Author Topic: Which ball parks have you been to, and which is your favorite?  (Read 6706 times)

Offline markfnc

I have been to, Wrigley Field, Old Comiskey, Old Tiger Stadium, Old Yankee Stadium, Camden Yards, Fulton County Stadium, Turner Field, Skydome, Candlestick, Oakland A's, King Dome ,  Olympic Stadium - Montreal, Minute Maid in Houston, PNC Pittsburgh, Nationals, Citizens Bank Philadelphia.

Favorite - PNC Pittsburgh, for the views, and the park itself.

I also like Nationals Park, Camden Yards, and Turner Field.  Turner is a long walk from downtown, but a lot of kids activities.

Ones I want to get to: StL, Cincy, Cleveland, SF new, SD, Colo, New Tiger Stadium

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Been to Memorial Stadium,  Camden Yards,    Three Rivers and FENWAY.   FENWAY!

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
I've been to Camden, Citizen's Bank and Olympic Stadium way back when I used to live in Montreal. Favorite has to be Camden.

Looking to go to Wrigley, Citi and possibly PNC Pittsburgh this coming summer.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Scranton-Wilkes Barre has a neat minor league park. Reclaimed strip mine right by a ski area.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Candlestick Park - 1992
Dodger Stadium - 1969
Fenway Park - 1979, 2000
Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome - 1997
Nationals Park [favourite because it's for the home team I waited for] - 2008-present
RFK Stadium - 1963-65, 2005-07 plus assorted exhibition matches
Riverfront Stadium - 1993
Skydome - 2005
Stade Olympique - 1994-96, 1998, 2000
Yankee Stadium (old) - 2004

Offline HalfSmokes

Fenway and RFK (mostly for nostalgia) are my favorite. I think Nats park is the most functional in terms of sight lines and access to amenities (metro, food, beer ,  bathrooms). Turner is a giant lifeless dump

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Camden
RFK
Nats Park
PG Stadium
Space Coast
Rangers Ballpark in Arlington
Dolphins Stadium
Great American Ballpark

Nats Park and RIBA my favorites. PG was cool as a kid, because players were so accessible. Haven't been in 10+ years though, so I'm not sure how it is now. Got a cracked bat there haha.

Nats Park: as said, love the angles.
RIBA: Great ballpark. Now that the Rangers are a hot ticket, it's 'fun factor' has gone down. Bit too expensive now, for me. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Been to Memorial Stadium,  Camden Yards,    Three Rivers and FENWAY.   FENWAY!

Fenway is a DUMP.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Shea
Fenway
Camden Yards
Turner Field
RFK
Nationals Park
Chase Field (Diamondbacks)
Marlins Park
US Cellular Field (White Sox)
AT&T Field (San Francisco)
Petco (Padres)
Miller Park (Brewers)

Obviously Nats park is my favorite, but of the rest:
Favorite: AT&T & Camden Yards
Least Favorite: Marlins Park (gawdy, plastic, don't like indoor stadiums), Shea

I'm hoping to get to a Tampa game this summer.

I've been to a few minor league parks - Potomac, Harrisburg, and Progress Energy Park/Al Lang in St. Pete.   Harrisburg was great.  Also made it to Viera once.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Forbes Field
Yankee Stadium (old)
Cleveland (Lake Front) Stadium
Progressive Field
Three Rivers
Camden Yards
Memorial Stadium
Jack Murphy Stadium (SD)
RFK
Nationals Park
Cora Kelly Elementary
Space Coast
Richmond Squirrels (AA)

Offline DPMOmaha

Wrigley Field
Kaufmann Stadium
US Cellular Park
Coors Field
Old Tiger Stadium
Old Busch Stadium
New Busch Stadium
Dodger Stadium
Rosenblatt Stadium

Rosenblatt will always and forever be my favorite place.  I spent a lot of time there, I miss it big time.

In terms of big league parks, New Busch Stadium is gorgeous, Old Tiger Stadium was really cool.  Kaufmann Stadium is sneaky good.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Griffith Stadium
DC Stadium
Old Yankee Stadium (1970...the original old Yankee Stadium)
New Yankee Stadium (the $175 million gut rehab that Mayor Lindsay gave to Von Steingrabber)
Shea
New Yankee Stadium
New Shea (aka "Ctitfield")
New Bush Stadium

ML parks:

Myrtle Beach Blue Jays
Oneonta (Oneonta Yankees A)
Harrisburg (under new Nats affiliation)
Yogi Berra Field (independent league Jersey Jackals)

Best? Griffith Stadium. Close to the field...close enough that Pete Ramos hopped into a box seat and chatted with his fans  before the first game that the "Twins" played in DC. Cozy: with 15,000 fans, old Griffith felt packed and lively. True baseball smell of cigars mixed with that bakery (Bond Bread?).

Worst? Shea, and nothing else close. Needed binoculars to read the numbers on the players. LF box seats, near dugout, had lights aimed at your eyes. 

On principle: all the indoor places, all the astro-turf fields. Mediocre hitters, like Vince Coleman, could tap a routine grounder that took off like a rocket through the infield.

Among current: Nats Park, of course, and also because it has that handy walk all around the park. Current Busch and Citifield seem similar once you get inside.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Fenway, Camden Yards, RFK, Nationals Park, Three Rivers, Veterans Stadium, Ballpark at Arlington, Astrodome, Angel Stadium, Safeco

Best is tough.  I loved the aesthetic at Safeco but navigation was a bit of a pain.  Angel Stadium had a great concourse, but visually, it's nothing special.  Nats Park and Camden have a good combo of both.

Worst was the Vet.  Fitting.

Offline Count Walewski

US Cellular, Wrigley, Fenway, Miller Park, Chase Field, Nats Park, Turner Field, Kauffman Stadium, the second-to-most-recent Busch, New Yankee Stadium, Rogers Centre, PNC Park

The most underrated stadium, IMO, is Kauffman. It dates from the 70's, but you'd never know it: the "water spectacular" in center field is great, and they just installed an enormous new high-definition scoreboard in center field. I attended a 13-inning game there, which ended at 1 AM, and they still had the post-game fireworks show, which I appreciated, and which probably would not have happened if the stadium were not in the middle of nowhere several  miles outside of town.

I really want to see the two Florida stadiums. If I had to guess which stadium I'd visit next, I'd say Citi Field.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
8 major league - Fenway, the renovated old Yankee, the Vet, OPACY, Nats Park, RFK, Coors, and the Kingdome.  OPACY and Coors are my favorite, the Vet the worst.  Biggest goose bumps were walking into Yankee from a tunnel behind the home plate screen and seeing that field for the first time from gorund level.

I agree Kauffman would be a great take in.  It and Dodger have the reputation of being the best pre-OPACY still in use.

As for Fenway, it is better for visitors than it is for day-to-day attendees.  It is even better for visitors when the road team sweeps.

Offline markfnc

A real cool thing I just thought of.  We were at Skydome in 1994 before strike.  Sitting in Hard Rock to see a game was cool.  Next night behind 3rd base it started to rain and the roof closed.  Being in Construction I was just amazed wathcing that close.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
MLB:

Nationals Park
Camden Yards
Yankees Stadium (old)
Tropicana Field

MiLB:

The Diamond (Richmond)
Salem Municipal Stadium (old)
Salem Memorial Ballpark (new)
Calvin Falwell Field (Lynchburg)
Coastal Federal Field (Myrtle Beach)

Offline heeman82

MLB:

Natstown/RFK
Sun Life Stadium
Shea stadium
Citifield
Citizens bank park
PNC park
Progressive field
Yankees stadium
Turner field
Kauffman stadium
Camden yards

Favorite by far is PNC park

Offline Count Walewski

A real cool thing I just thought of.  We were at Skydome in 1994 before strike.  Sitting in Hard Rock to see a game was cool.  Next night behind 3rd base it started to rain and the roof closed.  Being in Construction I was just amazed wathcing that close.

Yeah, I think Skydome gets a bad rap. I thought it was a really cool place to see a ballgame, and it's unique in a lot of ways, being a complex and not just a dome.

Miller Park is another stadium that I used to think was highly underrated, but it's been getting props recently. It finished very highly in an online fan vote recently, iirc. Only flaw IMO is that you can't see the field from much of the concourse.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
I seem to recall a couple doing the nasty against the floor-to-ceiling window in their room in the hotel that faces the field @Skydome.  The crowd grew less and less interested in the game until they were roaring their approval at the show up on the 8th floor.  I guess hotel security had to pay a visit.

My fave stadium was Candlestick...you could have three seasons in the space of a single inning.  And maybe an earthquake too. 

Yeah, I think Skydome gets a bad rap. I thought it was a really cool place to see a ballgame, and it's unique in a lot of ways, being a complex and not just a dome.

Miller Park is another stadium that I used to think was highly underrated, but it's been getting props recently. It finished very highly in an online fan vote recently, iirc. Only flaw IMO is that you can't see the field from much of the concourse.

Offline mitlen

I seem to recall a couple doing the nasty against the floor-to-ceiling window in their room in the hotel that faces the field @Skydome.  The crowd grew less and less interested in the game until they were roaring their approval at the show up on the 8th floor.  I guess hotel security had to pay a visit.

Strikes a bell with me as well.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Scranton-Wilkes Barre has a neat minor league park. Reclaimed strip mine right by a ski area.
It just got a complete overhaul. The SWB Yankees played the 2012 season at a 3rd part location. New SWB Park opens in April.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Is it Harrisburg whose stadium is in the middle of a lake?

Offline mitlen

Is it Harrisburg whose stadium is in the middle of a lake?

I think it sits on an island in the Susquehanna and when she overflows   ...   the park goes under.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I think it sits on an island in the Susquehanna and when she overflows   ...   the park goes under.

But it's a nice stadium, and the island is a city park...with a walk-over bridge connecting the island to a park near the state capitol.