Author Topic: Shirlington/ S Arlington area (advice needed)  (Read 1818 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Shirlington/ S Arlington area (advice needed)
« Reply #25: December 11, 2012, 11:18:20 AM »
don't leave Bethesda.  that's my advice 8)

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #26: December 11, 2012, 11:15:13 PM »
I would also observe that the Atlantis in Bradley Shopping Center (near intersection of Quaker, Braddock and King Street) has excellent steak and cheese subs and the fattest, most overstuffed with meat gyros in the area.
The reviews on Yelp are mixed. But I do love a good gyro. Do you recommend it?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #27: December 12, 2012, 11:04:48 AM »
The reviews on Yelp are mixed. But I do love a good gyro. Do you recommend it?

Can there be too much meat on a gyro?  Haven't had one there in about 5 years but back in the day, the answer was definitely yes.

Was never a fan of their pizza, the sauce has meat, not to my taste.  But their subs were very good.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #28: December 12, 2012, 11:35:20 AM »
Looks like I'll be making an offer after the Holidays. Hopefully it sticks.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #29: December 12, 2012, 11:56:24 AM »
Good luck

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #30: January 03, 2013, 03:57:14 PM »
Looks like I'm moving to Shirlington! Off of Walter Reed Dr S. Any Wnffers near who want to catch a road game at a local pub? (Don't know any there yet)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #31: January 03, 2013, 07:41:43 PM »
Looks like I'm moving to Shirlington! Off of Walter Reed Dr S. Any Wnffers near who want to catch a road game at a local pub? (Don't know any there yet)

I ain't sayin' nothing but there are some Nats on South Walter Reed only not your far south.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #32: January 04, 2013, 01:22:17 AM »
I moved to Arlington 2.5 years ago, and had no prior experience with the DC area. I'm still learning the lay of the land, but I wouldn't consider Bob and Edith's diner to be in Shirlington...isn't Shirlington strictly south of the Columbia Pike, with the "Columbia Pike" being its own rectangular neighborhood?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #33: January 04, 2013, 07:32:02 AM »
I moved to Arlington 2.5 years ago, and had no prior experience with the DC area. I'm still learning the lay of the land, but I wouldn't consider Bob and Edith's diner to be in Shirlington...isn't Shirlington strictly south of the Columbia Pike, with the "Columbia Pike" being its own rectangular neighborhood?

Shirlington is well south of the Pike (and the original Bob and Edith's is nowhere near Shirlington - it's in the Pike just a couple of blocks west of my place, about 2mi west of the Pentagon)...and (to another post here): if you think traffic in the Pike is bad now, wait till the streetcar goes in that the county board has been trying to jam down our throats these past few years. The traffic lights every 100ft or so make it sluggish enough as it is.

[Resident of the Pike 1979-present]

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #34: January 04, 2013, 09:26:45 AM »
As for a bar, I know of The Bungalow.  Several old CCSP bartenders and staff are there, including the bungalo's GM and one of the owners.  I tend to avoid drinking and driving like the plague, so I still have going there on the to do list.    link - http://www.bungalowsportsgrill.com/ordereze/Content/1/Summary.aspx

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #35: January 04, 2013, 10:35:19 AM »
As for a bar, I know of The Bungalow.  Several old CCSP bartenders and staff are there, including the bungalo's GM and one of the owners.  I tend to avoid drinking and driving like the plague, so I still have going there on the to do list.    link - http://www.bungalowsportsgrill.com/ordereze/Content/1/Summary.aspx

I lived in Shirlington when I first moved up to DC, right across the street from the Harris Teeter, nice area, plenty of eating choices, never made it in to the Bungalow, though I did hear good things about it, although parking is always a pain.
I could usually convince the bartenders at Charlie Chiang's to put on the Nats game....the sushi's pretty darn good there.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #36: January 04, 2013, 11:54:21 AM »
One could easily walk to Shirlington from Crystal City & catch a cab back.  Or there are buses running between Ballston & Crystal City that go to Shirlington

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #37: January 04, 2013, 12:46:41 PM »

Capital City brewpub in Shirlington, across the street from Carlyle and right on the 4 mile run bike trail.  MDS could be there by bike in 18 minutes.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38: January 04, 2013, 02:05:20 PM »
One could easily walk to Shirlington from Crystal City & catch a cab back.  Or there are buses running between Ballston & Crystal City that go to Shirlington
Been meaning to, but would only do it in daytime.  Sundays are a CCSP ritual for me, and Saturdays have the Fox blackout for MLB. 

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #39: January 05, 2013, 03:30:25 PM »
So you would walk from Crystal City to Shirlington by walking along Glebe, crossing 395, and then turning right?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40: January 05, 2013, 06:36:52 PM »
I would think it'd be South Glebe to maybe West Glebe (left), then a right down ? to get to the cross over 395

Offline mitlen

« Reply #41: January 05, 2013, 06:42:42 PM »

I think the Bob and Edith's conversation was more to the South Arlington part of this thread.     Anybody remember the Bob's Big Boy at S. Walter Reed and the Pike?

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #42: January 05, 2013, 06:53:29 PM »
I would think it'd be South Glebe to maybe West Glebe (left), then a right down ? to get to the cross over 395
Directions From Route 1 at S. Glebe Rd to Shirlington - just under 2 miles

1.Start out going west on S Glebe Rd I-395 S.
1.0 mi

2.Turn sharp left onto W Glebe Rd.W Glebe Rd is 0.4 miles past S Meade St
If you are on S Glebe Rd and reach 26th Rd S you've gone a little too far
0.2 mi

3.Take the 1st right onto Valley Dr.7-Eleven is on the left
0.2 mi

4.Valley Dr becomes Martha Custis Dr.
0.3 mi

5. Take the I-395 S ramp toward Shirlington/Richmond.If you reach Fitzgerald Ln you've gone about 0.1 miles too far
0.1 mi

6.Keep left at the fork in the ramp.
0.05 mi

7.Keep left at the fork in the ramp.
 0.1 mi

8.Keep right to take the S. Quincy St ramp.

Offline blue911

« Reply #43: January 05, 2013, 10:52:41 PM »
I think the Bob and Edith's conversation was more to the South Arlington part of this thread.     Anybody remember the Bob's Big Boy at S. Walter Reed and the Pike?

I think so. Across Walter Reed from the car dealership?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #44: January 06, 2013, 01:06:20 PM »
[...]Anybody remember the Bob's Big Boy at S. Walter Reed and the Pike?

Certainly do - in fact I remember when it was a Hot Shoppe back in the 1960's, as well as its later years under the name 'America's Best Diner'...sadly only a Rite-Aid (formerly Eckerd) pharmacy sits on the site now.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #45: January 06, 2013, 01:17:14 PM »
There used to be a good Thai place ("Rincome") inside the Travelodge on Columbia Pike...not sure if it is still there.  They had good northern Thai food (owner is originally from Chiang Mai), which is quite different from the southern Thai that tends to predominate around here.  The bar served up a pretty good 'suffering bastard' too. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #46: January 06, 2013, 03:13:33 PM »
I think so. Across Walter Reed from the car dealership?

Certainly do - in fact I remember when it was a Hot Shoppe back in the 1960's, as well as its later years under the name 'America's Best Diner'...sadly only a Rite-Aid (formerly Eckerd) pharmacy sits on the site now.

I spent '70 and '71 in the military in Arlington.   Not sure if I remember the Hot Shoppes or the car dealership.   (LOL).    I remember Brown Pontiac on the Pike just up the street from S. Walter Reed.      I do remember hittin'  Big Boy/Hot Shoppes on Sunday mornings after rough Saturday nights.   

Found some nice photos of old Arlington at this site:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/old_arlington/pool/7362863@N03/

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #47: January 07, 2013, 12:44:48 PM »
Anybody remember the Bob's Big Boy at S. Walter Reed and the Pike?

Yes, a high school hangout for me.  We called it Bob's Big Butt because of the well endowed derriere on the statue up front.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #48: January 07, 2013, 03:15:37 PM »
I lived in Fillmore Gardens in the mid-90's, which was accross Columbia Pike from Bob's Big Boy and Bob & Edith's.  I had a good friend commit suicide in my apartment while I lived there.

Anybody remember the Bob's Big Boy at S. Walter Reed and the Pike?