Author Topic: Nationals-Orioles Rivalry?  (Read 11269 times)

Offline Rick

Nationals-Orioles Rivalry?
« Topic Start: February 19, 2013, 06:20:10 PM »
Just curious since I'm new to the area, is there a Nationals-Orioles rivalry?

Offline Coladar

Re: Nationals-Orioles Rivarly?
« Reply #1: February 19, 2013, 06:29:26 PM »
... ... ...

Umm, yes? (You've succeeded in rendering me speechless. Most here will attest the impossibility of such a feat.)

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2: February 19, 2013, 06:33:15 PM »
Only for Nationals fans who live in the D.C. area. I have never lived in or near D.C. and I really don't care about the Orioles.

But yeah the Nats and Orioles don't get along. True story: I once met a girl who had moved down here to Texas from Maryland. I said "Oh, I'm a Nats fan." She said "Go Birds" and never spoke to me again.

Offline Rick

« Reply #3: February 19, 2013, 06:42:08 PM »
Only for Nationals fans who live in the D.C. area. I have never lived in or near D.C. and I really don't care about the Orioles.

But yeah the Nats and Orioles don't get along. True story: I once met a girl who had moved down here to Texas from Maryland. I said "Oh, I'm a Nats fan." She said "Go Birds" and never spoke to me again.

:lol: haha

Offline Rick

« Reply #4: February 19, 2013, 06:46:22 PM »
... ... ...

Umm, yes? (You've succeeded in rendering me speechless. Most here will attest the impossibility of such a feat.)

haha. i just thought because they are in 2 different leagues and "share" (I use that term loosely) MASN maybe there was no real rivalry. guess i was wrong. lol

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #5: February 19, 2013, 07:00:17 PM »
haha. i just thought because they are in 2 different leagues and "share" (I use that term loosely) MASN maybe there was no real rivalry. guess i was wrong. lol

MASN + Angelos keeping baseball out of DC are the two reasons I despise the Orioles,  I have nothing against baltimore- i think it would make a nice aaa affiliate for DC or Philadelphia

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #6: February 19, 2013, 07:08:15 PM »
I give 0 freaks about the Orioles tbh.

Offline Rick

« Reply #7: February 19, 2013, 07:10:09 PM »
along these lines i founds this video i thought was funny

Offline Ray D

« Reply #8: February 19, 2013, 07:11:23 PM »

The orioles are a garbage franchise in a garbage city, and we would not dignify them with a rivalry.   However, most of us do hate them, but that's because they kept baseball out of DC for 30+ years.

Offline LightningMcQueen

« Reply #9: February 19, 2013, 07:15:24 PM »
along these lines i founds this video i thought was funny

i don't live in DC, so honestly, i don't have any hate towards the birds. with that being said, this was good stuff.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #10: February 19, 2013, 07:23:23 PM »
freak Baltimore, hell freak Maryland

Offline natspride

« Reply #11: February 19, 2013, 07:27:13 PM »
freak Baltimore, hell freak Maryland

I wouldn't go that far.  ;)

Offline LightningMcQueen

« Reply #12: February 19, 2013, 07:32:08 PM »
i know they don't meet every year, but is there a Redskins Ravens rivalry at all?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #13: February 19, 2013, 07:33:36 PM »
i know they don't meet every year, but is there a Redskins Ravens rivalry at all?

No, I don't think either fan base acknowledges the other

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #14: February 19, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »

In the early 80s they had to stop the annual Redskins v. Colts preseason games because there were too many fights between fans.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #15: February 19, 2013, 09:07:06 PM »
The orioles are a garbage franchise in a garbage city, and we would not dignify them with a rivalry.   However, most of us do hate them, but that's because they kept baseball out of DC for 30+ years.

This. But beware of birds fans in Nats gear (we have some undercover ones here who showed themselves last year when the birds made the playoffs but they will probably go back in "hiding" and even trash talk the birds when they drop back down to the cellar).

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #16: February 19, 2013, 09:09:05 PM »
there are a lot of dc/nats/redskins fans who adopt the baltimore teams when it benefits them

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #17: February 19, 2013, 09:09:41 PM »

For me, it's NL East and then various NL teams like the Dodgers.   After that, I'd rather pay money to see the Yankees, Sawx and Angels than the Oreos.    There was a time I liked the Orioles but Albert Belle and Angelos screwed that up.

Offline heeman82

« Reply #18: February 19, 2013, 09:24:32 PM »
People up there get all bent out of shape if you wear a Nats hat there.  It's cute.  Some loser will always go, "hey jerk, this isn't a Nationals game," but then run away before I figure out who said it.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #19: February 19, 2013, 09:25:16 PM »
The real rivalry we have is with the Phillies. Atlanta is second. The O's are not even on the radar.

Sure, we hate 'em because Angelos kept us from having a team for so long, but that's a fading memory.

Offline Rick

« Reply #20: February 19, 2013, 09:33:45 PM »
The real rivalry we have is with the Phillies. Atlanta is second. The O's are not even on the radar.

Sure, we hate 'em because Angelos kept us from having a team for so long, but that's a fading memory.

Yeah, that's where my original question was kind of hinting at. I understand Nl East rivalries and NL rivalries... i get the the O's tried their best to prevent a team from coming to washington...but does that really cause a rivalry? To me that kinda just seems like political crap...not real rivalry. 

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #21: February 19, 2013, 09:35:38 PM »
Yeah, that's where my original question was kind of hinting at. I understand Nl East rivalries and NL rivalries... i get the the O's tried their best to prevent a team from coming to washington...but does that really cause a rivalry? To me that kinda just seems like political crap...not real rivalry. 

Oh, there's genuine hate there but the longer we have a team, it'll fade.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #22: February 19, 2013, 09:38:07 PM »
Rivalry or not, the games sell out. I like the games, close away game that fans can reach, but the dual Nats/Os broadcast makes me want to puke.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #23: February 19, 2013, 09:48:34 PM »
Oh, there's genuine hate there but the longer we have a team, it'll fade.

It depends on masn- the longer the team's are tied together,  the longer the animosity will last

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #24: February 19, 2013, 10:13:43 PM »
I freaking hate Peter Angelos. My dislike for the O's stems from that. Cal Ripken buys the team and I'll back the O's all up until the World Series.