A LITTLE UNJUST POWER PLAY AT LAST NIGHT'S GAME GOT MY THINKING JUICES GOING ON THE SUBJECT. TOUGH MAN BRASHIAR OF THE CAPS GOT A FOUR MINUTE DOUBLE MINOR WHICH WAS REALLY ONE OF THE WORSE CALLS OF AN OFFICIAL I HAVE SEEN. BRASHIAR IS BLACK. THERE ARE NOT MANY BLACKS IN ANY CAPACITY IN THE NHL. WHY ARENT THERE MORE BLACK PLAYERS IN THE NHL? ARE REFEREES RACISTS ESPECIALLY IN THIS OCCASSION? THE INFRACTION WAS NOT EVEN CALLAEBLE WITH 99 PERCENT OF WHITE PLAYERS.
ABOUT CANADIANS IN GENERAL: I WORKED WITH SEVERAL CANADIAN FELLOWS FOR YEARS. THEY ARE NICE , HARD WORKING CHAPS, FRIENDLY AND WITTY. THEY ARE NOT AS OUTWARDLY AS RACISTS AS , LETS SAY A LOT OF AMERICANS. BUT THERE IS A QUIET RACISM IN THEM. MOSTLY I LIKE CANADIANS BUT THEY SEEM TO HAVE INHERITED SOME OF THE PACIFISM OF THE FRENCH.
PARDON THE RANT.
I attend or watch well over 100 hockey games a year, and here's my response to your rant.
- Referees have a much higher percentage of good days than players. And I do mean, MUCH HIGHER
- Referees "DO" have bad days
- Referees will sometimes let the mood of the game dictate how they officiate a game
- Referees WILL call some penalties as a preventative to keep control of the game
- Referees take part in at least as many, and very often more games per year than players do
- Referees are ALWAYS on the road
- Referees in the NHL see more of what is transpiring on the ice that any 3 fans with average knowledge of the game
- Referees will sometimes get watch memos on teams, players and even coaches. Race/color has nothing to do with the memos
- Referees unlike 99% of hockey fans know the game inside out
- Referees 99% of the time will just smile and let the fan who thinks he knows hockey, rant
When a referee makes a call in favor of the home team, the fans will with either say nothing, assuming it was a good call or they'll cheer, but when that same referee makes a call against their team, they call him names. It's all part of the game, but to call an official a racist because he made a call against a black player, is another form of racism and prejudice in itself. So while the referee smiles quietly, you go ahead and rant, because he knows fans are wrong most of the time due to lack of knowledge.
Oh, and having watched many a game in which Donald Brashear played for the Montreal Canadiens, I saw him get away with more than he was ever call for, so excuse me if I tell you to take your name calling and shove it. Brashear got the extra 2 minutes for UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT, not because he was black. Had he kept his mouth shut, he would have gotten the roughing and nothing else.
- The low number of black players in the NHL is neither the team's or the league's fault
- The low number of black players in the NHL might have more to do with their love of other sports
- The low number of black players in the NHL is due to a lack of interest in the sport
A very (VERY) small percentage of junior and college players end up playing profession hockey. Of those players, another very (VERY) small percentage end up playing at least one NHL game. The fact that the majority of players are white has nothing to do with the odds of a black player climbing the ladder to the NHL. They are the same, regardless of color. Regardless of how many black players there are in the NHL they share the same odds against them making the NHL are pretty much any other player.
As for racism in Canada, there's no place on this planet where some form of prejudice doesn't exist. Like any other country, racism/prejudice is just as easily fueled by power, as it is by ignorance. Knowing that, which one fuels yours?