Author Topic: 1958 SI article on Roy Sievers and how to hit  (Read 205 times)

Offline welch

1958 SI article on Roy Sievers and how to hit
« Topic Start: February 10, 2013, 09:29:10 AM »

Mark Hornbaker, over at DC Baseball History, has a "this day in DC Baseball History" about how Roy Sievers bargained for one of the largest contracts ever won by a Nat...after leading the AL in homers and RBI's while also hitting about .301.

http://dcbaseballhistory.com/2013/02/this-day-in-d-c-baseball-hisotry-sievers-turns-down-contract-offer/

The real treat is Hornbaker's link to SI's cover story, March, 1958, on Siever's batting tips:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/edb/reader.html?magID=SI&issueDate=19580331&mode=reader_vault

Rare that a national sporting magazine noticed the Nats / Senators back then, but go to page 35 and read the article. Compare Sievers method to what is taught today, and notice his comment on the difference between minor league hitters and major leaguers. His detailed comments are fascinating, but here is his summary:

- "Know the pitchers". Ted Williams had taught Sievers to study pitchers all the time, looking for mannerisms that hint at what pitch will be thrown, what they like to throw, in what situations, and what they like to throw to you.

- "Know the strike-zone". Instinctively, so you know it before the umpire calls the pitch.

- "Go up there to hit, not to wait around. Swing at good pitches. Make the pitcher know you'll hit a good pitch"

- "Keep your eye on the ball at all time". In the pitcher's hand, when it leaves the pitcher's hand, right until your bat makes contact. (He says that Musial and Williams can recognize a pitch about eight feet after it leaves a pitcher's hand)

- "Don't try to swing too hard. Keep your swing smooth. Keep your body level. Don't lunge".  Sievers tries to hit every pitch up the middle

Some great diagrams of Sievers' stance, how he changed it and why, how he grips the bat, how some pitchers pitch to him. Not just anybodies: he mentions Early Wynn, Billy Pierce, Whitey Ford, and Herb Score.

For amusement, read the advertisements and some of the other stories: those small European cars come to the US...Nathalie Wood suggests you buy a Smith Corona typewriter...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way
Re: 1958 SI article on Roy Sievers and how to hit
« Reply #1: February 10, 2013, 11:06:42 AM »
Interesting story on page 83 of SI as well.   May be familiar with his work.   :)

BTW   Great site "welch".       I'm now reading the October 24, 1960 edition.

Offline welch

« Reply #2: February 10, 2013, 05:55:34 PM »
Interesting story on page 83 of SI as well.   May be familiar with his work.   :)

BTW   Great site "welch".       I'm now reading the October 24, 1960 edition.

Ah...something special was happening in October of 1960???

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way
« Reply #3: February 10, 2013, 06:02:17 PM »
Ah...something special was happening in October of 1960???

;)

I've been perusing various issues throughout the day.   Lots of memories  ....   

Offline welch

« Reply #4: February 10, 2013, 06:08:49 PM »
;)

I've been perusing various issues throughout the day.   Lots of memories  ....   

Kristoferson was amazing...how would they know? Looks like he's holding a rugby ball.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way
« Reply #5: February 10, 2013, 06:18:16 PM »
Kristoferson was amazing...how would they know? Looks like he's holding a rugby ball.

It is.   He was quite good.   I saw him at some awards (music) ceremony and they were talking about him.   I was surprised at his background.   I "wiki"d him and there it was  ....  Rugby, Rhodes Scholar, ROTC, etc.    Not sure what made me zoom in and read that particular article.