Author Topic: NHL/RACISM/CANADIANS  (Read 1523 times)

nospinzone1

NHL/RACISM/CANADIANS
« Topic Start: March 04, 2007, 01:33:01 AM »
A LITTLE UNJUST POWER PLAY AT LAST NIGHT'S GAME GOT MY THINKING JUICES GOING ON THE SUBJECT. TOUGH MAN BRASHIAR OF THE CAPS GOT A FOUR MINUTE DOUBLE MINOR WHICH WAS REALLY ONE OF THE WORSE CALLS OF AN OFFICIAL I HAVE SEEN. BRASHIAR IS BLACK. THERE ARE NOT MANY BLACKS IN ANY CAPACITY IN THE NHL. WHY ARENT THERE MORE BLACK PLAYERS IN THE NHL? ARE REFEREES RACISTS ESPECIALLY IN THIS OCCASSION? THE INFRACTION WAS NOT EVEN CALLAEBLE WITH 99 PERCENT OF WHITE PLAYERS.

ABOUT CANADIANS IN GENERAL: I WORKED WITH SEVERAL CANADIAN FELLOWS FOR YEARS. THEY ARE NICE , HARD WORKING CHAPS, FRIENDLY AND WITTY. THEY ARE NOT AS OUTWARDLY AS RACISTS AS , LETS SAY A LOT OF AMERICANS. BUT THERE IS A QUIET RACISM IN THEM. MOSTLY I LIKE CANADIANS BUT THEY SEEM TO HAVE INHERITED SOME OF THE PACIFISM OF THE FRENCH.

PARDON THE RANT.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Re: NHL/RACISM/CANADIANS
« Reply #1: March 04, 2007, 01:40:15 AM »
Wait till Ken sees this :)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2: March 04, 2007, 02:59:00 AM »
That 4 minute double minor penalty was utter crape.

The racism in Canada is different from here (in the U.S.)...it's mainly directed towards natives, rather than blacks.  Brashear might disagree, but that's certainly the impression I got during the many years I lived in BC and Quebec.

But that was a crappy call...I'm just not sure it had jack to do with race.   

nospinzone1

« Reply #3: March 04, 2007, 05:27:28 AM »
racism in Canada is not different than in my native Cuba. It is not done in front of the person, rather when a black leaves a group then is when they talk about them. and not nicely.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #4: March 04, 2007, 06:02:08 AM »
This is one of those threads that has the tendency to go South real fast.  To be honest, I'm sorry that it was introduced and we mods are going to have to babysit it very carefully.   :?

nospinzone1

« Reply #5: March 04, 2007, 10:28:56 AM »
This is one of those threads that has the tendency to go South real fast.  To be honest, I'm sorry that it was introduced and we mods are going to have to babysit it very carefully.   :?

I SAID THE CANADIAN FOLKS I WORKED WITH FOR MANY YEARS WERE DECENT HARD WORKING FOLKS. I DO NOT HAVE ANY ILL FEELINGS FOR CANADIANS, EXCEPT THE GOVERMENT THAT I FEEL ARE PACIFISTS A LA FRENCH. HAVING SAID THAT I DONT SEE THE NEED TO CHOKE THOUGHTS. . . THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #6: March 04, 2007, 01:39:08 PM »
It's not racism. It's just that the officials in the NHL are flat out terrible. Especially considering this wasn't a very high-marquee game.

Brash barely touched Witt, but he has a reputation so they decided to give him the double minor. Bullcrap? Hell yes. That's just how it is, we touch them, get screwed, they touch us, we get screwed.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #7: March 04, 2007, 06:24:34 PM »
A LITTLE UNJUST POWER PLAY AT LAST NIGHT'S GAME GOT MY THINKING JUICES GOING ON THE SUBJECT. TOUGH MAN BRASHIAR OF THE CAPS GOT A FOUR MINUTE DOUBLE MINOR WHICH WAS REALLY ONE OF THE WORSE CALLS OF AN OFFICIAL I HAVE SEEN. BRASHIAR IS BLACK. THERE ARE NOT MANY BLACKS IN ANY CAPACITY IN THE NHL. WHY ARENT THERE MORE BLACK PLAYERS IN THE NHL? ARE REFEREES RACISTS ESPECIALLY IN THIS OCCASSION? THE INFRACTION WAS NOT EVEN CALLAEBLE WITH 99 PERCENT OF WHITE PLAYERS.

ABOUT CANADIANS IN GENERAL: I WORKED WITH SEVERAL CANADIAN FELLOWS FOR YEARS. THEY ARE NICE , HARD WORKING CHAPS, FRIENDLY AND WITTY. THEY ARE NOT AS OUTWARDLY AS RACISTS AS , LETS SAY A LOT OF AMERICANS. BUT THERE IS A QUIET RACISM IN THEM. MOSTLY I LIKE CANADIANS BUT THEY SEEM TO HAVE INHERITED SOME OF THE PACIFISM OF THE FRENCH.

PARDON THE RANT.

I attend or watch well over 100 hockey games a year, and here's my response to your rant.

• Referees have a much higher percentage of good days than players. And I do mean, MUCH HIGHER
  • Referees "DO" have bad days
  • Referees will sometimes let the mood of the game dictate how they officiate a game
  • Referees WILL call some penalties as a preventative to keep control of the game
  • Referees take part in at least as many, and very often more games per year than players do
  • Referees are ALWAYS on the road
  • Referees in the NHL see more of what is transpiring on the ice that any 3 fans with average knowledge of the game
  • Referees will sometimes get watch memos on teams, players and even coaches. Race/color has nothing to do with the memos
  • Referees unlike 99% of hockey fans know the game inside out
  • Referees 99% of the time will just smile and let the fan who thinks he knows hockey, rant

When a referee makes a call in favor of the home team, the fans will with either say nothing, assuming it was a good call or they'll cheer, but when that same referee makes a call against their team, they call him names. It's all part of the game, but to call an official a racist because he made a call against a black player, is another form of racism and prejudice in itself. So while the referee smiles quietly, you go ahead and rant, because he knows fans are wrong most of the time due to lack of knowledge.

Oh, and having watched many a game in which Donald Brashear played for the Montreal Canadiens, I saw him get away with more than he was ever call for, so excuse me if I tell you to take your name calling and shove it. Brashear got the extra 2 minutes for UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT, not because he was black. Had he kept his mouth shut, he would have gotten the roughing and nothing else.

• The low number of black players in the NHL is neither the team's or the league's fault
  • The low number of black players in the NHL might have more to do with their love of other sports
  • The low number of black players in the NHL is due to a lack of interest in the sport

A very (VERY) small percentage of junior and college players end up playing profession hockey. Of those players, another very (VERY) small percentage end up playing at least one NHL game. The fact that the majority of players are white has nothing to do with the odds of a black player climbing the ladder to the NHL. They are the same, regardless of color. Regardless of how many black players there are in the NHL they share the same odds against them making the NHL are pretty much any other player.

As for racism in Canada, there's no place on this planet where some form of prejudice doesn't exist. Like any other country, racism/prejudice is just as easily fueled by power, as it is by ignorance. Knowing that, which one fuels yours?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #8: March 04, 2007, 07:32:51 PM »
Ken, I totally agree with everything you say, but what brash did was NOTHING. He tapped Witt on the chest and Witt just stared at him and Brash got 4. He did nothing outside of what I see after every play. It wasn't racist, just incompetent officiating, which happens a lot against the Caps. They've lost 3-4 games this year off very iffy calls. You may call me a homer but some of the calls I've seen this year are just unbelieveable.

nospinzone1

« Reply #9: March 04, 2007, 09:23:18 PM »
I
I attend or watch well over 100 hockey games a year, and here's my response to your rant.

• Referees have a much higher percentage of good days than players. And I do mean, MUCH HIGHER
  • Referees "DO" have bad days
  • Referees will sometimes let the mood of the game dictate how they officiate a game
  • Referees WILL call some penalties as a preventative to keep control of the game
  • Referees take part in at least as many, and very often more games per year than players do
  • Referees are ALWAYS on the road
  • Referees in the NHL see more of what is transpiring on the ice that any 3 fans with average knowledge of the game
  • Referees will sometimes get watch memos on teams, players and even coaches. Race/color has nothing to do with the memos
  • Referees unlike 99% of hockey fans know the game inside out
  • Referees 99% of the time will just smile and let the fan who thinks he knows hockey, rant

When a referee makes a call in favor of the home team, the fans will with either say nothing, assuming it was a good call or they'll cheer, but when that same referee makes a call against their team, they call him names. It's all part of the game, but to call an official a racist because he made a call against a black player, is another form of racism and prejudice in itself. So while the referee smiles quietly, you go ahead and rant, because he knows fans are wrong most of the time due to lack of knowledge.

Oh, and having watched many a game in which Donald Brashear played for the Montreal Canadiens, I saw him get away with more than he was ever call for, so excuse me if I tell you to take your name calling and shove it. Brashear got the extra 2 minutes for UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT, not because he was black. Had he kept his mouth shut, he would have gotten the roughing and nothing else.

• The low number of black players in the NHL is neither the team's or the league's fault
  • The low number of black players in the NHL might have more to do with their love of other sports
  • The low number of black players in the NHL is due to a lack of interest in the sport

A very (VERY) small percentage of junior and college players end up playing profession hockey. Of those players, another very (VERY) small percentage end up playing at least one NHL game. The fact that the majority of players are white has nothing to do with the odds of a black player climbing the ladder to the NHL. They are the same, regardless of color. Regardless of how many black players there are in the NHL they share the same odds against them making the NHL are pretty much any other player.

As for racism in Canada, there's no place on this planet where some form of prejudice doesn't exist. Like any other country, racism/prejudice is just as easily fueled by power, as it is by ignorance. Knowing that, which one fuels yours?
STAND BY MY THOUGHT THAT CANADIANS GENERICALLY ARE SUBTLE RACISTS. I WORKED WITH THEM. I SAW IT. I HEARD IT. DENYING IT IS TO BURY ONE 'S HEAD IN THE SAND. I SAID MY FELLOW CUBANS ALSO PRACTICE THE SAME KIND. SO LET ME TELL YOU THIS, I AM CUBAN, I AM JEWISH. I HAVE GOTTEN ALL MY LIFE A DOUBLE WAMMY OF RACISM AND DISCRIMINATION. I , AS A JEWISH PERSON HAVE A LONG NOSE AND I CAN SMELL RACISM AND PREJUDISM WHEN I SEE IT AND HEAR IT.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #10: March 04, 2007, 10:13:43 PM »
As for Canadians being more subtle racists and bigots than Americans, that's probably true...ditto for the Swiss, the Dutch, and people from Iceland.  There being no objective measure of this, we'll just have to pass on that point.  I recall attending a game where the Edmonton Oilers were at the Cap Center in Landover, Maryland, where Grant Fuhr had bananas thrown at him and got called a ******, so maybe that's a poor baseline for comparison (the upside to that night was that a kid named Gretzky had like ten assists, which i believe may still be a standing record).  So to the bigots and racists out there, I say "F.U."

But I digress.

Brash got a shabby call there, but I doubt that race or nationality had much to do with it, any more than religious identity had to do with Jeff Halpern or Mathieu Schneider getting a 5-minute major for whatever.  Officiating ain't perfect, but as a 'subjective science' I think they do rather well.   

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #11: March 05, 2007, 01:04:40 AM »
I STAND BY MY THOUGHT THAT CANADIANS GENERICALLY ARE SUBTLE RACISTS. I WORKED WITH THEM. I SAW IT. I HEARD IT. DENYING IT IS TO BURY ONE 'S HEAD IN THE SAND. I SAID MY FELLOW CUBANS ALSO PRACTICE THE SAME KIND. SO LET ME TELL YOU THIS, I AM CUBAN, I AM JEWISH. I HAVE GOTTEN ALL MY LIFE A DOUBLE WAMMY OF RACISM AND DISCRIMINATION. I , AS A JEWISH PERSON HAVE A LONG NOSE AND I CAN SMELL RACISM AND PREJUDISM WHEN I SEE IT AND HEAR IT.

Do you really think because you're Jewish that your's is the only race on the planet who's prejudiced against? Maybe when you get off your holier than thou high horse, you'll wise up to the fact that there are all kinds of bigots. You see them, I see them, and excuse me if I'm not impressed with anyone who plays the roll of a poor persecuted victim. From what I've read in your posts, you're as big a racist and bigot as the people you complain about.

BTW, hockey players don't get an extra 2 minute penalty for smiling and skating daintily to the penalty box. If Brashear got the extra 2, it was for a reason.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #12: March 05, 2007, 08:34:38 AM »
As for Canadians being more subtle racists and bigots than Americans, that's probably true...ditto for the Swiss, the Dutch, and people from Iceland.  There being no objective measure of this, we'll just have to pass on that point.  I recall attending a game where the Edmonton Oilers were at the Cap Center in Landover, Maryland, where Grant Fuhr had bananas thrown at him and got called a ******, so maybe that's a poor baseline for comparison (the upside to that night was that a kid named Gretzky had like ten assists, which i believe may still be a standing record).  So to the bigots and racists out there, I say "F.U."

But I digress.

Brash got a shabby call there, but I doubt that race or nationality had much to do with it, any more than religious identity had to do with Jeff Halpern or Mathieu Schneider getting a 5-minute major for whatever.  Officiating ain't perfect, but as a 'subjective science' I think they do rather well.  

You ever hear of some of the crap that happens at european soccer games? I think most of the stories come out of italy

nospinzone1

« Reply #13: March 05, 2007, 09:18:24 AM »
Do you really think because you're Jewish that your's is the only race on the planet who's prejudiced against? Maybe when you get off your holier than thou high horse, you'll wise up to the fact that there are all kinds of bigots. You see them, I see them, and excuse me if I'm not impressed with anyone who plays the roll of a poor persecuted victim. From what I've read in your posts, you're as big a racist and bigot as the people you complain about.

BTW, hockey players don't get an extra 2 minute penalty for smiling and skating daintily to the penalty box. If Brashear got the extra 2, it was for a reason.

YOU HAVE NOT WALKED IN MY SHOES. I WAS BROUGHT UP BY MY PARENTS TO TREAT A PERSON AS AN INDIVIDUAL. I DONT PLAY MARTYR OR VICTIM. I HAVE LIVED IT....YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE NOT. YOU HAVE LIVED THE LIFE OF RILEY AS A WASP. SO DONT GIVE THAT SHEIS. I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT AND YOU ABSOLUTELY DO NOT.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #14: March 05, 2007, 11:23:54 AM »
Alright, I think this thread has run its course...  I don't see any good coming out of letting it go on :?