Author Topic: Gio linked to roids???  (Read 23747 times)

Offline ernie0326

Re: Gio linked to roids???
« Reply #525: February 20, 2013, 05:46:33 AM »
I'm glad this little episode will have a happy ending.  Now, let's get ready for the season.  Hopefully, Gio and Ross will come out of the WBC unscathed.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #526: February 20, 2013, 08:13:01 AM »
Gio may become the first athlete whose "I've been linked but I'm innocent" is actually provable.

with apologies to all who have been rumored about but never shown up in documents or tests.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #527: February 20, 2013, 09:46:10 AM »
Gio may become the first athlete whose "I've been linked but I'm innocent" is actually provable.

with apologies to all who have been rumored about but never shown up in documents or tests.

He's been proven innocent? You must have read different articles than I did.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #528: February 20, 2013, 09:47:27 AM »
He's been proven innocent? You must have read different articles than I did.
If you want to believe that no baseball player can be proven innocent, you can go ahead and believe that. But Gio is the first ballplayer for whom a specific set of accusations has been proven untrue.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #529: February 20, 2013, 09:50:34 AM »
If you want to believe that no baseball player can be proven innocent, you can go ahead and believe that. But Gio is the first ballplayer for whom a specific set of accusations has been proven untrue.

we must have difference definitions of 'proven'

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #530: February 20, 2013, 09:57:28 AM »

Proven true by two anonymous sources? WTF is that? At least the guy from the free paper in Miami used his name. Gio denied any dealings with the doctor, yet this new anonymous report says that he was buying only legal substances. So if you believe the anonymous sources then you believe that Gio lied about his association. To me the big question remains what Gio's father spent thousands of dollars on last summer, weight loss drugs just doesn't sound plausible.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #531: February 20, 2013, 10:07:39 AM »
Proven true by two anonymous sources? WTF is that? At least the guy from the free paper in Miami used his name. Gio denied any dealings with the doctor, yet this new anonymous report says that he was buying only legal substances. So if you believe the anonymous sources then you believe that Gio lied about his association. To me the big question remains what Gio's father spent thousands of dollars on last summer, weight loss drugs just doesn't sound plausible.

1. The clinic was failing financially.
2. Max Gonzalez arrives in his Ferrari, bragging about his MLB son Gio, who gave it to him.
3. Gonzalez lives nearby and knows a Cuban there.
4. The clinic is still failing financially...
5. Max gets a special, ripoff price, and a promise of weight loss, for something he can get off the Interwebs for a lot less money.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #532: February 20, 2013, 10:18:42 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)
1. The clinic was failing financially.
2. Max Gonzalez arrives in his Ferrari, bragging about his MLB son Gio, who gave it to him.
3. Gonzalez lives nearby and knows a Cuban there.
4. The clinic is still failing financially...
5. Max gets a special, ripoff price, and a promise of weight loss, for something he can get off the Interwebs for a lot less money.

Very possible and possibly even probable but certainly not the proof that was touted below.

Offline loshjott

« Reply #533: February 20, 2013, 10:32:29 AM »
I'm imagining a series of conversations like this:

MLB: Gio, your name came up in this PED report, we are investigating.

Gio: I did nothing wrong.

MLB: So far, it's looking good for you. Hey, how about pitching in the World Baseball Classic? We'd really love it.

Gio: OK

(Later) MLB: It looks like you didn't buy any illegal substances.

Gio: Can I pull out of the WBC now?

MLB: Remember, we can still suspend you based purely on suspicions.

Gio: How about I skip the first round of the WBC? Can I do that?

MLB: OK

Offline blue911

« Reply #534: February 20, 2013, 10:42:57 AM »
To me the issue is nobody believes that passing the MLB tests have any meaning. If passing the test isn't worth a damn then they need to figure out how to improve them. Until then, they all fall into the guilty as charged category.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #535: February 20, 2013, 11:12:41 AM »

we must have difference definitions of 'proven'

"Found innocent" is the correct phrase.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #536: February 20, 2013, 11:15:04 AM »

Found innocent by who?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #537: February 20, 2013, 11:24:18 AM »
Found innocent by who?

That would be "whom".

Offline Rick

« Reply #538: February 20, 2013, 11:36:06 AM »
The biggest problem with Gio-- I was just watching MLB network and they said it looks like he got substances from biogenisis, but the substances are not banned by MLB. That is the good news. The problem is Gio denied taking anything by Biogenisis.  It looks like his name is pretty much cleared since it looks like he took nothing illegal..but as for the larger investigation is concerned it is important to know whether Gio did some sort of business with Biogenisis- (not his dad, but him.)

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #539: February 20, 2013, 11:36:57 AM »
Actually "found innocent" is provisionally incorrect. "Found" incorrect because MLB has not finalized their findings. And "not guilty" is the legal phrase here.

We don't know that Gio is innocent. We do have reasonable doubt, based on these reports and based on previous reports that the Nationals were told not to worry about him, that he bought illegal substances from Biogenesis. Reasonable doubt is all that is necessary to establish a verdict of "not guilty" in a court of law.

At this point in time, the evidence that Gio Gonzalez purchased illegal substances is purely conjectural. There is evidence he knew Biogenesis and purchased legal goods from them.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #540: February 20, 2013, 11:40:10 AM »
Found innocent by who?

That would be "whom".

Thanks fellas.   I needed that   ...   :)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #541: February 20, 2013, 11:42:47 AM »
Uh Oh

Grammar Nazi is not pleased :nono:

Offline Rick

« Reply #542: February 20, 2013, 11:44:15 AM »
Uh Oh

Grammar Nazi is not pleased :nono:

You need some punctuation marks. Where are your periods?

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #543: February 20, 2013, 11:59:30 AM »
The biggest problem with Gio-- I was just watching MLB network and they said it looks like he got substances from biogenisis, but the substances are not banned by MLB. That is the good news. The problem is Gio denied taking anything by Biogenisis.  It looks like his name is pretty much cleared since it looks like he took nothing illegal..but as for the larger investigation is concerned it is important to know whether Gio did some sort of business with Biogenisis- (not his dad, but him.)

It is nice to see that MLB sources and the sports media have been this quick in reporting exculpatory information. I had a fear that this would be dragged out longer with a bigger cloud of uncertainty. That said, the latest reports do say he was taking substances (medically dubious ones at that) that were not banned. It is still worth asking what he was doing with those and why he would choose this clinic. I had the same thought about his denial and needed to go back and look at it:

"I've never used performance-enhancing drugs of any kind, and I never will. I've never met or spoken with Tony Bosch or used any substances provided by him. Anything said to the contrary is a lie."

Technically, Gio's claim is consistent with the latest report, if he never got the substances from or spoke to Bosch personally. That's very lawyerly, which I don't blame him for. It makes sense to pick your words carefully. However, it could be viewed as disingenuous, since it wasn't upfront about any actual connection to the clinic or substances from there. To put this to bed once and for all, he needs to be completely open with the team at least. At a minimum, he showed some poor judgement associating himself with this clinic, unless he intends to deny these latest reports.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #544: February 20, 2013, 12:09:30 PM »
The drugs associated with Gio are mostly for weight loss, as I understand it, which is exactly what Gio's father said he went there for. Maybe the notation in the notebooks were just wrong and the drugs weren't for Gio, but his Dad.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #545: February 20, 2013, 12:35:30 PM »
The drugs associated with Gio are mostly for weight loss, as I understand it, which is exactly what Gio's father said he went there for. Maybe the notation in the notebooks were just wrong and the drugs weren't for Gio, but his Dad.

For someone with notes that officials seem to be taking as iron clad... I find it hard to believe he'd mistake Gio for his father.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #546: February 20, 2013, 12:42:55 PM »
For someone with notes that officials seem to be taking as iron clad... I find it hard to believe he'd mistake Gio for his father.

Yeah, and if one is to act under the assumption that the latest reports are accurate and the two quoted sources are to be believed regarding what Gio, did or did not take, it would seem highly unlikely that they wouldn't have cleared up that detail in the discussions. It seems clear that the inside sources in question are referring to Gio. Of course, this story could continue to evolve and it end up being that he was never involved at all, and it was all his father (still pretty stupid), but that all remains to be seen. Right now, the dark cloud has cleared out mostly above Gio's head, but it isn't all sunshine and rainbows - yet.

It is not hard to believe that his Dad started going there for the fountain of youth nonsense and Gio ended up tagging along for something else (or vice versa).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #547: February 20, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »

Quite a distance between "found innocent" and "not enough evidence to prove guilt".

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #548: February 20, 2013, 01:34:14 PM »
You need some punctuation marks. Where are your periods?

Appearing with in the next 28 or so days?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #549: February 20, 2013, 02:05:08 PM »
A "provable" denial was sloppy wording on my part, but I can't think of many cases where an alleged PED user ever had the major evidence undercut enough to make people inclined to say "he did not" rather than "he did."  I don't recall anyone producing exculpatory evidence within the documentation of the primary source of evidence against him.