Author Topic: Gio linked to roids???  (Read 23686 times)

Offline heeman82

Offline houston-nat

Re: Gio linked to roids???
« Reply #376: February 02, 2013, 10:18:05 PM »
What the hell? Does that mean the word is going to be censored out in the zoo everytime?
Wait, does it still say Pealollipop every time?

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #377: February 02, 2013, 10:54:38 PM »
Wait, does it still say Pealollipop every time?

No, Pea****

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #378: February 02, 2013, 11:03:25 PM »
No, Pea****
I think Pealollipop was before you joined... our censors originally substituted other words for the dirty ones. That's where "bang zoon nages" came from too. But we had to make a change after everybody started paying attention to Brad Pealollipop and a catching prospect named Brian Pealollipop (now with the Reds' AAA affiliate, by the way).

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #379: February 02, 2013, 11:46:17 PM »
No relation.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #380: February 02, 2013, 11:53:38 PM »
Wagner loves the c0ck

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #381: February 03, 2013, 11:50:07 AM »
I think Pealollipop was before you joined... our censors originally substituted other words for the dirty ones. That's where "bang zoon nages" came from too. But we had to make a change after everybody started paying attention to Brad Pealollipop and a catching prospect named Brian Pealollipop (now with the Reds' AAA affiliate, by the way).
:lol: nages as nages, crap as crap, freak as freak still show up, yet cock appears as ****

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #382: February 03, 2013, 01:33:50 PM »
I believe the cu-bomb is censored too.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #383: February 03, 2013, 05:59:47 PM »
You mean kangaroo?

Edit- KANGAROO?!?!?!?!?!

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #384: February 03, 2013, 06:02:24 PM »
kangaroo

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #385: February 03, 2013, 06:02:51 PM »
that's a funny censor

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #386: February 03, 2013, 09:41:37 PM »
Nats are rumored to be looking into trading for a left starter. What about Lannan? :couch:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #387: February 03, 2013, 10:29:22 PM »
Nats are rumored to be looking into trading for a left starter. What about Lannan? :couch:

How pissed will Detwiler be if we have to sign another starter and Ross ends up as the odd man out?

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #388: February 04, 2013, 02:50:15 PM »

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #389: February 04, 2013, 08:37:17 PM »
Yes, I'm inclined to favor Gio. Even so, his year-by-year numbers don't look like those of a steroid guy. We can see when Melky started. Same with Sammy Sosa (36 homers one year; 66 the next???). Same with Barry Bonds, who gained about 30 pounds of muscle and had an entire new career as a home run hitter after he turned 35. And Mark Macgwire, who was easing out of baseball, one of the Bash Brothers just finishing it out, when he and Sosa passed 60 home runs.

Clemens pitched well past his "sell-by" date, and went berserk at Mike Piazza in a WS game...thrfew a piece of bat at Piazza without knowing what he'd done.

Gio shows no roid-rage, and his career looks like normal improvement.

So...until he tests positive, or there is good evidence, I'm ignoring this story.

More important: can Espinosa lift his batting average and cut his strikeouts? Anybody want to explain the difference between a strikeout and a sacrifice bunt that pops out to the pitcher?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #390: February 04, 2013, 09:11:39 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/gio-gonzalez-is-keeping-low-profile-since-report-linking-him-to-alleged-supplier-of-peds/2013/02/02/69c76a6e-6d72-11e2-ada0-5ca5fa7ebe79_story.html

Saw that in the paper a couple of days ago. I can summarize it in two words: Nobody's talking.

Slow news days for baseball.

The calm before the storm when pitchers and catchers report and the media takes turns asking each Nat whether the coverage is a distraction.  Last time we had a springtime scandal the GM resigned.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #391: February 04, 2013, 09:48:05 PM »
I'm not sure the last GM's resignation had much to do with the distraction he caused (to the extent that can be said about Bowden, given that he was basically always a distraction).  Probably had a lot more to do with the bonus skimming.  Maybe also involved the very poor teams he assembled.  What that has to do with Gio Gonzalez, I'm not really sure.  Other than the springtime connection. 

Offline Upark25

« Reply #392: February 04, 2013, 10:28:59 PM »
How pissed will Detwiler be if we have to sign another starter and Ross ends up as the odd man out?

I don't think he would be too upset, it's not like he would be getting sent down to the minors like Lannan last season. On the topic I would actually like to see Rizzo go all the way in and offer Kyle Lohse maybe something around a 2 year 25 million dollar deal similar to Sorianos and move Det to the bullpen. Off course I'm just purely going off the top off my head and really don't know the market or asking price for Lohse, but it's something to think about until spring training.

SP Strasburg
SP Gonzalez
SP Zimmermann
SP Lohse
SP Haren

SP Soriano
RP Storen
RP Clippard
RP Mattheus
RP Detwiler
RP Stammen
RP Duke

Just plain filthy.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #393: February 05, 2013, 10:28:40 AM »
Interesting idea.  If the budget were unlimited, we'd be better off with Lohse than without.  Especially with the uncertainty surrounding Gio now.  Also, we could trade Lohse next offseason to recoup the cost of the 2nd round pick we'd give up by signing him.

If the budget allows for it, I'd prefer this, I think, to trading something of more value for Morales from the Red Sox.  They would probably want Skole or someone like that.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #394: February 05, 2013, 10:43:51 AM »
I'm not sure the last GM's resignation had much to do with the distraction he caused (to the extent that can be said about Bowden, given that he was basically always a distraction).  Probably had a lot more to do with the bonus skimming.  Maybe also involved the very poor teams he assembled.  What that has to do with Gio Gonzalez, I'm not really sure.  Other than the springtime connection. 

Right, the spring time connection, that's all I wrote, this will be the second spring training when off field issues will be the subject of much of the media focus.

And yes, Bowden resigned due to the media calling for his head, going into the season the Lerner family had expected him to continue as GM despite all of the allegations.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #395: February 05, 2013, 10:52:23 AM »
I don't think he would be too upset, it's not like he would be getting sent down to the minors like Lannan last season. On the topic I would actually like to see Rizzo go all the way in and offer Kyle Lohse maybe something around a 2 year 25 million dollar deal similar to Sorianos and move Det to the bullpen. Off course I'm just purely going off the top off my head and really don't know the market or asking price for Lohse, but it's something to think about until spring training.

SP Strasburg
SP Gonzalez
SP Zimmermann
SP Lohse
SP Haren

SP Soriano
RP Storen
RP Clippard
RP Mattheus
RP Detwiler
RP Stammen
RP Duke

Just plain filthy.

Looks good to me, but I'd stand by my previous post that Detwiler would be less than thrilled.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #396: February 05, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »
I'm just not that in to Lohse.  Maybe it is from his AL days, maybe it is the age.  I know he's been fine in St. L, but he's 34, relied a lot on a high strand rate (77+%) to keep his ERA low, and with no huge change in his GB and FB rates but a dramatic improvement in his BABIP (.030), the past 2 years says unsustainable to me.  I look at some of the adjusted defense independent pitching measures like xFIP and SIERA, and I see a lot of warning flags telling me he'd be just a league average starter here.  This looks like a waste of money and a pick at 2/ $25MM. 

I might start throwing some stuff against the wall and look at signing minor league contracts for Dallas Braden and Joe Saunders to get a little extra veteran depth in Syracuse if we need it for the rotation.  Low risk with a decent likelihood for league average performance.  [edit - ok, not Braden if he still is not pitching, but the gust is a few guys on minor league contracts before Lohse]

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #397: February 05, 2013, 02:26:18 PM »
Why would Saunders sign a minor league deal when he has a couple major league offers on the table.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #398: February 05, 2013, 02:57:52 PM »
Because I'll believe those major league offers when I see him sign?

Basic point here is I'll be happy with a few major league pitchers with warts on them signed to a minor league contract with the hope that, if needed, one turns out roughly MLB average to commiting to 2 years and $25MM (and loss of draft choice and pool money) that signing Lohse would ential.  I just don't think Lohse can be expected to be bettet than middling once you knock away the contributors to his ERA and wins that are not likely to be repeated.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #399: February 05, 2013, 02:59:42 PM »
Just heard a Jim Rome (I know .. dikweed) report on 106.7 about our Dr. Bosch and ARod.    Appears ARod has serious issues.