Author Topic: It's over for Drew Storen -- Or is it?  (Read 41398 times)

Offline madj55

Storen has really bad luck. However, he's the reason for his bad luck. You can't walk guys late in games...you just can't. It doesn't matter that he threw a perfect pitch that Delmon Young got lucky on. If Storen doesn't walk him it's a completely different inning. And then Drew decides to leave one right down the dick for Domonic Brown who really can't hit. Drew needs to get it together in the 7th inning, can't use him in the 8th anymore.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Its not bad luck. It's bad pitching.

Offline madj55

I said his bad pitching led to the bad luck.

Offline WerthHisWeight

Storen is definitely done.  You can see it in his body language.  Can't handle the adversity.

Offline pazzo83

He needs to go to a mop-up role for a while.

Offline Cinqo de Mayo

Storen will be haunted by game five as long as he wears a Nats uniform.

Offline jhuterp

Storen's done...I really thought he would show the toughness to come back from Game 5, but it's not happening....

Offline PC

James Wagner ‏@JamesWagnerWP 42m

Drew Storen: "Just giving up too many hits. Can't do that late in the game."

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
If Drew Storen, who can't seem to give up a scoreless inning, faced the Nationals, who can't seem to score off any pitchers other than starting pitchers, would:

A) The Nats score runs off Storen,
B) Storen shut down the Nats, or
C) Equal but opposite suckitude cause a singularity that would suck us all in and destroy everything we know and love

?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
All of the above

Chaos and panic ensues

:panic:

Offline Sniper 1

If Storen isn't seeing a psychologist, he should be. He has he talent to get major leaguers out but obviously his mind isn't right. Batters go into slumps all of the time. It's rare to see a pitcher do it but it isn't unheard of.

Offline monkeyhit

Future tv "analyst" posing as a pitcher.

Offline dab222

At least he cut his hair, lol he looked like a complete bum

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
The team seems aware of his problems right now and has shifted him back from a set up role to flip flopping with Clippard to coming in when behind or tied.  Both Stammen and Clippard now are ahead of him in terms of gravity of the roles.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
5.30 ERA. WHIP approaching 2.00

He's corrupted forever. Sorry sack of freaking garbage.

This passes for analysis from you.

So what's the issue with Drew?  What I mean is, can anybody say WHY he's not getting it done?  I don't mean some physcobabble crap like most of what I'm reading here, but some real insight.  Velocity down?  Nibbling too much?  Not nibbling enough?  How about some data, not just profane histrionics.  Anybody?  Or am I asking too much here.    :roll:

Offline Slateman

This passes for analysis from you.

So what's the issue with Drew?  What I mean is, can anybody say WHY he's not getting it done?  I don't mean some physcobabble crap like most of what I'm reading here, but some real insight.  Velocity down?  Nibbling too much?  Not nibbling enough?  How about some data, not just profane histrionics.  Anybody?  Or am I asking too much here.    :roll:

Analysis: He keeps giving up runs when the game is close.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Analysis: He keeps giving up runs when the game is close.

Brilliant.

Offline Slateman

Look, tom, it is what it is. He can't be trusted. So either he's hiding an injury or he's freaked in the head.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Look, tom, it is what it is. He can't be trusted. So either he's hiding an injury or he's freaked in the head.

I expected a bit more from you.  Some of the rest of the parrots, not so much.  Not even so much as a BABIP theory? Line drive rate?  Strike %?  Nothing?   

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

I expected a bit more from you.  Some of the rest of the parrots, not so much.  Not even so much as a BABIP theory? Line drive rate?  Strike %?  Nothing?

So...what's your theory?

Offline Slateman

There isn't one. He walks people, gives up too many hits, throws batting practice, and, in general, cannot get the outs his team needs in close games.

80% of this game is mental. The other half is physical. 

Offline HalfSmokes

According to fangraphs   his k/9 is better this year than last,  and his bb/9 is the same,  but his home run rate and babip are much higher (not surprisingly,  his FB rate is way up and his ground and line drive rares are down) .  To me that's no different than saying he's having a bad year,  it happens

Online sportsfan882

The results speak for themselves. He hasn't been unlucky. He's pitched poorly and the results bare that out.

A new troubling sign is the walks his last two outings that ended up killing us. He's been extremely hittable and now walks to boot.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
The results speak for themselves. He hasn't been unlucky. He's pitched poorly and the results bare that out.

A new troubling sign is the walks his last two outings that ended up killing us. He's been extremely hittable and now walks to boot.

Exactly.

Online nobleisthyname

According to fangraphs   his k/9 is better this year than last,  and his bb/9 is the same,  but his home run rate and babip are much higher (not surprisingly,  his FB rate is way up and his ground and line drive rares are down) .  To me that's no different than saying he's having a bad year,  it happens

This. If you look at the numbers everything points to him being unlucky. People here don't like that answer obviously and who knows, maybe it's all in his head still.

But the stuff that a pitcher has control over he's done well in and the stuff a pitcher doesn't control he's done poorly in. That USUALLY (read: not always) points to bad luck. This problem can be exacerbated with relief pitchers because they take so long to get a decent sample size. Storen has pitched 19 innings so far this season. That's roughly equivalent to three starts. Strasburg with a 2.49 ERA has had at least three bad starts this season, arguably more. I don't think anyone would say Strasburg will never be able to pitch again based on his numbers this season.