Author Topic: Computer problem= Help Requested.  (Read 25022 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Computer problem= Help Requested.
« Reply #250: January 08, 2017, 08:44:20 PM »
Who gets to wait six hours?

Aren't most husbands?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #251: January 08, 2017, 10:51:31 PM »
That you can't customize your desktop and every six hours or so you get a message calling you a jackass.  :D

:spit:

sounds like a good gig for any number of WNFFers ;)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #252: January 09, 2017, 09:41:13 AM »
according to Wikipedia.

I went to my Settings option and didn't see desktop personalize features.    I see personalization under control panel but nothing that appears to lead me to the promised land.    I'll do some googlin' later and if all else fails, I'll call the dreaded 800 number.

BTW   Like most male members of WNFF, the missus doesn't even wait six hours to "call" me a jackass on most days.    She usually doesn't verbalize it though.    It's usually that head shake.    That damn slow head shake with the eyeroll.      Yeah, that one.     :smh:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #253: January 09, 2017, 10:32:13 AM »
I went to my Settings option and didn't see desktop personalize features.    I see personalization under control panel but nothing that appears to lead me to the promised land.    I'll do some googlin' later and if all else fails, I'll call the dreaded 800 number.

BTW   Like most male members of WNFF, the missus doesn't even wait six hours to "call" me a jackass on most days.    She usually doesn't verbalize it though.    It's usually that head shake.    That damn slow head shake with the eyeroll.      Yeah, that one.     :smh:
Your still in training. And will never finish. It's frustrating for her. 😄

Offline dracnal

« Reply #254: January 09, 2017, 10:49:00 AM »

mitlen, don't bother with the 800 number based on what The Chief posted. Since you've changed motherboard and CPU, it's a new machine in the eyes of Microsoft. That means you need a new license, unless you have a transferable (full retail copy) version of Windows. Since your son helped you home build, it's really unlikely that it's not OEM (which is non-transferable).

But, for now at least, MS wants people to have W10 more than they want money for W10. If you don't activate it will not do a whole hell of a lot and you can just keep using the machine.

If they change it in the future, it'll be $110 to make the copy legit. Short version: Don't pay them the money or spend any more effort on this unless and until MS changes how the system punishes you for not being legit.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #255: January 09, 2017, 11:44:36 AM »
mitlen, don't bother with the 800 number based on what The Chief posted. Since you've changed motherboard and CPU, it's a new machine in the eyes of Microsoft. That means you need a new license, unless you have a transferable (full retail copy) version of Windows. Since your son helped you home build, it's really unlikely that it's not OEM (which is non-transferable).

But, for now at least, MS wants people to have W10 more than they want money for W10. If you don't activate it will not do a whole hell of a lot and you can just keep using the machine.

If they change it in the future, it'll be $110 to make the copy legit. Short version: Don't pay them the money or spend any more effort on this unless and until MS changes how the system punishes you for not being legit.

Thanks dracnal.   

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #256: January 09, 2017, 01:35:40 PM »
I'd offer that your son may know an endaround too to avoid giving M$ more of your hard earned dough. Maybe not the most ethical thing, but they hardly play by the rules either. You didn't do anything wrong. Shouldn't have to pay again.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #257: January 09, 2017, 01:50:25 PM »
I'd offer that your son may know an endaround too to avoid giving M$ more of your hard earned dough. Maybe not the most ethical thing, but they hardly play by the rules either. You didn't do anything wrong. Shouldn't have to pay again.

My son has done his service.    It's in his contract.    :)     Really wild.   I think we had Windows7 on the original MB.     Kept gettin' prompts to download Windows 10.    Kept ignoring 'em.   One night a few years ago, the missus comes home from work and the PC is in the process of downloading 10.    We've been using it ever since.   

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #258: January 09, 2017, 02:25:20 PM »
My wife did the same thing. And she's in IT for a living. MS just disguised the message, or popped it up along side a security update message or something.

My son has done his service.    It's in his contract.    :)     Really wild.   I think we had Windows7 on the original MB.     Kept gettin' prompts to download Windows 10.    Kept ignoring 'em.   One night a few years ago, the missus comes home from work and the PC is in the process of downloading 10.    We've been using it ever since.   

Offline mitlen

« Reply #259: February 08, 2017, 12:34:04 PM »
Hmmmmmm.     Looks like I'm back to the same issue(s) with the PC I had in December.     :smh:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #260: February 08, 2017, 01:02:26 PM »
Hmmmmmm.     Looks like I'm back to the same issue(s) with the PC I had in December.     :smh:

Found the answer:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #261: February 08, 2017, 02:17:52 PM »
Found the answer:

(Image removed from quote.)

Pretty much.    I'll check all the connections and see what happens.

Offline wj73

« Reply #262: February 08, 2017, 08:20:44 PM »
I worked in IT for over 20 years. Defenestration is always a viable option.

Offline mitlen

Offline The Chief

« Reply #264: February 28, 2017, 09:22:47 PM »
That's why I prefer to run WNFF out of my basement :punch:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #265: February 28, 2017, 09:24:12 PM »
Because nobody can hear your temper tantrums ?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #266: February 28, 2017, 09:29:51 PM »

:hysterical: :rant:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #267: February 28, 2017, 09:58:48 PM »

Keeeeeeeriste, we're payin' over $800 for a basement operation?      :)

Offline The Chief

« Reply #268: February 28, 2017, 10:07:42 PM »
The most luxurious basement.  Great basement.  Huge.  Everyone knows it.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #269: February 28, 2017, 10:39:47 PM »

"It rubs the Lotion on its skin"

Offline mitlen

« Reply #270: February 28, 2017, 10:48:52 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
            "It rubs the Lotion on its skin"

Oh man  ....   :spit:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #271: March 18, 2017, 12:26:14 PM »
I noticed that when I run a "full scan" using my anti-virus, the number of files scanned varies quite a bit.  I did this yesterday and there were about 366000 files scanned.  Today, 323000.  Is this a tip off that it is not scanning sectors and there may be an issue with my computer?

FWIW, yesterday, when I ran it, there seemed to be some hang ups on a few files and it took much longer to run than today, which I why I re-ran I re-ran it today.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #272: March 19, 2017, 12:59:20 PM »
I noticed that when I run a "full scan" using my anti-virus, the number of files scanned varies quite a bit.  I did this yesterday and there were about 366000 files scanned.  Today, 323000.  Is this a tip off that it is not scanning sectors and there may be an issue with my computer?

FWIW, yesterday, when I ran it, there seemed to be some hang ups on a few files and it took much longer to run than today, which I why I re-ran I re-ran it today.

Potentially it was a difference in temp files. Especially if you say, cleared your browser history.  My suggestion would be to download MalwareBytes AntiMalware and run a scan with that.  It's generally very good at picking up PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs). PUPs are technically legal because you have to install them (or consent to install them when you install another program) and they are typically something you can uninstall by hand, even though you have to jump through hoops.

The result is they are not classified as viruses and most AV scanners allow them to live. In general, a good example is Driver Download. It cripples the speed of your computer on purpose and says 'Hey, pay me money and we'll fix all the problems your computer has.' If you pay, it promptly undoes some of the damage it did your system and says your drivers are all up to date. Then it installs a companion program (CleanPC or similar) which does the same thing - claims you have viruses only it can clean and extorts you again.

I'd also recommend CCleaner (piriform.net) just to do a general cleanup of your PC. It'll kill any junk files off and can really speed your machine up.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #273: March 19, 2017, 01:06:58 PM »
I'd also recommend CCleaner (piriform.net) just to do a general cleanup of your PC. It'll kill any junk files off and can really speed your machine up.

I second ccleaner as a great utility and the great thing it's free.  I use it weekly on my laptops.  But I just go to ccleaner.com and it automatically redirects to piriform.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #274: March 19, 2017, 01:11:07 PM »
These are some of the freebie utilities that I use.  What are some other good ones that everyone uses?

ccleaner.com
malwarebytes.org
windows defender for anti-virus