03:51 PM »
Got on this time by clicking Firefox, then when FB(my home page) just stopped at a blank screen, pushed my dear old wnff toolbar and here I am. 1. I always update antivirals/malware software before running the scan. Used IOBit Malware, Malwarebyte, Zone Alarm, and Avast. Removing ZoneAlarm was the 1st thing I thought of too, but no dice-didn't help.Tried replacing it with Avast Firewall- no difference. So I doubt firewall. Now that I know I can get on anywhere EXCEPT FB, think it's more of an FB problem. They have been hassling me about number of posts and new friends. Suspended me for 2 days once, but backed down when I said I only ask for friendship from someone with mutual friends, or someone FB has recommended. Am now changing my home page back to wnff.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #8: May 17, 2013, 08:44:44 PM »
I've had some facebook issues too!

Offline saltydad

« Reply #9: May 19, 2013, 11:22:56 PM »
I do want to thank all the posters for their concern and efforts. Its what makes this a great site. Now how to find out about FB. Thought if they kicked me I'd have received some notification.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #10: May 20, 2013, 09:27:13 AM »
Try accessing it from another computer first!

I do want to thank all the posters for their concern and efforts. Its what makes this a great site. Now how to find out about FB. Thought if they kicked me I'd have received some notification.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #11: May 20, 2013, 10:06:32 PM »
Finally rec'd a message that I'm banned from friending for 7 days. Why I can't even see my page is weird. And I've been having continuing 'puter problems. Finally junked Zone Alarm as my firewall even if it didn't matter before. Also changed from Firefox to IE temporarily- now I can at least get online. Maybe this is my anti FB message- drop it!!

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #12: May 20, 2013, 10:12:49 PM »
I don't know why they are banning you from friending.   I mean,  it's social media!   Doesn't make sense!

Offline saltydad

« Reply #13: May 20, 2013, 10:15:50 PM »
They said I shouldn't friend request if only 'a few' mutual friends. Most of my requests are to folks with 80+ up. Bizarre. Guess I'll just go back to gardening, watching my pond and aquariums, reading, and an ocassional ball game.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #14: May 21, 2013, 11:05:45 PM »
No!  I need to like your posts and share them

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #15: June 08, 2015, 10:59:44 AM »
I think there is a simple solution to this problem but I want to exhaust all possibilities before I have to open the box up.

Monitor is powered up.    Unit is powered up.   No image on the screen  ...   checked the plug ins, etc.    Anything else I can do before I replace cards.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #16: June 08, 2015, 11:02:04 AM »
where the cable from the monitor comes into the computer, is the card (not the connection to the cable, but the card itself) loose?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #17: June 08, 2015, 11:05:38 AM »
where the cable from the monitor comes into the computer, is the card (not the connection to the cable, but the card itself) loose?

Can I check it without opening the box?    Nothing externally appears loose.   

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #18: June 08, 2015, 11:08:09 AM »
yes, when I used to have a tower, the video card would come loose and it was usually pretty obvious (the cord would be tight to the card, and if you shook it, the card had a decent amount of movement). its a simple check. Other than that, you get into actual trouble shooting (testing a second monitor would be my first step)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #19: June 08, 2015, 11:11:18 AM »
yes, when I used to have a tower, the video card would come loose and it was usually pretty obvious (the cord would be tight to the card, and if you shook it, the card had a decent amount of movement). its a simple check. Other than that, you get into actual trouble shooting (testing a second monitor would be my first step)

Thanks HS.    I'll give it a shot.   I have another monitor and I was putting off going through that exercise but my external options are running out.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #20: June 08, 2015, 12:36:25 PM »
Brought down another monitor and it works.   It's an old monitor with a different plug configuration and entry point.    The missus claims the monitor that doesn't work should show as HDMI and not PC in the setup.   It won't accept instructions to put it in HDMI mode.    I don't think she slept well and I don't wanna challenge her recollections.    :)     However, the old monitor setup shows it's in PC mode   ....  and it works.     I'm narrowing it down to A) the monitor or possibly B) connection point at the box for the monitor that doesn't work.    Looks like the cards are OK since I am getting an image.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #21: June 08, 2015, 01:56:41 PM »
Now, there's a message on the latest connected monitor that indicates it does not support the format, resolution mismatch, etc. from the connected device.    Yet, it worked when I first plugged it in.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #22: June 08, 2015, 04:27:39 PM »
There are reports into the news room that there is an older gentleman in E. Loudoun County currently heaving computer equipment from an upstairs window.    Sources indicate that he will not give up his laptop as it is his last connection with WNFF.     Stay tuned for further details.    Film at eleven.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #23: June 08, 2015, 05:12:24 PM »
So the old monitor was connected via DVI and the new one is I'm guessing HDMI?

Have you tried plugging in the new monitor and then rebooting?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #24: June 08, 2015, 05:14:41 PM »
There are reports into the news room that there is an older gentleman in E. Loudoun County currently heaving computer equipment from an upstairs window.    Sources indicate that he will not give up his laptop as it is his last connection with WNFF.     Stay tuned for further details.    Film at eleven.

:lmao:  Don't you leave us, Mitlen!! You do whatever it takes, get the Geek Squad out there! Or even better, get a smart phone, you don't actually have to talk to anyone but then you'll always have your WNFF peeps with ya :thumbs:  :lol: