Author Topic: Pete Rose: "I bet on every game..."  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Pete Rose: "I bet on every game..."
« Topic Start: March 14, 2007, 08:30:40 PM »
Rose admits to betting on Reds every night
ESPN.com news services
LINK: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2798498

Pete Rose revealed Wednesday that he bet on the Reds "every night" while he was manager of the team and that the Dowd Report was correct when it said he did so.

Rose spoke Wednesday with Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann on ESPN Radio to discuss the new Pete Rose exhibit that will be on display at the Great American Ballpark as part of the Reds Hall of Fame. The exhibit will be on display for 11 months.

"I bet on my team every night. I didn't bet on my team four nights a week. I was wrong," Rose said.

Rose said that he believed in his team so much that he bet on them to win every night.

"I bet on my team to win every night because I love my team, I believe in my team," Rose said. "I did everything in my power every night to win that game."

Rose accepted a lifetime ban for gambling in 1989, but denied for nearly 15 years that he bet on baseball. He finally acknowledged in his latest autobiography, published in January 2004, that he made baseball wagers while he managed the Cincinnati Reds.

Rose said he doesn't worry about getting into the Hall of Fame anymore, but if he is reinstated, he hopes to manage again in the majors. 

"I quit worrying about it," Rose said about the Hall. The former Reds great said that he thought he was going to be reinstated when he met with commissioner Bud Selig before his book came out. Rose said he met with Selig about a year before the book came out and told him everything that was in the book.

"I really thought I was going to be reinstated. Something changed [Selig's] mind," Rose said.

Rose said he believes it should be up to each individual owner whether he should manage in the majors again.

"[It's] all about dollars, Dan and Keith. If I was ever reinstated. If an owner don't want to win and draw people, don't call my number," Rose said.

Major League Baseball's Hit King also said he thinks that Mark McGwire is getting a raw deal from the writers voting for the Hall of Fame. The reason he said he supported McGwire is because nothing has been proven and they're all "allegations."

"Don't penalize McGwire because you think other guys are taking steroids," Rose said.

McGwire wasn't voted into the Hall of Fame in his first appearance on the ballot in January because of allegations he used performance-enhancing drugs in his career.

Rose admits he made a mistake in betting on baseball.

"I made a big mistake. It's my fault, It's nobody's else's fault," Rose said. However, he said he should be reinstated because "I'm the best ambassador baseball has."

Because of the ban, Rose is not eligible for induction into the Reds' or Baseball's Hall of Fame. He also is not allowed to be involved in most on-field activities, which has prevented the Reds from retiring his uniform No. 14.

Major League Baseball did include him in two events -- 1999's All-Century Team and 2002's 30 Memorable Moments -- that were sponsored by a credit card company.

The new exhibit includes more than 300 items from the career of Rose, who finished playing in 1986 with a record 4,256 hits. His total is reflected at the Reds' Hall in a three-story high wall of baseballs -- one for each hit.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Re: Pete Rose: "I bet on every game..."
« Reply #1: March 14, 2007, 08:31:43 PM »
I really don't think anyone cares anymore about Pete Rose.  Honestly.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #2: March 14, 2007, 08:34:04 PM »
I really don't think anyone cares anymore about Pete Rose.  Honestly.
You're joking right?  It's this generation's version of Shoeless Joe Jackson. 

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #3: March 14, 2007, 08:38:58 PM »
Sure, he was a big star, and I think he deserves to get into the Hall of Fame, but I really think he's just grasping at straws by trying to redeem himself and get into the Hall.

Let me rephrase my statement:  I really don't care about Pete Rose anymore.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4: March 14, 2007, 09:28:34 PM »
I dont care. Hall shmall. Integrity my ass.  I just wanna watch a game. 

At least he bet on the Reds to win. Or so he says.

« Reply #5: March 14, 2007, 10:08:45 PM »
The man belongs in the Hall of Shame with Giambi, Sosa, Bonds, the Black Sox, McGuire, and the like.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #6: March 14, 2007, 10:27:21 PM »
You're joking right?  It's this generation's version of Shoeless Joe Jackson.

Jackson was exonerated of game fixing in every court except the one's controlled by MLB. Jackson was one of the best player on either side. Jackson didn't cheat and played his best game in, game out, Pete Rose, cheated and bet on baseball. Jackson belongs in the HOF, and should be inducted decades before Pete Rose should even be considered.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #7: March 14, 2007, 10:41:44 PM »
Jackson was exonerated of game fixing in every court except the one's controlled by MLB. Jackson was one of the best player on either side. Jackson didn't cheat and played his best game in, game out, Pete Rose, cheated and bet on baseball. Jackson belongs in the HOF, and should be inducted decades before Pete Rose should even be considered.
I just listened to some guy on XM this afternoon claim just the opposite - that the general consensus was that Jackson did indeed take a dive for cash.  That organized crime had infiltrated their tentacles into the sport and the notorious Blacksox almost ruined the game.  He stated that their subsequent prosecution and his banning from the HOF saved baseball from a very dark period that could have gotten worse.  Like all these things...there are opinions at every end of the spectrum.

« Reply #8: March 15, 2007, 05:41:57 PM »
Reading the USA Today paper and reading the things he said just makes me lose further respect for him.  The man is shameless.  The man is a whore.

"I am the best ambassador to the game the MLB has." ?!?!?!?!?!?!

"Don't keep McGuire out of the Hall just because he took roids."   ?!?!?!?!?!?!

Disgraceful.  A clown, a complete clown.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #9: March 16, 2007, 02:49:03 PM »
I just listened to some guy on XM this afternoon claim just the opposite - that the general consensus was that Jackson did indeed take a dive for cash.  That organized crime had infiltrated their tentacles into the sport and the notorious Blacksox almost ruined the game.  He stated that their subsequent prosecution and his banning from the HOF saved baseball from a very dark period that could have gotten worse.  Like all these things...there are opinions at every end of the spectrum.

Yea, I've heard guys like that on radio and seen them on TV talk shows, they are so ignorant of the real facts, they should be in the circus for being able to walk around with their heads up there asses. Anyone who's aware of all the facts believes that Joe Jackson deserves to have his case reversed by MLB and that he belongs in the HOF.

Joe Jackson led both teams in hits, had the highest batting average on either side, was the only player to hit a HR in the series, was 2nd among both teams in RBI and doubles, tied for 2nd in runs scored, doubled off a runner at the plate and would have have two other OF assists has not Cicotte (one of the eight) not deflected the throw, and had catcher Lynn not fumbled the ball one other time. Yeppers, that XM radio guy sure sounds like a real live expert. I guess if you heard it on XM radio, that makes it fact and it's obvious that Joe Jackson was "in on it" and tried to throw games... The guy you heard on XM radio reeks of ignorance.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #10: March 16, 2007, 06:47:11 PM »
Hey Pete, good luck with that Hall of Fame thing.  If he had any shot at getting in he's ruined it for the near future.  I doubt he gets in while he's alive which is a shame because his numbers are HOF worthy.  But at least as long as Bud is in power, he can forget about it.  If he gets in, it'll be posthumously.