Author Topic: It's over for Drew Storen -- Or is it?  (Read 41315 times)

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
Re: It's over for Drew Storen
« Reply #25: April 13, 2013, 01:10:30 PM »
The Nats could have been up or down 4+ runs and not needed Soriano.  There is no way you don't use a closer in a save situation because you are about to play a division rival.  Save situations mean you use your closer.  If he goes multiple days in a row you go to your next best option. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #26: April 13, 2013, 08:44:03 PM »
The Nats could have been up or down 4+ runs and not needed Soriano.  There is no way you don't use a closer in a save situation because you are about to play a division rival.  Save situations mean you use your closer.  If he goes multiple days in a row you go to your next best option.

Sure, because savers thrive on those chits called "saves".  If they aren't fed those little statistical goodies on a regular basis they go apecrap and destroy things.   Don't use your best reliever in high leverage situations, save them for racking up the easy saves, it's what they must have.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #27: April 13, 2013, 11:11:22 PM »
could've had trout.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #29: April 19, 2013, 09:40:26 PM »
bump, seriously this guy is done, toast. Time to cut the cord for good.

Offline Dixon Ward

« Reply #30: April 19, 2013, 10:19:47 PM »
dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa dfa

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #31: April 19, 2013, 10:21:23 PM »
LOL

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #32: April 19, 2013, 11:38:26 PM »
We've given Henry Rodriguez 25 chances. Drew is going nowhere.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #33: April 20, 2013, 12:09:39 AM »
Time to reevaluate and possibly send to Syracuse. He's got PTSD from October. I can just see him curling up in a ball every time he goes on the mound, suffering violent flashbacks. At this point, he's probably waking up every night drenched in sweat screaming, "No more, Kozma! No more!!!"

Let him work his crap out, regain his shattered confidence on easier opponents in less stressful situations. This? This ain't working. The total opposite, actually. Any chance he had to regain his form and get past Game 5 diminishes every time he gets pwned like tonight.

Offline MorseMythology

« Reply #34: April 20, 2013, 12:40:38 AM »
Yeah, I can honestly see a trip to Syracuse in his future. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. But he's killing us up here.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #35: April 20, 2013, 01:12:58 AM »
Maybe he can Ankiel himself into a 3Bman?

Offline PC

« Reply #36: April 20, 2013, 04:47:44 AM »
I rewatched the eighth inning to see if Drew was missing his spot and he was.  He was consistently up in the zone when Suzuki appeared to want the pitches down but he did get completely screwed out of a strike three call to Duda, before his homer.  The 0-2 pitch was called a ball and it was clearly strike 3.  Clearly.  Though Suzuki did a TERRIBLE job of catching it.  He almost appeared to drag the ball down but it still should have been strike 3.

After watching the inning again, I'm less disturbed by how Storen pitched.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #37: April 20, 2013, 06:11:48 AM »
I think that Rizzo was correct in bringing in a closer . Only time will tell if Soriano was the correct choice. Storen is not the pitcher he was.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #38: April 20, 2013, 07:37:24 AM »
I rewatched the eighth inning to see if Drew was missing his spot and he was.  He was consistently up in the zone when Suzuki appeared to want the pitches down but he did get completely screwed out of a strike three call to Duda, before his homer.  The 0-2 pitch was called a ball and it was clearly strike 3.  Clearly.  Though Suzuki did a TERRIBLE job of catching it.  He almost appeared to drag the ball down but it still should have been strike 3.

After watching the inning again, I'm less disturbed by how Storen pitched.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I really don't think he looked as bad as the box score would indicate. I'm not saying he's good to go and/or reliable right now, but his pitches looked decent.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #39: April 20, 2013, 08:24:03 AM »
The Nats should bring back Antonio Osuna. In fact I here that Brian Bruney, Mike Hinckley, Levale Speigner, Ron Villone, and Logan Kensing are all free agents as well.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #40: April 20, 2013, 09:50:02 AM »
:shock:

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #41: April 20, 2013, 11:25:35 AM »
They really should send him down to Syracuse, if only for a week or so.  Whoever they bring up to take his place really couldn't do much worse at the moment.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #42: April 20, 2013, 07:24:16 PM »
They really should send him down to Syracuse, if only for a week or so.  Whoever they bring up to take his place really couldn't do much worse at the moment.

Today's game sort of shows that much to be true - close game, four bullpen arms used. None Storen. You'd have to be an idiot to trust Storen right now in a one-run game. And indeed, we apparently learned our lesson there. So then, why keep him up? To not disrespect him, to hope he works it out?

I think Storen still has the potential to be a great arm. But anyone who can honestly say this isn't mental is mental themselves. The guy, who is still relatively young, choked. Choked epicly. Game 5 of playoffs. A lead. Ninth inning. The culmination of seven months, years and years of planning. And it all fell on him, and he failed.

Then he has almost six months to fixate and have it fester. Jesus, every last one of us leaving the ballpark that horrific Friday night had rarely if ever felt that way in their entire lives. It lingered for days. Now imagine the guy responsible. If he had returned to form, there'd be no issue. He hasn't, and I fervently believe this is 90% of the reason why as well as something only a temporary, short term demotion can fix at this point.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #43: April 20, 2013, 07:36:38 PM »
Today's game sort of shows that much to be true - close game, four bullpen arms used. None Storen.

Well to be fair, he did throw almost 30 pitches in last night's debacle.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #44: April 20, 2013, 08:00:43 PM »
I think this thread will be fun to look back on at the end of the season.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #45: April 20, 2013, 08:03:34 PM »
I quite agree.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #46: April 20, 2013, 08:19:19 PM »

that's the hope

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #47: April 20, 2013, 10:20:36 PM »

And it all fell on him, and he failed.

Then he has almost six months to fixate and have it fester. Jesus, every last one of us leaving the ballpark that horrific Friday night had rarely if ever felt that way in their entire lives. It lingered for days. Now imagine the guy responsible. If he had returned to form, there'd be no issue. He hasn't, and I fervently believe this is 90% of the reason why as well as something only a temporary, short term demotion can fix at this point.

I felt like crap.I couldn't get on this site for days. No Redskin loss ever affected me that way including the Raiders Super Bowl.You put it succinctly. I hope he recovers and becomes a valuable player for us.

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #48: April 20, 2013, 10:36:46 PM »
Deal him to the cubs for Schierholtz or a bat.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #49: April 20, 2013, 10:56:15 PM »
Deal him to the cubs for Schierholtz or a bat.
I'm assuming this isn't serious.