Author Topic: Gio linked to roids???  (Read 23706 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Gio linked to roids???
« Reply #50: January 29, 2013, 09:52:06 AM »
he as a minor leaguer- no union protections

Right you are.

I don't expect a Gio suspension... but you never know what the MLB will decide is the "right" thing to do.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #51: January 29, 2013, 09:53:17 AM »
but you never know what the MLB will decide is the "right" thing to do.

the can decide whatever they want- they still have to prove their case before an arbitrator (the same venue where braun's sample sitting over night was enough to get a positive test kicked out)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #52: January 29, 2013, 09:53:40 AM »
the can decide whatever they want- they still have to prove their case before an arbitrator (the same venue where braun's sample sitting over night was enough to get a positive test kicked out)

Apparently not.

And I don't think this qualifies as "Just Cause" but Selig apparently does have the power. :(

@craigcalcaterra

Update: missed before, but Section G of the JDA allows Selig to suspend based on "just cause."...

Offline Rasta

« Reply #53: January 29, 2013, 09:58:10 AM »
The suspension would be bad, but as others have mentioned, I am way more worried that he was using and that he's not the same pitcher without it.  That would suck way more than him missing some starts this year.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #54: January 29, 2013, 09:58:13 AM »
Apparently not.

And I don't think this qualifies as "Just Cause" but Selig apparently does have the power. :(

The Arbitration Panel shall have jurisdiction to review any determination that a
Player has violated the Program...
http://mlb.mlb.com/pa/pdf/jda.pdf

still appealable

Offline MorseMythology

« Reply #55: January 29, 2013, 10:08:35 AM »
None of the substances linked to him in that story are banned by Major League Baseball.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #56: January 29, 2013, 10:11:06 AM »
Will his clothing line contain flaps for easy access for cream application?

Offline Rasta

« Reply #57: January 29, 2013, 10:13:49 AM »
The bottom line is we don't know the whole story.  The article only lists what the reporters were able to view.  There may be thousands of documents the reporters haven't even seen.  Hopefully, Gio was only using the amino rip and zinc and things that weren't banned.  If his Dad is telling the truth and he's only used the substances mentioned that aren't illegal then he'll probably be fine.  If not, and there is a paper trail, then he's screwed.  Hopefully he's telling the truth.  We'll find out in the near future. 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #58: January 29, 2013, 10:17:17 AM »
...oh well, it was fun while it lasted....

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #59: January 29, 2013, 10:17:40 AM »
But nothing surprises me when it comes to who used/who didn't.

Hate to be so cynical but me either.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #60: January 29, 2013, 10:18:21 AM »
The bottom line is we don't know the whole story.  The article only lists what the reporters were able to view.  There may be thousands of documents the reporters haven't even seen.  Hopefully, Gio was only using the amino rip and zinc and things that weren't banned.  If his Dad is telling the truth and he's only used the substances mentioned that aren't illegal then he'll probably be fine.  If not, and there is a paper trail, then he's screwed.  Hopefully he's telling the truth.  We'll find out in the near future. 

At this point, I think it would be naive to suggest he wasn't using something, and if I had my way, that's all it'll ever be a suggestion, as if he keeps his mouth shut, no one will know either way whether or not he used. Good guys do bad things as well. As someone else said in this thread, all that's likely to happen is that it'll hurt Gio's first ballot chances for the HOF. :)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #61: January 29, 2013, 10:20:09 AM »
Hate to be so cynical but me either.

As I also said... the only guy that would truly shake me to the core would be if Jr. Griffey used. That would be a sad sad day for me.

Offline Rasta

« Reply #62: January 29, 2013, 10:22:13 AM »
At this point, I think it would be naive to suggest he wasn't using something, and if I had my way, that's all it'll ever be a suggestion, as if he keeps his mouth shut, no one will know either way whether or not he used. Good guys do bad things as well. As someone else said in this thread, all that's likely to happen is that it'll hurt Gio's first ballot chances for the HOF. :)

Agreed.  My first reaction was he's going to get the 50 game ban.  I just hope he's the same pitcher once he comes back if he is suspended.  My only point was that this article is probably just the tip of the iceberg in terms of documents.  My guess is that a lot more comes out in the near future. 

Spring training probably isn't going to be fun for Gio. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #63: January 29, 2013, 10:22:45 AM »
Crap, just eat a lot of pho instead. 

"Aminorip" is SUCH a Miami kind of product name. 

pre-digested collagen protein.  It isn't on the banned substance list AFAIK.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #64: January 29, 2013, 10:24:13 AM »
As I also said... the only guy that would truly shake me to the core would be if Jr. Griffey used. That would be a sad sad day for me.

Guess I'm a littler more cynical than you.  :)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #65: January 29, 2013, 10:25:38 AM »
Guess I'm the only one here who believes in innocent until proven guilty?  As others have said, some scribbles in a notebook mean nothing, especially when his last name isn't even in those scribbles.

Offline Hogie

« Reply #66: January 29, 2013, 10:26:33 AM »
GUILTY!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #67: January 29, 2013, 10:28:03 AM »
Guess I'm the only one here who believes in innocent until proven guilty?  As others have said, some scribbles in a notebook mean nothing, especially when his last name isn't even in those scribbles.

Where did you see his last name didn't appear in the notebook?

Offline PC

« Reply #68: January 29, 2013, 10:29:08 AM »
Gonzalez's father, Max, also appears on Bosch's client lists and is often listed in conjunction with the pitcher. But reached by phone, the Hialeah resident insists his son has had no contact with Bosch.

"My son works very, very hard, and he's as clean as apple pie," the elder Gonzalez says. "I went to Tony because I needed to lose weight. A friend recommended him, and he did great work for me. But that's it. He never met my son. Never. And if I knew he was doing these things with steroids, do you think I'd be dumb enough to go there?"

Am I missing something here?  Why has this been dismissed as false?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #69: January 29, 2013, 10:29:46 AM »
Am I missing something here?  Why has this been dismissed as false?

:roll:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #70: January 29, 2013, 10:30:03 AM »
Where did you see his last name didn't appear in the notebook?

OP quote just says "Gio" and I've seen no other sources that directly quote what was supposedly in said notebook.

Offline madj55

« Reply #71: January 29, 2013, 10:30:16 AM »
His last name wasn't even in it?! How're they linking him to this then?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #72: January 29, 2013, 10:31:17 AM »
OP quote just says "Gio" and I've seen no other sources that directly quote what was supposedly in said notebook.

How else would he be linked if his last name wasn't in there? Gio, while not common, would not be enough to link him to it. I think it is safe to assume his last name is in the notebook.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #73: January 29, 2013, 10:32:56 AM »
A notebook of a known PED dealer with your name in it five times is evidence, even if flimsy... but it is evidence.
Circumstantial.

Could be another Gio Gonzalez, or just someone using his name.

Now, I'm not naive, it's probably the real Gio Gonzalez, but in a court of law (or baseball with a powerful union), I'm pretty sure they'll need more than a name in a notebook....

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #74: January 29, 2013, 10:33:09 AM »

probably- if the doctor was legitimate, I'd go with that, but he appears to be an unlicensed (his father is a real doctor- he was a self described bio chemist http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8884955/mlb-investigating-south-florida-ground-zero-ped-war) doctor specializing in hgh- it's hard to come up with a legitimate reason to go there